Arrested at Gunpoint

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Arrested at Gunpoint

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:
Anyone I know uses a gun case to transport. I'm surprised neither you nor Sparki55 realize that is the safest way to get it home.

Talk about leaping here. How the heck do you interpret that post as me saying it's OK to carry around a shotgun outside of a case? Especially after this post I made earlier in the thread?

TylerM4 wrote:If you're packing a shotgun openly in a public place - expect something like this to happen.

Yes, it's legal to own a shotgun assuming you have a valid PAL. But responsible gun owners would never openly carry like that. It's almost always in a case unless you're in the bush, at the range, or actively cleaning/maintaining it inside your private residence. I won't even carry my shotgun across my driveway to my vehicle without it being in a case.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Because of your reply - who walks around with a sawed off shotgun without it in a case? Even going to the gun range people use cases.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:Because of your reply - who walks around with a sawed off shotgun without it in a case? Even going to the gun range people use cases.

Stop, read what I was replying to, understand the topic.

The post I replied to essentially said "There's no reason to have a sawed off shotgun outside of your residence". My reply was essentially "Yes, there are a few good reasons for why it would leave the house". No discussion of inside or outside of the case.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

TylerM4 wrote:Stop, read what I was replying to, understand the topic.

The post I replied to essentially said "There's no reason to have a sawed off shotgun outside of your residence". My reply was essentially "Yes, there are a few good reasons for why it would leave the house". No discussion of inside or outside of the case.

I think you missed the essence - it was about an uncovered sawed off shotgun - that was the whole point and why the call.

Here's an explanation that might be of benefit to some:

https://nfa.ca/legal-issue/barrel-and-firearms-lengths/
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:I think you missed the essence - it was about an uncovered sawed off shotgun - that was the whole point and why the call.

That's not what was being discussed between alanjh595 and I. If you read those posts, it's clear. We were discussing why you'd have a sawed off shotgun outside of the home REGARDLESS of it being inside/outside of a case.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

TylerM4 wrote:That's not what was being discussed between alanjh595 and I. If you read those posts, it's clear. We were discussing why you'd have a sawed off shotgun outside of the home REGARDLESS of it being inside/outside of a case.

lol - I don't think so. The whole discussion was based on the initial story. I don't think anyone is silly enough to think (well maybe someone is) that a gun wouldn't be transported from one place to another. The whole point was it not being concealed.

I'm sure alanjh595 will clarify it.
:topic:

Has it been determined the shotgun was sawed off?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:lol - I don't think so. The whole discussion was based on the initial story. I don't think anyone is silly enough to think (well maybe someone is) that a gun wouldn't be transported from one place to another. The whole point was it not being concealed.

Could you please go back and read the exchange like I asked? It's very clear that alanjh595 was making a similar argument.

Let me quote it again:
alanjh595 wrote: Since that weapon was seen outside of the home, it must be for offensive use, rather than defensive protection.

He was basically saying the only reason to have a sawed off shotgun outside of the house is to use it for violence. My response was essentially "There's times you'll need to transport it from one place to another". You somehow decided that this meant I was saying it's OK to take it out in public without a case. Regardless of his clarification, me saying "there's times you'll need to transport" is not me saying "It's OK to have it in public without a case"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol (don't assume what someone is trying to say and a sawed off shotgun is illegal so I doubt someone would take it to a gun range)

:topic:

Reading the news it appears nothing else has been released and no indication it was sawed off except for second hand information.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

If you want to find out if a "sawed off" shotgun is legal or not, try sawing off the barrel of a shotgun and invite the police over for a look see.

Sawed off and short barrel are two very different stories.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

TylerM4 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote: Since that weapon was seen outside of the home, it must be for offensive use, rather than defensive protection.

"

Tyler, have you not figured it out yet. IT matters not legal or illegal, what ever your knowledge is about weapons matters not. Until you 100% agree with that person you will be in a argument. Let it go.....you won't be right.

Sorry, hope this helps!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

mexi cali wrote:If you want to find out if a "sawed off" shotgun is legal or not, try sawing off the barrel of a shotgun and invite the police over for a look see.

You would likely find 50% would a) not recognize it as a shitgun. b) Would not know if it was legal or not.

Just saying.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ken7 wrote:Tyler, have you not figured it out yet. IT matters not legal or illegal, what ever your knowledge is about weapons matters not. Until you 100% agree with that person you will be in a argument. Let it go.....you won't be right.

Sorry, hope this helps!

Excellent reply. I agree. :up:
Bring back the LIKE button.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Ken7 wrote:
mexi cali wrote:If you want to find out if a "sawed off" shotgun is legal or not, try sawing off the barrel of a shotgun and invite the police over for a look see.

You would likely find 50% would a) not recognize it as a shitgun. b) Would not know if it was legal or not.

Just saying.

Is that a non lethal alternative ?
Black Dogs Matter
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

dogspoiler wrote:

Ken7 wrote:You would likely find 50% would a) not recognize it as a shitgun. b) Would not know if it was legal or not.

Just saying.

BUT it is legal, and a means of home invasion deturance that has no useful purposes outside the residence or in sight of others.

How about some kids playing in their own front yard?
Police rushed to Highway 33 and Dougall Road Thursday evening, pulling over a car and arresting four people at gunpoint.

Kelowna RCMP received reports of two men with handguns, prompting the large response, just before 5 p.m.

The reality of the situation proved to be less serious.

"Members located the vehicle and safely took four youths into custody, only to find out they were playing with plastic toy guns from the dollar store on their front lawn," said Const. Lesley Smith.

After arresting the young people one at a time, with their own very real guns drawn, police determined there had been a misunderstanding.

Smith says police gave the four young people a "stern talking to" before releasing them.

"They realized how serious their actions were and how their actions were perceived by their neighbours," Smith said. "The youths and their families were very embarrassed."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -to-arrest
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

"The youths and their families were very embarrassed."
And so they should be - it's not like this hasn't happened before and well publicized.

Return to “Central Okanagan”