Where's Trudeau?

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Where's Trudeau?

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Where's Trudeau? He's vainly signing autographs on company time, instead of dealing with matters of critical national importance, like, you know, PIPELINES!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Interesting take hobbyguy. Well put
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

rustled wrote:Here's something I didn't know (bold):
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau continues to insist this project is in Canada’s national interest and must move forward.

I fully support the prime minister’s decision on this. As I have previously stated, the Trans Mountain approval is subject to 157 binding conditions that are intended to address concerns ranging from First Nations, environment, project engineering as well as safety and emergency response.

The value of this project is just under $7 billion and will create 15,000 new jobs during construction.

This pipeline will also generate $4.5 billion in federal and provincial government revenues. It should also be noted that this project replaces the existing Trans Mountain pipeline system between Edmonton and Burnaby. This existing pipeline is now over 50 years old.

This, along with the beefed-up spill response system for the West Coast, are important factors.

And I think it was Symbonite who figured if this involved Quebec, we'd already have seen action from JT. Here's Albas's take (same piece):
What should happen?

We know that when Quebec-based Bombardier was threatened in a trade dispute,Trudeau cancelled an aircraft order with Boeing and released future military procurement policy that factors in Canada’s economic interests.

In other words the prime minister stood up to defend Bombardier’s interests.

If Prime Minister Trudeau truly believes the Trans Mountain pipeline project is in Canada’s national interests, he need to step up and ensure that project is built.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Dan-in-Ot ... -trade-war

Oh, good grief.......now we're going to start quoting BC Con MP Dan Albas. I'm not going to bother correcting all his whoppers, but this one is perhaps the biggest and I can't let it slip by:
"It should be also be noted that this project replaces the existing Trans Mountain pipeline system between Edmonton and Burnaby."
The KM expansion is NOT replacing the existing pipeline; it's a whole different line, even taking a different route at times. The old pipeline will continue to deliver dilbit down into the refineries at Cherry Point, WA, where it will be refined and sold to British Columbians at inflated prices.

You gotta know when a Liberal approves of something that the Cons are happy about, we are living in bizarro world. What's that Liberal PM's name again.......Truper? Harpeau?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:Oh, good grief.......now we're going to start quoting BC Con MP Dan Albas. I'm not going to bother correcting all his whoppers, but this one is perhaps the biggest and I can't let it slip by:
"It should be also be noted that this project replaces the existing Trans Mountain pipeline system between Edmonton and Burnaby."
The KM expansion is NOT replacing the existing pipeline; it's a whole different line, even taking a different route at times. The old pipeline will continue to deliver dilbit down into the refineries at Cherry Point, WA, where it will be refined and sold to British Columbians at inflated prices.

You gotta know when a Liberal approves of something that the Cons are happy about, we are living in bizarro world. What's that Liberal PM's name again.......Truper? Harpeau?

You may be right that no part of TMX is to be replaced. I've been unable to find reference to any part of it being replaced, although I see that in all of the federal announcements approving the project, there's reference to the replacement of Line 3, so perhaps Albas has conflated the two. (The report is some 500+ pages long, and while I wouldn't be surprised if some portion of TMX is to be replaced, it seems likely we'll see a correction to his statement in his column.)

As to the hyper-partisan sniping: to my mind, it's patently ridiculous to sling arrows at any politician who gives credit where credit is due, and publicly backs what's right regardless of party. IMO, we need more of this from our elected officials. Anyone can make a mistake. I find far more to admire in the behaviour of those who genuinely work on behalf of all of us for the common good, than in those who continually undermine and attack and misrepresent the facts (unintentionally or otherwise) strictly for the sake of political partisanship.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Where's Trudeau? He's vainly signing autographs on company time, instead of dealing with matters of critical national importance, like, you know, PIPELINES!

He was heckled the other day in the Commons - "Did you run out of coloring books Justin??" oh man that was hilarious.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:
Oh, good grief.......now we're going to start quoting BC Con MP Dan Albas.

Sure beats quoting BC New Dumb MP Richard Cannings.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Stay on topic!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:At the moment, Horgan is still just playing games, but at least he shut the fool Heyman up.

JT is in fact doing what he should do. He has made it very clear that the TMX will be built. No waffling, no shades of gray, it will be built.

Until Horgan and the disingenuous muttonhead Heyman actually DO something, then it is best to just leave them twisting in the wind. For the moment, the no longer grinning Horgan is doing a two step pirouette. Trying to pretend he doesn't know what the fuss is about. We're just gonna "study". No John, that ain't what your excuse for a minister said.

So JT is leaving the ball in Horgan's court.

Johnny's idiotic pick for environment minister is Johnny's problem, and from what I can gather, Lana of the sharp knives isn't very happy with revenues from her organic vineyard under threat. THAT should be an interesting conversation, Lana will have goofball George wishing he never ran for office.

Meantime, Carr and McKenna are sharpening the axe, just waiting for Johnny to actually DO something, and the heads will roll. You can't take action until your opponent actually makes a move beyond childish flap jawing.

Meantime KM's legal team are collecting the data, the timelines, all those things to get ready to sue Johnny and crew's butts off - unfortunately, we all will have to pay.

Johnny is boxed in, JT knows that, Rachel knows that, KM knows that - and Andrew Weaver is celebrating! He carefully crafted a trap, and the small minded George Heyman and the BC NDP waltzed themselves right into it.

The only winner in all of this? The BC Greens and BC Liberals. (Andrew Wilkinson has been quite happy to let the BC NDP hang themselves on this one).

My oh my, for a bunch of political "scientists" the BC NDP sure got themselves on the wrong side of this mess that they created.

Well said HG. :up: :up:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2018, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
Oh, good grief.......now we're going to start quoting BC Con MP Dan Albas.

Cannings is a very decent person. Like Albas, he gives credit where credit is due. In this case, to Albas, regarding another issue related to the wine trade (and the Comeau case):
There was a federal barrier to shipments of wine, but fortunately that was cleared away by a private member’s bill from MP Dan Albas in 2012. However, most provinces (B.C., Manitoba and Nova Scotia are the only exceptions) have their own barriers in place to protect their monopolies on liquor distribution.
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... 52a3c.html

I haven't seen what he thinks of Horgan's hi-jinx. I'd like to think he will take a pragmatic approach, encouraging all other politicians (federal and provincial) to be responsible to the people they represent, rather than putting partisan party interests first.

Hobbyguy had a sensible take on this. We'll see what transpires.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Richard Cannings is head and shoulders above Dan Albas,
who is a right wing reactionary..

Trudeau must very soon, fish or cut bait.

Do you hear the sound of Liberal votes disappearing from B.C.?

Quick..how many Liberal MPs in Ornery Alberta?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

George+ wrote:Richard Cannings is head and shoulders above Dan Albas,
who is a right wing reactionary..

Trudeau must very soon, fish or cut bait.

Do you hear the sound of Liberal votes disappearing from B.C.?

Quick..how many Liberal MPs in Ornery Alberta?

Both Albas and Cannings understand cooperation will get us farther ahead than partisanship. Perhaps Horgan will come to the same conclusion without JT having to step in.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2018, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

rustled wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:

Cannings is a very decent person. Like Albas, he gives credit where credit is due. In this case, to Albas, regarding another issue related to the wine trade (and the Comeau case):
There was a federal barrier to shipments of wine, but fortunately that was cleared away by a private member’s bill from MP Dan Albas in 2012. However, most provinces (B.C., Manitoba and Nova Scotia are the only exceptions) have their own barriers in place to protect their monopolies on liquor distribution.
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... 52a3c.html

I haven't seen what he thinks of Horgan's hi-jinx. I'd like to think he will take a pragmatic approach, encouraging all other politicians (federal and provincial) to be responsible to the people they represent, rather than putting partisan party interests first.

Hobbyguy had a sensible take on this. We'll see what transpires.

Thanks for the link (and for coming to Richard Cannings' defense). The outcome of the Comeau case (IMHO) proved that there needs to be more changes to the 1867 BNA Act, which is basically the Canadian Constitution. One of those changes needs to give provinces more control over what traverses across their borders. The federal government should not have the power to meddle in the provinces' environmental laws, for example.

Some people like to compare dilbit pipelines with the national railways, but there really is no comparison. The railways benefited all the provinces while causing little to no damage to the environment (unless you want to count the event at Lac Megantic and other not as catastrophic events).

Dilbit transportation should be banned in Canada, but Trudeau will never do that because (again IMHO) he has been bought by China and Big Oil.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

George+ wrote:Richard Cannings is head and shoulders above Dan Albas,

LOL - that's hilarious.

but if it is true that both see the common sense in cooperating, then both are miles ahead of the people we have running our current provincial government.

Return to “B.C.”