Downtown cameras

Jflem1983
Guru

Downtown cameras

Post by Jflem1983 »

Wow our council is really pushing the limits.

300 000 dollars to spy on regular people going about the day .
All to prop up the delicate egos on council . This council are working against the people of Kelowna.

Not one crime has ever been prevented by a camera. In fact from my point of view. At least half the time when there is camera footage of a crime. It is always not admissible in court or too blurry to make out who it is. Or the guy is wearing a hat etc. ..

Basically. Evety single person who ever goes downtown will be put under surveillance now . For no reason at all .

Thankfully our new provincial government who i greatly dislike has come out in support of the citizens and against the cameras. Im sure council will fight tooth and nail to keep their little project a go. Delicate egos to protect after all .

I can only hope things improve after Ron Mattasui retires in March. That guy can go ruin some other town
Last edited by TreeGuy on Feb 8th, 2018, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed some typos
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
techrtr
Übergod

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by techrtr »

Good. I go downtown and don't do anything wrong so I don't really care if I'm being filmed. My images are probably being captured on hundreds of cell phones in the hands of tourists anyhow. The naysayers like to say that "not one crime" has ever been prevented by video surveillance. Soooo, how is it possible to even prove that? Only a complete simpleton would make a statement like that. Think about it.

One thing is undisputed, many criminals and terrorists have been arrested thanks to video that captured their images at the scene of a crime.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

techrtr wrote:Good. I go downtown and don't do anything wrong so I don't really care if I'm being filmed. My images are probably being captured on hundreds of cell phones in the hands of tourists anyhow. The naysayers like to say that "not one crime" has ever been prevented by video surveillance. Soooo, how is it possible to even prove that? Only a complete simpleton would make a statement like that. Think about it.

One thing is undisputed, many criminals and terrorists have been arrested thanks to video that captured their images at the scene of a crime.

It appears the crime is the camera itself actually . This is not the first time Kelowna has been in trouble for this either. Council is all to willing to build a mini auschwitz
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if it helps the cops catch some jerk for one of the all to common random unprovoked beatings that seem to take place downtown every summer then put up more if you have nothing to hide it shouldn't really matter
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

LTD wrote:if it helps the cops catch some jerk for one of the all to common random unprovoked beatings that seem to take place downtown every summer then put up more if you have nothing to hide it shouldn't really matter

So having been on the giving and the recieving end of several beatings filmed downtown . Not once did it ever go to court or even make any difference. I honestly do not understand what the cameras are for .

Walk downtown. Anyone can tell u its not really that safe. Cameras do nothing to help that . I agree something needs to be done to improve downtown. I think this camera system is the wrong approach . There are already a million cameras

I go downtown 4 or 5 times a year to get my hair cut .
I do not want to partake in Kelownas voyeur fatasies .

dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

techrtr wrote:Good. I go downtown and don't do anything wrong so I don't really care if I'm being filmed. My images are probably being captured on hundreds of cell phones in the hands of tourists anyhow. The naysayers like to say that "not one crime" has ever been prevented by video surveillance. Soooo, how is it possible to even prove that? Only a complete simpleton would make a statement like that. Think about it.

There was a time when I would have said no way to the cameras but not anymore, not in Kelowna or Vernon or Kamloops and some others these days. If everyone is aware there are cameras and they continue to do illegal stuff anyway at least the camera MIGHT help them get caught. By the same token if everyone is aware there are cameras and they aren't up to anything illegal, it shouldn't bother them too much. It doesn't bother me. I am VERY happy they are in the parkades and I have seen an increased presence of security in the Chapman Parkade which is greatly appreciated. The naysayers will be only too happy if the cameras help catch the thief or the vandal or the thug who steals or harms someone, or something, of theirs. The cameras can also prove when someone ISN'T doing anything illegal.

Is it too much "Big Brother is Watching"? Sure, maybe, but I think, at least in Kelowna where crime is rampant and they pretend it's not so as to not scare away tourists, it is now needed. I think maybe it's time to change the laws to match the times.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

It truly has to be an impossible task to determine how many potential crimes were thwarted by the presence of cameras? IMO it's a stat that is impossible to track as no one knows how many criminals changed their minds because of that possibility. We have red light cameras, personal security cameras in most business's, cell phone cameras, dash camera's.... so whats the big deal if we pile a few more?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It was a camera on the Castanet building that helped catch the arsonist just a few months ago.

Capture.JPG

https://www.castanet.net/castanet-rising/
Bring back the LIKE button.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I personally could care less. I am not even aware of cameras, no matter where I am. I don't think about them because they don't matter too me.

This is Kelowna which is why some think that it's going overboard but really, this is such a fact of life virtually everywhere now so as not to be a topic of remote interest.

There is no way to know how effective or not they are simply because there is no way to know about the "crime that wasn't" because a camera was noticed by some arseplug who was just about todo something stupid.

The world is one big camera these days so why worry about a few more watching the mean streets of K town or any town for that matter?

What I really don't get is people who insist on recording or their private parts to send to their SO and then get bent when someone else intercepts it.

Don't want your mom to see your "parts"? Don't take pictures of them.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote:It was a camera on the Castanet building that helped catch the arsonist just a few months ago.

Capture.JPG

https://www.castanet.net/castanet-rising/

imo the more the better
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

And the idiot who tagged the wall in the alley behind Castanet was recorded pretty clearly so I think his days are numbered.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Jflem1983 wrote:Not one crime has ever been prevented by a camera.

Incorrect.

May crimes were prevented by use of cameras. Many crimes were solved quickly thanks to cameras.

Cameras in public space are not "spying" because they observe you in a public space where there's no expectation of privacy.

Unless you like to commit crimes, you should not be worried about them.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Wow our council is really pushing the limits.

300 000 dollars to spy on regular people going about the day .

All to prop up the delicate egos on council . This council are working against the people of Kelowna.

Not one crime has ever been prevented by a camera. In fact from my point of view. At least half the time when there is camera footage of a crime. It is always not admissible in court or too blurry to make out who it is. Or the guy is wearing a hat etc. ..

Basically. Evety single person who ever goes downtown will be put under surveillance now . For no reason at all .

Thankfully our new provincial government who i greatly dislike has come out in support of the citizens and against the cameras. Im sure council will fight tooth and nail to keep their little project a go. Delicate egos to protect after all .

I can only hope things improve after Ron Mattasui retires in March. That guy can go ruin some other town

Would you be OK with them spending he money on real police officers with actual eyes on the streets to 'spy on the regular people going about the day'?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Yup. Just returned from my downtown crime spree. With my hair cut.

Wow there are some dense folks on here. Yall be the prison guards in your old folks homes im sure.

These cameras are wrong. They are not gonna help anyone. If u get beaten and robbed. On camera. The only dofference is its on camera. U still get beaten and robbed.

For what its worth i parked on leon. Left my truck unlocked rite in front of a group of people selling drugs. Got my hair cut and left . Those drug dealers never touched my truck. Or gave 2 hoots about the stupid cameras keeping u all safe.

No the truth is if somone is gonna rob u or worse. They will do it on camera or off .

We all know there are already thousands of private cameras on businesses homes and traffic lights. To name a few. Why does the city of Kelowna always seem to need a little m0re surveillance. Very disturbing indeed

Back to my crime spree

Return to “Central Okanagan”