Support Animals? Going too far?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Support Animals? Going too far?

Post by Bsuds »

So in the News the last couple of days is a story of an Airline (Delta I think) refusing to let a support animal board the aircraft.
The animal in question was a Peacock. A rather large Peacock.

So my question for you is do you think these people are trying to take this too far?

Apparently some fliers have taken such animals like Spiders, Turtles, and other exotic animals.

I think if you can get emotional support from a Turtle or a Spider you can get the same from a stuffed Bear or any other stuffie.

Grow up people and deal with it!

I do realize there are some people who this helps but I find it hard to believe a Spider can help you fly in a plane and don't blame an Airline for saying enough is enough!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Support Animals? Going too far?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Delta Airlines is cracking down on service animals as well as emotional support animals. Other airlines said they are looking at doing the same.

Different airlines have different rules about in what situations you can take animals on the flight. Typically, Delta allows cats, dogs and birds on flights if they’re contained in a carrier that fits under the seat and you pay an extra fee. They also allow service animals, like seeing eye dogs, to aid the disabled.

But with an increasing number of people claiming that they need their pets on board with them, Delta has updated their rules. The airline now says if your pet is going to fly in the cabin as a trained service animal, then you have to submit vet health forms and/or immunization records and a doctor’s note confirming you need the service animal 48 hours before your plane takes off.

http://www.newsweek.com/delta-airlines- ... als-785819
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The 'emotional support' animals thing is just largely a lot of people taking advantage of something that can let them more easily take their pets places. They've basically just found a way to legalize/normalize their selfish anti social behaviour.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Hey now. I'd be lost without my support unicorn.
Most animals I support being allowed as service/support creatures, but a peacock? They are mean
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Absolutely going too far. I'll bet that bird wasn't given anything to calm it down and they make a racket that would burst your eardrums on a plane.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... nimal.html

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/unit ... ark-flight
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Yah, this whole "emotional support" animal thing is starting to go to the extremes. And is starting to cause issues for people who actually need the aid of certified, and trained support dogs.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/human-rights/guide-and-service-dog
hail Satan y'all
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I sneak my support animals on.
I don't know what I would do without my lice and my tapeworm !

Everyone else's just seem to be a crutch, good for the airlines pinning them
out, enough is enough, it's already been taken too far.

Just like this post !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm canceling my air travel if I can't bring my baboon.

But seriously, the need for a peacock over and above the health and safety of other passangers? Selfish and stupid behavior always destroys the good will of the company providing an accomodation. Such as Whatwhat has linked in the above.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

If people can't get on a plane without a hug from their emotional support baboon/peacock/raccoon maybe they should just not fly. Its silly to expect 200 people to deal with a peacock just for one person. Seems more logical for the nervous nellie to accommodate the other 200 people by traveling by car. But maybe that's too insensitive...

Btw, I get nervous unless I have a lie-flat seat in business class and champagne before take-off. Also the whole row to myself. The airline really should accommodate my emotional needs just like those with support animals. I'll also need 2 extra blankets, 3 pillows and a foot massage. And another champagne, please.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

slootman wrote:If people can't get on a plane without a hug from their emotional support baboon/peacock/raccoon maybe they should just not fly. Its silly to expect 200 people to deal with a peacock just for one person. Seems more logical for the nervous nellie to accommodate the other 200 people by traveling by car. But maybe that's too insensitive...

Btw, I get nervous unless I have a lie-flat seat in business class and champagne before take-off. Also the whole row to myself. The airline really should accommodate my emotional needs just like those with support animals. I'll also need 2 extra blankets, 3 pillows and a foot massage. And another champagne, please.

You forgot nicer headphones, a direct line to the pilot and your choice of movies, pre-ordered pre-flight. Are you getting more accomodating to them?

By car? Ever try to make it to Hawaii by car? The sandwiches get soggy.

And it was a choice between my service baboon or my service tiger. I had to narrow it down.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

When I fly I always have my gorgeous skunk along. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:So in the News the last couple of days is a story of an Airline (Delta I think) refusing to let a support animal board the aircraft.
The animal in question was a Peacock. A rather large Peacock.

So my question for you is do you think these people are trying to take this too far?

Apparently some fliers have taken such animals like Spiders, Turtles, and other exotic animals.

I think if you can get emotional support from a Turtle or a Spider you can get the same from a stuffed Bear or any other stuffie.

Grow up people and deal with it!

I do realize there are some people who this helps but I find it hard to believe a Spider can help you fly in a plane and don't blame an Airline for saying enough is enough!

None of the animals that you have listed above have NO ABILITY to show any type of compassion, unlike a dog or cat. AND, I have my doubts about cats. (They just hang around for the free food and the benefits of being associated with humans.
I would highly object to a cat on an airplane, since I am so allergic to them.
Hey, if you can't have peanuts on an airplane, I don't think that anyone else should have a cat.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:Hey now. I'd be lost without my support unicorn.

I would have bet yours was a "My little pony". :D
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

slootman wrote: Its silly to expect 200 people to deal with a peacock just for one person.

Well maybe if it was turned into Peacock McNuggets... :smt045
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

normaM wrote:Hey now. I'd be lost without my support unicorn.

Bsuds wrote:I would have bet yours was a "My little pony". :D

Good guess:
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”