Released "early" Gursimar Bedi

my5cents
Guru

Released "early" Gursimar Bedi

Post by my5cents »

To start, we still must endure the extreme low quality of media reporting...

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/218003 ... jail-early

The reporter (using the term "reporter" to discribe the person who wrote this,,, just caused Jack Webster to roll over in his grave) missed the entire main thrust of this story.

The family of Maple Batalia are aghast that the person who was convicted of being an accessory after the fact in her murder by her ex-boyfriend was released "early". Bedi was sentenced to 22 months, but was given 4 months credit for pre-trial custody, something distasteful but standard in this great country of justice.

In Canada there is another law. A person incarcerated for a crime must be released after serving 2/3's of their sentence. It's called "mandatory release". There are exceptions but it is the general rule.

The story in my mind is, "Canadians don't know Canadian laws".

The article doesn't even mention mandatory release, but, I gather in an attempt to further enrage the uninformed reader of his incomplete, misleading attempt at a news story, advises that Bedi could have applied for parole after serving 1/3 of his sentence.

Other media outlets have also reported the "News" that Bedi was released "early".

How can compliance in a law be news. Bedi was NOT released early, perhaps our courts and thus media should state at the time of sentencing : "Bedi sentenced to 22 months, but with the application of Canada's release provisions will serve 12 months."

Even if the story was "Should Canada revamp Mandatory Release", fine, perhaps.

Since Bedi was released under the provisions of Mandatory Release shouldn't that have been mentioned in the story ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Released "early" Gursimar Bedi

Post by the truth »

1 year in jail ,for taking part in a murder :-X :cuss:
the laws in this country are useless to its victims, those who choose to live in society have to live buy societies rules, but when the society we live in no longer protect its citizens , citizens no longer have a choice but to protect themselves
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Chyren
Board Meister

Re: Released "early" Gursimar Bedi

Post by Chyren »

the truth wrote:1 year in jail ,for taking part in a murder :-X :cuss:
the laws in this country are useless to its victims, those who choose to live in society have to live buy societies rules, but when the society we live in no longer protect its citizens , citizens no longer have a choice but to protect themselves

Instead of going 'rogue' blaming the courts or the government perhaps we should take all that energy for change and attempt to change the legislation? Its the actual written laws that are the problem here. Get the law changed. Go to your local MP's office and begin the discussion. The laws I agree are absolutely nuts in this case because clearly there's flaws but we, as a Canadian society seem to think that rehabilitation or a "second chance" is a good thing so we try to minimize prison time.

I don't agree and feel that there needs to be mandatory minimums but we've already seen how that goes.

Return to “B.C.”