Student Forced To Cover Scars

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Student Forced To Cover Scars

Post by Fancy »

There is a detailed form that is available that provides guidelines as to what to do.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A Grade 9 student at Penticton Secondary School who was forced to wear sleeves to hide self-harm scars said the school lifted that ban on Monday.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218250

"They were like... 'we don't want to make you to feel like this, it was a misunderstanding,'" she said. "I guess they realized they took the wrong approach and they lifted the rule, so now anyone can wear short sleeves.

It pays to give everyone a chance to work things out - changes don't happen overnight.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the school f up and now they have to back peddle, cowards, hope the kids parents gets a lawyer and takes these over educated fools to court
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm assuming there was discussion before this hit the news and parents are trying to cope with a very sensitive issue. Don't doubt for a second school staff are parents as well and it takes some thought and time to figure out a course of action - sometimes through trial and error. I'm sure everyone was doing what they thought was best at the time. Give people a chance to remedy what wasn't right at the beginning. Calling people cowards and fools is just another form of bullying. Like I said before, the students seem to have better insight to what was going on.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Fancy wrote: parents are trying to cope with a very sensitive issue.

Parents are trying to cope with the school making a terrible situation worse!
Fancy wrote:Calling people cowards and fools is just another form of bullying.

Telling a little girl to cover up the evidence of her pain because others just don't want to see it is bullying!
Fancy wrote:There is a detailed form that is available that provides guidelines as to what to do.

What do you mean?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

As I said, I'm sure school staff are parents too. I don't doubt for a second they have been thinking long and hard as to how to cope with this situation.
Telling a little girl to cover up the evidence of her pain because others just don't want to see it is bullying!
That had nothing to do with what I said - I still stand by calling people names is bullying.

You'll have to google the policy regarding the issue. I don't have the form on hand.
Last edited by Fancy on Feb 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:I'm assuming there was discussion before this hit the news and parents are trying to cope with a very sensitive issue. Don't doubt for a second school staff are parents as well and it takes some thought and time to figure out a course of action - sometimes through trial and error. I'm sure everyone was doing what they thought was best at the time. Give people a chance to remedy what wasn't right at the beginning. Calling people cowards and fools is just another form of bullying. Like I said before, the students seem to have better insight to what was going on.

what they did was not a mistake, they are the so called educated ones, anyone with half a brain could of told them what they did was wrong, they f up big time and should pay the price
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:what they did was not a mistake, they are the so called educated ones, anyone with half a brain could of told them what they did was wrong, they f up big time and should pay the price

Bullying is bullying no matter how it occurs. It's a sad state of affairs when the students seem to have a better head on their shoulders than adults.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

in this case, --yes--
ADMcClelland

Post by ADMcClelland »

Even Steven wrote:Wait, what? Kids scar themselves on purpose?

When did this become a thing?

It was first documented in 490 BC by the Greek historian Herodotus, wrote of a Cleomenes, a Spartan King who was thrown into the stocks after exhibiting strange behavior;

“And as he was lying there, fast bound, Cleomenes noticed that all the guards had left him, except one, and he asked the man, who was his serf, to lend him his knife. As soon as the knife was in his hands, he began to mutilate himself, beginning on his shins.”

Check out Mark 5:5; “And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.” This is the man who, when Jesus asked his name, said; “My name is legion, for we are many.” making it also the first documented case of Dissociative Identity Disorder (once known as Multiple Personality Disorder).

In Victorian times a phenomenon spread across Western Europe amongst young women – the practice of inserting needles into their bodies. It would make perfect sense that those young women would choose sewing needles as their tool of choice to practice self-injury because as young women, learning to sew was an activity common to their upbringing. They became known as "Needle Girls".

Non-Suicidal Self-Injury has been used as a way to cope with extremely overwhelming emotional and physical distress for centuries. It's also found in nature; caged birds will pluck out their feathers when stressed; horses and other animals will bite themselves in captivity.

And right now, according to statistics verified world-wide, 680 students between the ages of 12 to 18 are self-injuring in SD 67. This isn't a fad, this isn't new, this is a hidden struggle for about 17% of our population. We need to address the need for mental health care especially amongst our youth.

Aaron D McClelland, MPCC-S
Interior Counselling
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

These are the resources the school goes to for help:
Penticton Mental Health
Mental Health Emergency Services
Penticton and Area Crisis Line
Helpline for Children
Are there any others?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I posted the link earlier. And I'll reiterate sometimes patience is needed when working out a situation. I'm sure there were many parents/teachers sitting on the fence as to how to deal with someone in need of help. Not even professionals have all the answers.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Fancy wrote:I posted the link earlier. And I'll reiterate sometimes patience is needed when working out a situation. I'm sure there were many parents/teachers sitting on the fence as to how to deal with someone in need of help. Not even professionals have all the answers.

Now I see! You did. :D (I'm on my first cup of coffee, don't judge me.)

I had a friend in the late '60's that cut herself. She carried a razorblade with her. This was back when the wide leather watch bands were popular so she would cut the side of her wrist and then hide it with the watch band.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Girls in the '60's I knew cut their boyfriends' names onto their arms - it was an alarming trend.

Return to “South Okanagan”