Minimum wage

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Minimum wage

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/218408 ... e-increase

Coming June 1 $12.65 per hour. Annual rise on June 1 until 2021 for a wage of $15.20 that year.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JagXKR wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/218408/Gradual-wage-increase

Coming June 1 $12.65 per hour. Annual rise on June 1 until 2021 for a wage of $15.20 that year.

Yes, I'm wondering what that means for people currently earning just over $13.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

rustled wrote:Yes, I'm wondering what that means for people currently earning just over $13.

I think that means everybody will be getting a bump. It also means all prices will be getting bumped up. At the end nobody wins.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Even Steven wrote:
rustled wrote:Yes, I'm wondering what that means for people currently earning just over $13.

I think that means everybody will be getting a bump. It also means all prices will be getting bumped up. At the end nobody wins.

I'm hoping the bump doesn't mean layoffs. We shall see.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

rustled wrote:I'm hoping the bump doesn't mean layoffs. We shall see.

Nah. If business could run their operations will less workers, they'd be doing it already.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Even Steven wrote:

Nah. If business could run their operations will less workers, they'd be doing it already.

I hope you're right.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Even Steven wrote:

The effects will not be so simple. You are assuming that business volume stays the same. Generally, when prices rise, there can be an impact on sales volumes. JJ Bean, as an example, raised their prices to cover the cost of the interim increase in Ontario. Does that price increase translate into lost business? Not guaranteed, but it can.

As the cost of restaurant food/beverages rises, people tend to eat out less. If gasoline prices are high, people tend to drive less. Etc.

It is business volume that drives employment levels. If one worker can produce 10 units and volume is at 100, then 10 employees are required. If volume drops below 96, then somebody gets laid off. (Cheaper to pay overtime based on 50% of the price being materials used.)

The BOC estimate is that the minimum wage increases across Canada will reduce employment by 60,000.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

Well if people working at Mc Donald for example are getting raises then people in say health care who went to school and spent a lot of cash doing so should be seeing a fair increase as well. Simple math, the overall cost of living is going to rise so it won't make a difference for the minimum wage people really. Welcome to higher taxes, higher fuel costs, higher $$$$ of everything. Horgan I can't wait to see the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

hobbyguy wrote:JJ Bean, as an example, raised their prices to cover the cost of the interim increase in Ontario. Does that price increase translate into lost business? Not guaranteed, but it can.

I don't know why JJ Bean raised prices, but virtually all businesses raise their prices on a regular basis. There's no ONE reason for it, it's just good business. If every time they raised prices they were losing business, they'd be out of business a long time ago. They also increase wages on a regular basis to keep things in balance. The gradual increase is actually a good thing because of it because we as business owners can plan for things.

It's not a big deal in other words.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4529547
This guy has the right idea, but don't expect Timmies or any other coffee chain to follow suit. Greed is ingrained in their DNA.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Even Steven wrote:"Yes, I'm wondering what that means for people currently earning just over $13."

... except for those people who finally get a pay increase that is out of step with inflation, and they can dream of making their pay last the month, like those who are already earning a living wage.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Anyone that makes a min wage job a career might have bigger issues.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-businesses-minimum-wage-1.4529547
This guy has the right idea, but don't expect Timmies or any other coffee chain to follow suit. Greed is ingrained in their DNA.

Name me one Tim Hortons who was paying their staff min. wage before these imposed increases? The "greed embedded in their DNA" must have been the benefit plan they were offering their employees....

Did you ask the guy from the news story what kind of benefit plan his employees have??? Maybe ask him to move his location from urban Vancouver and set up in say - Oliver or Summerland or Penticton and see if he still pays his staff the same.

If greed is embedded in their DNA they would pay all their staff the least amount legally possible, not pay for any breaks, keep everyone part time and schedule min. hours to avoid paying for stat holidays and certainly not offer a benefit package.

But Yeah - keep ranting like you have the first clue as to how to run a business and know how much people "deserve" to be paid - so many dreamers have it all figured out...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

marooned wrote:... except for those people who finally get a pay increase that is out of step with inflation, and they can dream of making their pay last the month, like those who are already earning a living wage.

Increasing min. wage won't change anything for those people. Min. wage can be increased to $20/hour but a surge in inflation will only destroy their gain.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-businesses-minimum-wage-1.4529547
"If you're running a business that's susceptible to those increases, that it's actually going to threaten the life of the business, maybe you have to really adjust the whole thing," he said. "You might not be in the right business if rising costs are going to threaten your business in that way."

Reading this, I wonder a few things. For example, if this coffee shop franchise is able to offer employment to the mentally disabled. How much a cup of coffee and a muffin (or a lunch) would cost.

It intrigues me that people don't see any need for franchises that are able to offer a lower-cost product for customers who cannot currently afford more. People who can't afford the higher-cost coffee or meal may well choose to make theirs at home (even when travelling), and this isn't necessarily a bad thing but it would result in fewer jobs.

It will be interesting to see how all of this pans out. I hope we're on the way to the utopia proponents suggest, and that my worst fears won't come to pass, but I suspect the result will be somewhere in the middle, with some people losing their investments, some losing their jobs, and some being somewhat better off than they were before, and most of us simply paying more for everything.

Return to “B.C.”