Downtown cameras

lensbaby
Board Meister

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by lensbaby »

gsc wrote:As I said I also have security cams and a sign very visible stating I have cams and my truck and a friend's where almost broken into just a couple nights ago.

Isn't that kinda like almost won a race, or almost pregnant?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

AND England.
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

fz6adventure wrote:

Please tell me how you feel about this scenario. A savvy criminal taps into the City of Kelowna camera network and is monitoring it live but dark from the knowledge of the City. While they capture you headed to the beach, out on your boat or attending a concert they know you will be out of your home for several hours. While you are sitting at the beach, out on the water in your boat and enjoying a concert, they use the opportunity to go to your home and rob it of anything of value including your most prized possessions. None of this would be possible without you providing by your tax dollars all the cameras. Are you okay with this?

Of course not. However, you've created a fairly unrealistic scenario.

Once they see me on camera, how do they know where I live? How do they know no one else is home, or that I have anything worth stealing? It seems like it would be more efficient for them to just park across the street and watch me. And why the reference to "my tax dollars"? Is that meant to get me riled up? The irony that someone committed a crime against me, and I funded the tech that enabled them to do it? I feel like you're trying to manipulate me too.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

JayByrd wrote:Of course not. However, you've created a fairly unrealistic scenario.

Once they see me on camera, how do they know where I live? How do they know no one else is home, or that I have anything worth stealing? It seems like it would be more efficient for them to just park across the street and watch me. And why the reference to "my tax dollars"? Is that meant to get me riled up? The irony that someone committed a crime against me, and I funded the tech that enabled them to do it? I feel like you're trying to manipulate me too.

Spoiler Alert - they already know who you are, where you live and how much money you have. Facial recognition is an amazing thing - they are just awaiting the right chance to clean you out. You don't really think the savvy criminal is going to make his own investment in surveillance cameras when you will do it for them?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gsc wrote:As I said I also have security cams and a sign very visible stating I have cams and my truck and a friend's where almost broken into just a couple nights ago.
lensbaby wrote:
Isn't that kinda like almost won a race, or almost pregnant?

It's usually called an "attempted" break in that almost succeeded.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fz6adventure wrote:Spoiler Alert - they already know who you are, where you live and how much money you have. Facial recognition is an amazing thing - they are just awaiting the right chance to clean you out. You don't really think the savvy criminal is going to make his own investment in surveillance cameras when you will do it for them?

What if the only online site one uses.... does not use photos. My digital/online footprint has absolutely no photos of myself.
Please explain how to match my name to a face.... oh yes my name is not in any current or archived phone book.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

GordonH wrote:What if the only online site one uses.... does not use photos. My digital/online footprint has absolutely no photos of myself.
Please explain how to match my name to a face.... oh yes my name is not in any current or archived phone book.

You sound like the perfect victim! Your drivers licence has your image, your MSP card has your image. The city will have matched your image, address and phone number already for the perpetrator.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

GordonH wrote:
What if the only online site one uses.... does not use photos. My digital/online footprint has absolutely no photos of myself.

I mean in theory if someone really took a disliking they could probably track down an uncomfortable amount of information about you. I don't really agree with fz6adventure but that at least is true.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Maybe the question should be why is this the city doing this . Its not RCMP. Its COK.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:What if the only online site one uses.... does not use photos. My digital/online footprint has absolutely no photos of myself.

fz6adventure wrote:You sound like the perfect victim! Your drivers licence has your image, your MSP card has your image. The city will have matched your image, address and phone number already for the perpetrator.

:laugh: you are very funny, thank-you for that needed a good laugh.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

CapitalB wrote:I mean in theory if someone really took a disliking they could probably track down an uncomfortable amount of information about you. I don't really agree with fz6adventure but that at least is true.

Best of luck to those looking
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Coming to you sooner than you think!

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ce/552203/

For those that think government surveillance is harmless.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Jflem1983 wrote:Maybe the question should be why is this the city doing this . Its not RCMP. Its COK.

Well the RCMP know the Charter better and they are under Federal scrutiny ...... so they are more careful......of course the City will turn over any recordings on request - without a warrant needed. The RCMP need a warrant to put anyone under surveillance and to be able to rely upon that surveillance in a court of law. It totally destroys any case they may have if anything discovered during surveillance outside of a warrant is discovered.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

:topic:
Last edited by TreeGuy on Feb 9th, 2018, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Bring back the LIKE button.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I think, for starters, cameras will prevent crime in SOME instances - like one poster said by some the criminals moving their activity to another place - well, that works for me! If we keep putting up cameras some of them will keep moving elsewhere - Timbuktu for all I care as long as it's away from here. Keep it moving....that's a few less crimes.

Even if the pics the cameras take are fuzzy, SOMETIMES, someone somewhere recognizes who it is and they report it. Even if it only happens sometimes, that's a few more perps caught.

Some vandals, some arsonists, somewhere will be caught because of the cameras - has already happened here. Again, a few more caught. Someone will recognize that tagger the camera just caught downtown and someone will talk.

Will it stop ALL crime, or MOST crime - probably not - but SOME crime is definitely a start for me - especially if a little $umthin' $umthin' is offered as incentive to give up the person's identity.

Just a little sidenote - the cameras will also help to catch more taggers, who are a huge nuisance and a big cost to the businesses to re-paint - no doubt about that. It's not a violent crime but still not victimless. That being said, I've always believed there is talent and an art to the tagging and that there should be a place where taggers can go and express themselves and get creative without hurting anyone's wallet. A huge taggers's wall of colour somewhere - maybe contests. That might keep some tags off the walls of the businesses and their creators off the cameras.

Return to “Central Okanagan”