Lost Mayan City Discovered Under Guatemala Jungle

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Lost Mayan City Discovered Under Guatemala Jungle

Post by oneh2obabe »

4ee779c3b0cc57d42e80527827c9195d.jpg

Maya structures are scattered across the jungle in this LiDAR image taken over northern Guatemala. Picture: National Geographic.

IT’s been there some 1200 years. But it’s been hidden from sight by the dense green foliage of Guatemala’s tropical rainforests.
It’s an ancient Mayan civilisation capable of having housed more than 100,000 people.

But it took modern laser technology (known as LiDAR — Light Detection and Ranging) and a survey of more than 2100 square kilometres of northern Guatemala’s Maya Biosphere Reserve to expose its existence.

The lasers can peer through the overhanging foliage, sensing what lies beneath.

Complete article
http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... 58f47eb6b8
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Lost Mayan City Discovered Under Guatemala Jungle

Post by Catsumi »

Douglas Preston wrote Lost City of the Monkey God, published in 2017 concerning discovery of a lost city using LIDAR technology. He accompanied the archaeologists into the jungle forests describing what it was like "to be there"

I promise you that you will not sleep easily for a night or two after reading his accounting of doing a dance with a 20 foot long fer de lance, in complete darkness. Totally blood curdling.

I still shudder.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Catsumi wrote:Douglas Preston wrote Lost City of the Monkey God, published in 2017 concerning discovery of a lost city using LIDAR technology. He accompanied the archaeologists into the jungle forests describing what it was like "to be there"

I promise you that you will not sleep easily for a night or two after reading his accounting of doing a dance with a 20 foot long fer de lance, in complete darkness. Totally blood curdling.

I still shudder.

I'd shudder too.

All these people trying to figure out what happened to the Mayan civilization, I have to wonder if they ever considered that the snakes ate them all?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

There is something to be said for living in a cold climate.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

But with Global warming, we could have lots of new species up here. Jus' sayin'

If I were to believe in previous lives, I'd say I was a Mayan. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Queen K wrote:But with Global warming, we could have lots of new species up here. Jus' sayin'

If I were to believe in previous lives, I'd say I was a Mayan. :up:

AKA snake lunch. :biggrin:

If global warming gets that bad, I'm moving to Hawaii where they don't allow snakes.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Isn't Ireland also snake free?

Some saintly Saint held a slitherly snake-toss service on a sunny Sunday in September, sixth century.

Sssssssssss Sssssssssssss Sssssssssssssssss

If I remember aright.
[icon_lol2.gif]

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Old Techie wrote:
If global warming gets that bad, I'm moving to Hawaii where they don't allow snakes.

There are some there.

http://animals.mom.me/snakes-spiders-in ... -6302.html
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Catsumi wrote:Isn't Ireland also snake free?

Some saintly Saint held a slitherly snake-toss service on a sunny Sunday in September, sixth century.

Sssssssssss Sssssssssssss Sssssssssssssssss

If I remember aright.
[icon_lol2.gif]

Bsuds, I am as low as a snake's belly. Left the above msg for YOU to admire ( or detest), but nada. Not a twang or twitch out of you!

I am dismal.

:200:

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:I am dismal.

Can't argue with that. :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

There are some there.

http://animals.mom.me/snakes-spiders-in ... -6302.html

:200: :200: :200:
Just had to go and ruin it didn't you?

Okay Mars it is then!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Wasted pearls !

:biggrin:

Unknown
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Old Techie wrote:All these people trying to figure out what happened to the Mayan civilization, I have to wonder if they ever considered that the snakes ate them all?

I believe this could be possible. Would explain how they keep getting bigger.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

In the mid 90's I went to Courtenay and at low tide I discovered a preserved forest in the bay across from Comox. I originally thought it was flooded from sea level rise,but after a rethink, I figure it was from that area sinking 2-3 meters from the last mega quake in the year 1700."

Googled, no luck.

Can you please expand on this, thanks.

Unknown
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:
I'd shudder too.

All these people trying to figure out what happened to the Mayan civilization, I have to wonder if they ever considered that the snakes ate them all?

They're pretty sure the same wave of plagues that wiped out most of north america's indigenous populations continued down through south america and wiped out a similar proportion of people (8/10).
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”