Images in public space

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Images in public space

Post by CapitalB »

Images in public space

Upon seeing a front window displaying the image of a pin-up woman with eggs substituting breasts on January 16th my words were “I find that objectifying and offensive.” Your response to me was to explain why I should not be offended and why the image was not objectifying.

I understand that we do not share one opinion of the image, yet it is so with the street upon which it remains. The space is one which we all share and should be respected as such. If a member of the community finds your contribution to the environment hostile, they should be taken seriously, that’s just common decency and a practice expected of any business on the street.

I certainly feel uncomfortable walking past your doors. I do not feel welcome there, or inclined to enjoy breakfast there on Saturday. I feel like the butt of a joke which is not only at my expense, but also every woman who shares my opinion of the image. I hope to make you aware of the discomfort you are creating and the impact it has on this community and your patrons, potential and otherwise.

My personal dream is a complete ban on advertisements in public. As has been done in a few places most notably Sao Paulo. Don't see it ever happening here but I can dream right.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Images in public space

Post by dogspoiler »

Completely unacceptable, the hooters should not be covered up but be openly displayed for our viewing pleasure.
Black Dogs Matter
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'd like to see the image in question.

A picture replacing a women's breasts with eggs doesn't sound all that offensive to me. It sounds like someone making a big fuss over nothing. Anything can be seen as offensive if you try hard enough.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What a crock, in today's day and age.........that is the biggest concern you have?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Eggs representing breast?!?!?... RELEASE THE HOUNDS

lol

I feel like this same individual will write in to rant about the man who complained about the exposed breast while breastfeeding.....same person often can't decide if a boob is bad or good.

Chill out, it's a boob....heck in this case an egg.....if you are objectified by an egg, perhaps you have some issues.

For example, just the other day I went grocery shopping, and would you believe they had sausage for sale?!?!? SAUSAGE, just an entire pack of little meat penises objectifying me right there in the store....I must say, the TRAVESTY of it all, my goodness.

:biggrin:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Oh no! Someone's offended by something trivial :200:

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Veovis wrote:Eggs representing breast?!?!?... RELEASE THE HOUNDS

lol

I feel like this same individual will write in to rant about the man who complained about the exposed breast while breastfeeding.....same person often can't decide if a boob is bad or good.

Chill out, it's a boob....heck in this case an egg.....if you are objectified by an egg, perhaps you have some issues.

For example, just the other day I went grocery shopping, and would you believe they had sausage for sale?!?!? SAUSAGE, just an entire pack of little meat penises objectifying me right there in the store....I must say, the TRAVESTY of it all, my goodness.

:biggrin:

Damn you Veovis, I knew there was something I forgot to pick up in Costco.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

People really need to get over the human body. We're born nude, we are always nude under our clothes and most of us have our most enjoyable moments nude. Why do people have to be so prudish about what we are?

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Now the sausage comment has made me wonder about my corn dogs in a stick no less.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

You know with time and patience those eggs would have matured to become......

Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Alert! Costco Hot Dogs are now only available for 18+. You are no longer able to buy them for children!

You might want to be careful buying for your Wife as well as she may start comparing and become very critical.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Bsuds wrote:Alert! Costco Hot Dogs are now only available for 18+. You are no longer able to buy them for children!

You might want to be careful buying for your Wife as well as she may start comparing and become very critical.

If she comments on the size of the wiener I will comment on how nice the buns are.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Come now Veovis
we ladies can measure
did you mean coktail wienies?
I agree be nice not to have freakin ads everywhere.
Dizzy that's a perfect meme.
But hey we are offended by her offendedness.
wonder why eggs for breasts?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

normaM wrote:I agree be nice not to have freakin ads everywhere.

I agree, enough already of every second commercial on tv targeting
Feminine Hygiene and what not.

It is truly important. :smt045
But, a minute out of every five important ?
I think people get the idea.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ad creep is just out of control.

It's everywhere, I really noticed the well placed Walmart bags in tv show and the camera mugging the bags. No longer is the ad between breaks, it's right on the tv show. The same with movies.

Can't watch a vid anymore without the ads.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”