Looming labour shortage

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Looming labour shortage

Post by CapitalB »

Dizzy1 wrote:
CapitalB wrote:
Where are you getting your info about young people from? Is it the reality TV? Those are fake people.

My suggestion to you that you get out more should be your first clue ;)

I'm out all the time. I know and spend time with people between the ages of 20 and 50+ on a regular basis. The only people I know who live like that are boomers and maybe the dude bro's that work/worked in the oil patch. The vast majority of people however live like normal people, and really are just trying to attain a normal life where they can eat healthy and live in a place without spending every single dime they have on bills.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

CapitalB wrote:
I'm out all the time. I know and spend time with people between the ages of 20 and 50+ on a regular basis. The only people I know who live like that are boomers and maybe the dude bro's that work/worked in the oil patch. The vast majority of people however live like normal people, and really are just trying to attain a normal life where they can eat healthy and live in a place without spending every single dime they have on bills.

Lol. The OK is a haven for young professionals who are in way over their heads with lifestyle debt. Spend some time on the lake one summer, the young ones in their mortgaged boats out number their baby boomer counterparts 10 to 1. Of course they have to have the fancy pick me up truck and matching trailer to go with it :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Dizzy1 wrote:Lol. The OK is a haven for young professionals who are in way over their heads with lifestyle debt. Spend some time on the lake one summer, the young ones in their mortgaged boats out number their baby boomer counterparts 10 to 1. Of course they have to have the fancy pick me up truck and matching trailer to go with it :up:

I don't know when I look at stats for wealth and population count by age group things look a lot different than you describe.

http://www.ccsd.ca/factsheets/demographics/

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/140225/t140225b001-eng.htm
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

CapitalB wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:Lol. The OK is a haven for young professionals who are in way over their heads with lifestyle debt. Spend some time on the lake one summer, the young ones in their mortgaged boats out number their baby boomer counterparts 10 to 1. Of course they have to have the fancy pick me up truck and matching trailer to go with it :up:

I don't know when I look at stats for wealth and population count by age group things look a lot different than you describe.

Dizzy was talking about Kelowna, not BC. Kelowna's population is quite young, not relative to Canada but to BC. The vast majority of places in BC have older populations than Kelowna.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:Dizzy was talking about Kelowna, not BC. Kelowna's population is quite young, not relative to Canada but to BC. The vast majority of places in BC have older populations than Kelowna.

Statistics Canada doesn't agree:
Average age of the population Kelowna - 44.0 BC - 42.3
Median age of the population Kelowna - 45.5 BC - 43.0

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CMACA&Code1=915&Geo2=PR&Code2=59&Data=Count&SearchText=british%20columbia&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&TABID=1
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Glacier wrote:Dizzy was talking about Kelowna, not BC. Kelowna's population is quite young, not relative to Canada but to BC. The vast majority of places in BC have older populations than Kelowna.

Kelowna has a fairly old population with an average age of 41.1 years, compared to the Canadian average of 37.6. Just 4.8% of the population is under the age of 5, compared with 5.6% for all of Canada.

Document sources are at the bottom of the linked page.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
CapitalB wrote:Where are you getting your info about young people from? Is it the reality TV? Those are fake people.

My suggestion to you that you get out more should be your first clue ;)

CapitalB wrote:I'm out all the time. I know and spend time with people between the ages of 20 and 50+ on a regular basis. The only people I know who live like that are boomers and maybe the dude bro's that work/worked in the oil patch. The vast majority of people however live like normal people, and really are just trying to attain a normal life where they can eat healthy and live in a place without spending every single dime they have on bills.

I have a very difficult time believing you are out all the time in Kelowna CapitalB, that being so because I am as well, and have been for the past thirty years, and my work takes me into a lot of homes each year.

Though as with any topic there are a few exceptions, the fact of the matter as observed, is the boomers I see do live what I'd call a normal lifestyle, while on the other hand the 20 through 40 year old demographic, are the ones I repeatedly see with F350 pickups in the drive, some amusingly sporting business decals, that confirm there's absolutely zero justification for having that vehicle in a business sense, other than to tow the boat beside the garage, or the snowmobile trailer, or the ATV's, all for personal pleasure, and often this truck is flanked by a BMW SUV.

Many many times when I ask if I can use the garage for a few hours, the answer is no because the thing is jam packed with their toys and assorted junk, which explains why the vehicles are always in the driveway.

I won't even go into how decadent a display of going overboard with electronics, the interior of these places often are. This being a complete contrast to what I observe in baby boomer demographic homes.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Old Techie wrote: and they sacrifice by working together as multiple members of an extended family, often crowded for years in a modest home while they pay it off. Once they do that they help the next person get one and pay it off.

Nailed it Old Techie;

I have worked with 3rd Generation Caucasion (if I'm even allowed to state) OK Valley people

3 siblings and 2 cousins pooled resources to purchase property, they lived and shared all that
it took to build on said property, a nice place.
From there, with equity, purchase more property, all band together to build it up as the next in line,
by age.
so on, so forth.

Now, five nice properties and homes that they all contributed to establish together,
for the betterment of all. (concerned)

They got it, they learned.

Most in North America don't get it.

Never happy with sharing (I fall into this also)
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dirtybiker wrote:
Old Techie wrote: and they sacrifice by working together as multiple members of an extended family, often crowded for years in a modest home while they pay it off. Once they do that they help the next person get one and pay it off.

Nailed it Old Techie;

I have worked with 3rd Generation Caucasion (if I'm even allowed to state) OK Valley people

3 siblings and 2 cousins pooled resources to purchase property, they lived and shared all that
it took to build on said property, a nice place.
From there, with equity, purchase more property, all band together to build it up as the next in line,
by age.
so on, so forth.

Now, five nice properties and homes that they all contributed to establish together,
for the betterment of all. (concerned)

They got it, they learned.

Most in North America don't get it.

Never happy with sharing (I fall into this also)

It's a pity that most in North America don't get it because anyone could do it, and make headway much quicker than working alone.

The biggest expenditure, those fortunate enough to qualify for one, can make, is a house, and it takes most many decades to pay it off, because they are working alone, and so much of their money goes to service interest.

If you work together with others, and pay it off in just a few years, the money saved on interest goes toward purchasing the next home, rather than servicing debt.

It must be a culture thing or something, that the concept just doesn't register here, then remarkably enough, the very ones who balk at engaging in such a concept, squawk and point fingers at the immigrants who do practice this, and as a result their progress is notable. Unfairly however, the ones squawking always attribute the progress these people make, to handouts, or ripping off workers, which is rarely ever the case. These people just work hard collectively and look after each other.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Like everywhere else there are many unmotivated workers, the people who state they won't work for less that 30 and weekends off, blah blah. The tired " i'll go work up North " well you best have the skills they need or a week later you being sent home by bus. Of course then we have the greedy businesses = any type of boom and they can't be bothered to do your dinky lil $12,000 job ( reno etc) as they are planning to score with developers. When that falls thru they moan about how no locals suppport their said company.
When Labourers start at 9am and knock off before 4.
Any labour shortages will be addressed with workers from other Countries -
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Old Techie nailed it square once again.
and
I have been known to do some squawking, as he says, myself.

The upcoming Labour force could do themselves well to take a long hard look
at themselves, in the stead of putting their energy into pointing fingers at others.

Sooner, rather than later. The mistakes I have made.

another old timer tip, many ways to say it.
"Open your ears, not your mouth."

"You don't learn if you don't listen. Always listen"
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Let's do some math together.

There are 365 days in a year = 52 weeks.
Each has a weekend = 2 days off = 52x2=104
365-104 = 261 days
you get 2 weeks off for annual vacation = 14 days
261-14= 247
there are 10 stat. holidays/yr
261-10 = 237
Since you only work 8 hrs./day and a day has 24 hours. you only work 1/3 of each day.
237 divided by 3 = 79

Therefore; you actually only work 79 days out of every year.

AND you want a raise????
Bring back the LIKE button.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

CapitalB wrote:

Who's mentioned anything about one's net worth? :138:

Net worth isn't the point anyone was trying to make, the point that was being made is that the young ones are trying to live a lifestyle they can't afford :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

A few years ago my wife and I put our house on the market. It was nothing fancy, but it was a nice house in a nice location. During one showing, I heard a young, professional couple talking after they had finished their walk-about. Her comment was "I don't want a starter house, I want this house".
Well, they bought the house, and ended up splitting up about three months after moving in.
My wife and I were in our 40s and this was only the second house we owned. I always worked two jobs from the time I was 18, right up until about ten years ago. One job to further my profession and a second job to allow us a few extras.
Never once have I expected anything I wasn't willing to work for myself.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

RupertBear wrote:A few years ago my wife and I put our house on the market. It was nothing fancy, but it was a nice house in a nice location. During one showing, I heard a young, professional couple talking after they had finished their walk-about. Her comment was "I don't want a starter house, I want this house".
Well, they bought the house, and ended up splitting up about three months after moving in.

We had neighbours exactly like that once - as well as the couple's that bought our last two houses. In all three cases, the house's went on the market within a year of buying it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”