Post by dirtybiker »

Seven minutes worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YhhMHdNY
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Looming labour shortage

Post by Urban Cowboy »

AlienSoldier wrote:Jesus Christ, you guys talk like $30 to $30 is a decent wage. I can barely survive on 72/hr. To each there own I guess.

Sorry but if you're having trouble surviving on $72hr, I'd have to say there are other issues in play, as in challenges living within means.

Heck, set the sights high enough, as to what a person feels they are entitled to in life, and $1000hr could wind up being not enough.

In my opinion that's often the problem some have, in that they think they can graduate high school, hit the work force with zero practical experience, expect CEO wages, and the first concern they have is when is vacation, and for how long? Might be worth adding they'll also often figure that several trips a year to the tropics is the norm.

In situations like that, yeah, I can see some disappointment on their horizon.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

voice of reason wrote:as long as these jobs pay waay more in alberta than they do in the okanagan all the good workers are going to head out of town to greener pastures and leave the guys who cant pass a drug test behind

Yup, head up north.
Make more money.
Spend more money.
Leave your family here.

Leave your wife lonely.
Miss out on your kids growing up.
Borrow on your homes equity to buy toys.

And when the wheels fall off you realize you are no further ahead....

You can no longer afford the toys.
Your kids are grown up.
Your wife is no longer lonely, but she’s also no longer your wife.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

TreeGuy wrote:And when the wheels fall off you realize you are no further ahead....

Your kids are grown up.

TG's last few lines
Sound like an Veteran Over The Road Truckers life right there. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
put-for-dough
Fledgling

Post by put-for-dough »

Kelowna is very expensive to live in. I have lived here since 1963. I am retired journeyman electrician. I have worked IBEW as well as many underpaying companys here. I was also employed by School district #23 who could barely keep journeyman at $30 an hour plus benefits. the answer is not foreign labour but to pay a decent wage to those who have helped build this town thru both good times and bad. quit leaning on foreigners who then bring their parents who have never worked here to bleed our country of what my and your parents have worked hard and suffered poor conditions and wages to build. let the wealthy pay for what they are reaping.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

put-for-dough wrote:Kelowna is very expensive to live in. I have lived here since 1963. I am retired journeyman electrician. I have worked IBEW as well as many underpaying companys here. I was also employed by School district #23 who could barely keep journeyman at $30 an hour plus benefits. the answer is not foreign labour but to pay a decent wage to those who have helped build this town thru both good times and bad. quit leaning on foreigners who then bring their parents who have never worked here to bleed our country of what my and your parents have worked hard and suffered poor conditions and wages to build. let the wealthy pay for what they are reaping.

Only flaw I see in that argument, is what I take note of all too often, that being too many people that have it in their heads that the other side is always greener.

With all due respect, the logical response to your complaint would be if you think $30hr with great benefits isn't sufficient, then why do I rarely see the complainers, take a pro active approach, by starting their own company?

I mean over and over, I keep seeing people complain about greedy business owners, blah blah blah, but these same ones, are rarely ever willing, to take the financial risks, associated with starting and operating a business.

I raised a family on $30hr so I guess my expectations were just a bit more reasonable than some.

Then again, I haven't gone through life feeling I'm owed a tropical vacation every six months either.

Where I will agree with you, is that I do feel our own long time residents, should be treated as well as some of these refugees and whatnot that Canada takes in.

I have no problem at all accepting foreigners, but I do begin to have one when they qualify for thousands a month in benefits sometimes, while our elderly have to live off CPP and OAS that combined equates to peanuts, and it's not a hand out, given that they paid into it all their workings lives, as did their employers.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Old Techie wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Jesus Christ, you guys talk like $30 to $30 is a decent wage. I can barely survive on 72/hr. To each there own I guess.

Sorry but if you're having trouble surviving on $72hr, I'd have to say there are other issues in play, as in challenges living within means.

Heck, set the sights high enough, as to what a person feels they are entitled to in life, and $1000hr could wind up being not enough.

In my opinion that's often the problem some have, in that they think they can graduate high school, hit the work force with zero practical experience, expect CEO wages, and the first concern they have is when is vacation, and for how long? Might be worth adding they'll also often figure that several trips a year to the tropics is the norm.

I should have clarified, almost 50% goes into savings and running other alternate businesss while the rest is used to live. It seems a lot less because I am putting the original amount to work.

I do agree you on people thinking it’s easy to be a CEO or to manage, it’s not. Lots of late nights, no one says good job and people usually are looking out to make the most from you.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TreeGuy wrote:
Yup, head up north.
Make more money.
Spend more money.
Leave your family here.

Leave your wife lonely.
Miss out on your kids growing up.

Hmmm, kinda the mentality and work ethics that pretty much built this country. We as a society changed quite a bit since then, working away from home was the norm, moving to where the work was is what made a family strong, making personal sacrifices is what gave us a better tomorrow.

What happened? Oh yeah, this ...

TreeGuy wrote:Borrow on your homes equity to buy toys.

And when the wheels fall off you realize you are no further ahead....

Your kids are grown up.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

^^^Awesome^^^

My dad was a boilermaker, he traveled a lot. Even took a 2 year contract on the Sunshine Coast and we lived on the Island. People thought my folks divorced. In 2017 my folks celebrated 50 years of marriage. And in their 70’s they are healthy and enjoying the fruits of their labour and sacrifice.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

alanjh595 wrote:
MCB wrote:All I know is I'm giving my notice at work on Monday and starting a new job up North-ish in March essentially due to all of the above; it's not just the wages that drive skilled people away it's also the cost of living and lack of opportunity here in Vancouver Junior.

Honestly it is what it is!

AND yet there are so many that lavish in the sand and sun of the Okanagan and complain that they are not paid enough compared to workers "up North".

Just another snowflake driven, 1st world problem.

Most of what I enjoy in the Okanagan has had nothing to do with the sand or sun...or lake even. I like the hills and trails...and hills and trails can be found anywhere! Most of my local trade experience has been in local steel shops and good lord...summers are character building...add welding into the mix and my god! [icon_lol2.gif]
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Old Techie wrote:

AlienSoldier wrote:
I should have clarified, almost 50% goes into savings and running other alternate businesss while the rest is used to live. It seems a lot less because I am putting the original amount to work.

I do agree you on people thinking it’s easy to be a CEO or to manage, it’s not. Lots of late nights, no one says good job and people usually are looking out to make the most from you.

Exactly, and many of the ones who complain on social media about greedy employers, never acknowledge this aspect that comes with ownership.

They just see the size of his home, and make of car that he drives, with that being enough for many of them to judge negatively.

Some will go on tangents about foreigners coming in and taking over, again judging by size of homes and vehicles driven, not once taking into consideration that many of these families come here for a better life, and they sacrifice by working together as multiple members of an extended family, often crowded for years in a modest home while they pay it off. Once they do that they help the next person get one and pay it off. This is common in some cultures but not so much here.

Here the young get married, and right off feel they are owed/deserve a four bedroom home with three car garage, granite counter tops, swimming pool, matching BMW's, pair of snowmobiles, pair of ATV's, boat, and three trips to Fiji each year. Then they gripe about not being paid a living wage. [icon_lol2.gif]
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:Here the young get married, and right off feel they are owed/deserve a four bedroom home with three car garage, granite counter tops, swimming pool, matching BMW's, pair of snowmobiles, pair of ATV's, boat, and three trips to Fiji each year. Then they gripe about not being paid a living wage. [icon_lol2.gif]

HAHAHAHAHA oh man your in a land of delusion. I don't know if you've ever actually spoken to any young people but most of them either don't drive at all or drive a 15+ year old vehicle, live in a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment that costs between $900-1400 on the low side. The only people I know that expect to live like you described are baby boomers.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

CapitalB wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA oh man your in a land of delusion. I don't know if you've ever actually spoken to any young people but most of them either don't drive at all or drive a 15+ year old vehicle, live in a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment that costs between $900-1400 on the low side. The only people I know that expect to live like you described are baby boomers.

You need to get out more. Sorry, Old Techie’s post is closer to the mark than yours.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Dizzy1 wrote:You need to get out more. Sorry, Old Techie’s post is closer to the mark than yours.

Where are you getting your info about young people from? Is it the reality TV? Those are fake people.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

CapitalB wrote:
Where are you getting your info about young people from? Is it the reality TV? Those are fake people.

My suggestion to you that you get out more should be your first clue ;)

Return to “Central Okanagan”