#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: #MeToo

Post by the truth »

yup :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
johnrae
Fledgling

Another democrat caught #metoo

Post by johnrae »

http://thechronicleherald.ca/world/1544 ... o-advocate

"grabbing his buttocks and trying to grab his crotch in the dugout after a legislative softball game"

I bet this poor guy has nightmares after that. That women is the "Freddy Kruger" of most men's nightmares.
:popcorn:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/sma ... li=AAggxAX

So sad it's come to this.

Why not just behave decently? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Symbonite wrote:When the accuser gets accused....She should step down or get let go like all the rest.

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/218 ... ate-miscue

Agree she should step down. She should also face charges, just quitting is not enough.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I think if you were needing to make a claim of sexual assault (presuming you know the offender),without witnesses, you would have to get them on tape saying something incriminating. Otherwise (unless you have broken limbs or beaten beyond recognition),it's going to be he said , she said.

Grandan wrote:Apparently just the act of looking at someone is enough to get you into trouble and if that is not enough a comment can get you in a lot more trouble.

As a result I do not comment on how great a woman looks, only my wife.
I think it is rather pathetic that it has come to this, particularly when there are so many worse things that a man can do.

I have been the subject of suggestive comments by women. I have had my butt squeezed. I simply never react, ever.
Call me paranoid, I just hate to be in a position where my personal life could be under the microscope.

I have seen few if any complaints by men about women sexually harassing them but it happens.
The exception being when female teacher in her 30's has an affair with a 12 year old boy.

Silverstarqueen wrote:Do you have even one example where a person was charged (let alone convicted) of sexual assault for "just the act of looking at someone" or making a comment about how great a woman looks?
I would bet it would be rare to find a woman that has not been sexually touched inappropriately at least a few times in her life. I don't see why it would be any different for men. Either way these are almost never reported.
Yes, we all agree there are women who squeeze butts and even some who assault minors.
Unfortunately most sexual offenders will never be brought to justice.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219232
Hart is already seeing a change in the work environment, with fewer men willing to mentor more junior female colleagues — a spin-off of the #metoo and #timesup movements that she said could inevitably harm women's career aspirations.

There's also anxiety over another possibility: that a woman may lie about or exaggerate an allegation of sexual misconduct, potentially destroying a man's career or blackening his reputation in the court of public opinion.

Power feels pretty good does it not Silverstarqueen?
Too bad there are unanticipated consequences such as difficulty finding a life partner or even a friend of the opposite sex.
Too bad older women are still taking advantage of young men.
https://www.castanet.net/news/World/218 ... ate-miscue
Waste not
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I don't know why anyone didn't think of this sooner.

Segregation.

There, fixed !

Although this campaign was started with what I perceive as an honourable
intent.
Like many things it has grown into it's own rabid beast.

It could set back equality and society as a whole, decades.

ie; why would a male business owner even consider a female new hire ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dirtybiker wrote:I don't know why anyone didn't think of this sooner.

Segregation.

There, fixed !

intent.

I hired a young girl last year to work for me before all of this non-sense. Sometimes it was three of us working together, sometimes it was just her and I. I was always very careful of how I joked around with her. I love kidding and joking, but I was cautious.

I also checked with Mrs. Tree to make sure she was okay with the situation before I hired her.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Since the beast was unleashed I know a couple people that no longer have one to one
meetings with colleagues of the other gender in their offices.

They are done out in the middle of the workplace.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/21 ... g-mistrust

So, the MeToo movement is causing some men (and women) to give pause about past, current, future behavior.
For those (the vast majority I would guess) who have always been respectful toward the opposite sex, they may or may not examine their past behavior, but will certainly carry on being respectful toward them.
For those ( a minority) who maybe were not quite so respectful, they may examine their past behavior, and carry on being more respectful in future.
For those (rare) individuals who have definitely crossed the line regarding sexual harassment or assault, some are going to be very worried (particularly if setting out in the political arena where all the world is going to learn about their transgressions), and may or may not clean up their act, before that happens.
So what's the down side if those in a position of power either continue to be respectful, or if they weren't before, decide to do the right thing in future? Those people who just avoided the opposite sex because they mistrust them, or had a bad experience (yes, they have always been around, this is nothing new), are welcome to continue doing that. Many men and women have been put in that position in the past. Until they feel safe in the workplace, they will continue to do so, and I doubt there is much anyone can say to change their opinion.
The article made reference to the recent Patrick Brown situation. He seems to have said different things at different times which are inconsistent (too many to itemize). Now he wants to sue CTV, and probably hopes to do the same with the people making allegations against him. He says he had already "cleared his name", but I didn't see where or how he did that. I hope he does take all those to court who seem to be maligning his good name so he can really "clear his name". How he is going to run a political campaign while he does that remains to be seen. He claims the "truth" will all come out. Let's hope so. soon.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Segregation.

There, fixed !

intent.

TreeGuy wrote:I hired a young girl last year to work for me before all of this non-sense. Sometimes it was three of us working together, sometimes it was just her and I. I was always very careful of how I joked around with her. I love kidding and joking, but I was cautious.

I also checked with Mrs. Tree to make sure she was okay with the situation before I hired her.

How old was this young girl?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

dirtybiker wrote:Since the beast was unleashed I know a couple people that no longer have one to one
meetings with colleagues of the other gender in their offices.

They are done out in the middle of the workplace.

As opposed to just leaving their office door open?

"Just a minute Ms. Smith, rather than our going over these plans here in my office, let's go out into the middle of operations just to be safe." lol.

At any rate, quite a few offices have interior windows, for a reason, and have had for quite some time.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Laugh away, it's happening....

Sounds just absurd to me too, still happening....I ain't laughin'...
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Segregation.

There, fixed !

intent.

TreeGuy wrote:I hired a young girl last year to work for me before all of this non-sense. Sometimes it was three of us working together, sometimes it was just her and I. I was always very careful of how I joked around with her. I love kidding and joking, but I was cautious.

Silverstarqueen wrote:How old was this young girl?

How is that relevant to the conversation?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Answering a question with a question is relevant.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Christy Clark not only neglected to support women while in power, she also made things worse for them.

Christy Clark came to power in 2011, taking over the leadership of the B.C. Liberal Party from Gordon Campbell. While Campbell was premier, he cut 100 per cent of the $1.7 million that was allotted to B.C.'s women-serving organizations. That funding works out to one dollar per year, per woman, in B.C. It seems that a dollar year was too steep an investment for Campbell's B.C. Liberals.

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/wavaw-rape-c ... a-homepage

Return to “Social Concerns”