Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Post by TreeGuy »

dirtybiker wrote:Holy Moly, that happens quick !

Yup! When I was up a tree and they are dragging branches away I kept a sharp eye on my rope.

I also worked with a guy years ago that got out of the bucket truck and for some reason he was walking around with his lanyard still attached and dragging, moron, you are supposed to un-attach it from your harness and leave it attached to the boom. It got caught up in some brush and was fed into a chuck and duck chipper. Smashed his head on the shroud and KO'd him, luckily the rope broke off and didn't keep feeding.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Many years ago worked with a guy, first time pulling over-length
he cut a corner too tight, hooked a bucket equipped line service van
that had a man up in the bucket working.

Needless to say, when they ended up face to face after he
came down.
The language was a tad strong.

Pretty sure that was many years before fall protection was a part of
any height work.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Does anyone know the purpose of a 2,000 foot pole with a lightbulb topping? :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I believe one like the one shown in the video above are usually warning lights on top of high towers such as communication towers. They are not just a straight tower for the light but they are dangerous to get to.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Catsumi wrote:Does anyone know the purpose of a 2,000 foot pole with a lightbulb topping? :200:

Aircraft warning lights
A high-intensity white strobe light is used on structures that are taller than 700 feet (213.4 meters). These lights provide the highest visibility both day and night.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oneh2obabe wrote:Aircraft warning lightsA high-intensity white strobe light is used on structures that are taller than 700 feet (213.4 meters). These lights provide the highest visibility both day and night

The Loran tower west of Williams Lake was really tall and had one. The strobe at dusk could be seen pretty far south.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/th ... e16352517/

Must be some statistical conclusion....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

seewood wrote:https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/and-the-top-10-most-dangerous-jobs-are/article16352517/

Must be some statistical conclusion....

I would have thought that farmers would’ve been further up the list. Maybe there is just last reporting on that because they are family owned and ran.

And not surprisingly fireman did not make the list. See my previous comment on this further up the thread.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

oldtrucker wrote:Some jobs that are sort of dangerous can become very dangerous in direct proportion to how fatigued a person is. That fatigue over a long period of time, perhaps years can adversely effect a persons overall health as well. Like if 'treeguy' was working 14 hours a day ,and was very tired and neglected to tie a safety line properly ,it could lead to a accident.Or, if I was working for 15 hours a day, day after day and fell asleep at the wheel...well...to nasty to think of.

Oh sure you had to 1 up me on the hours worked. LMAO
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Dangerous job.

Voicing personal opinions and views to someone with an opposing view.

Specially when they are bat- :swear: crazy raving lunatics. :smt045

[icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

My Daddy had a dangerous job, Welder on shut downs. Get a flash in face/body, step back and you don't bounce. Know an Ice Pilot ( big nope)
But I bet most workplace jobs are more mundane type jobs- people get tired/careless. Figure a dangerous job ppl would stay on their toes and alert.
Worked with a fair number of clients who were injured ( badly) at jobs, seemingly safe jobs like Dog Groomer.
I'm so scared of things happening I wear a bike helmet having sex :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

The good old days, before unions, safety etc.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7QCYDzsQ_yM?rel=0
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

J H C, I got attacked with a walker once. :200: ^^ But this?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

oldtrucker wrote:Some jobs that are sort of dangerous can become very dangerous in direct proportion to how fatigued a person is. That fatigue over a long period of time, perhaps years can adversely effect a persons overall health as well. Like if 'treeguy' was working 14 hours a day ,and was very tired and neglected to tie a safety line properly ,it could lead to a accident.Or, if I was working for 15 hours a day, day after day and fell asleep at the wheel...well...to nasty to think of.

[quote=“TreeGuy”]Oh sure you had to 1 up me on the hours worked. LMAO[/quote]

oldtrucker wrote:Ops,I didn't mean to one up you. Most of my days are 14 hours. Once a month-ish 18 hours. Couple times a year- over 20. Exhausting and dangerous. Anything over 16 and I feel physically sick.

We do 4 12’s when plowing, but often you get called in for extra shifts. I can’t remember how days straight I worked last year but after awhile you can’t think straight. Bouncing around that cab, controlling the blades and sander while avoiding morons on the road gets difficult when your brain is foggy.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

When I was in GF Strong I shared a room with an old guy that rolled his gravel truck. His front tire blew which made him lose control, he went over the shoulder and the truck just started rolling. He said his seat became unattached from the floor. He was in pretty good shape considering, what he went through and the fact that he was 70 years old. He was determined to leave there walking.

Return to “Social Concerns”