Another clueless pet owner

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Another clueless pet owner

Post by Fancy »

Nedroj wrote:Please elaborate. Because I doubt you have any experience with the situations I pointed out.
I’ve grown up on farms where we had outdoor barn cats strictly for controlling the squirrel and mice population.
Where we let the horses, cattle, chickens, pigs run around on a 1,000 acre farm.
There is crown land all around the okanagan that’s leased out to ranchers for their cattle to roam.
We also had 3 German Shepard’s roaming around freely to try and protect the farm from predators. Occasionally one dog wouldn’t make it. And we lost a couple horses as well. Circle of life.

I've never heard of barn cats being called pets.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Fancy wrote:
Nedroj wrote:Again please re read my comment. I was stating the fact that I, myself personally have never seen a rat in the okanagan. I’ve lived in Vernon, Winfield, Kelowna, Rutland, all over west Kelowna and have never seen one. Seen plenty of mice when my cat leaves their bodies on the door step.

So you mean to say you could be wrong that you may have seen a rat? Your post isn't clear. Either you haven't seen one as you've just stated or may have. I fail to see what else you could be wrong about. You know they're here.

You’re mixing up my two comments.

- Never have I ever encountered an actual RAT in the okanagan
- one would think if there was such a huge rat problem as some people have stated, that I should have seen at least one by now. - I could be wrong about the rat problem, although the article someone posted refered to a rat problem in penticton not Kelowna so that could be why I haven’t seen one.
- I’ve seen plenty of dead MICE after my cat has killed and left them as a prize at my doorstep.
- There is a BIG difference between mice and rats.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Fancy wrote:I've never heard of barn cats being called pets.

Well technically they are the owners and contribute to the farm so they would be considered “a pet” like any dog would be.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm puzzled why you don't think there's a problem knowing people have trapped dozens of rats.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3882833/okan ... e-to-stay/
Of course people know the difference when they're trying to get rid of them.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nedroj wrote:Well technically they are the owners and contribute to the farm so they would be considered “a pet” like any dog would be.

Not on any farm in my family.
More on rats:
https://www.kelowna.ca/parks-recreation ... management
https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... evict-rats

I can't think that the trap in this case would be used for rats anyway.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Fancy wrote:I'm puzzled why you don't think there's a problem knowing people have trapped dozens of rats.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3882833/okan ... e-to-stay/
Of course people know the difference when they're trying to get rid of them.

Yet again, I have indicated that I could be wrong on that. I’m just going off of what I have seen personally living here for over 20 years and heard from friends and family all whom live up and down the valley for years as well.

And I was just making sure that people are not inflating the issue more so by lumping mice into the same catorgory.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nedroj wrote:Yet again, I have indicated that I could be wrong on that. I’m just going off of what I have seen personally living here for over 20 years and heard from friends and family all whom live up and down the valley for years as well.

And I was just making sure that people are not inflating the issue more so by lumping mice into the same catorgory.

You would be wrong then. There is a rat problem up and down the valley as I've said before and there have been plenty of news items to attest to that. Haven't had any issues with mice.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Thirty or forty years ago in Victoria, it was common to see unattended cats and dogs wandering around neighbourhoods. They were everywhere. As I've followed this thread, I've tried to recall the last time I saw a stray dog anywhere in Victoria, and I honestly can't remember seeing one for several years. Nor stray cats -- maybe once a year, I'll see a cat wandering through the yard. There are more of them at night, because we find their tracks and their favourite pooping places in the garden.

Wanna know why? Here's why:

Granted, not too many "persons" have been killed by house cats (although island cougars get a human victim every few years...). The regs don't make provisions for cats who are doing their patriotic civic duty of controlling rats -- because if they are doing this, they are also controlling birds. This applies to all domestic cats.

I like cats too, but I believe that if they were bigger, they'd happily eat us...!
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

here is a Rat on one of our bird feeders. They are here on a regular basis.

IMG_0368 (Copy) (2).JPG

We have had Mice around as well and I caught a total of 13 in traps one summer a couple of years ago.

There is definitely a rodent problem in Kelowna.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Does mean roaming cats are doing much hmm if the rat issue is such a problem.
Sorry I stand frim on my " own a cat keep them indoors or on a catio or a leash.
Foolish to endanger their Lives if you truly love them so
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Our cat is an indoor cat, but our neighbours isn't. Their cat comes over and uses my mulch bed as a litter box but then when they let their dog out it comes over and cleans it up for me. I have no complaints.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Let’s stay on topic without personal jabs

We've had the debate on here about people who let their dogs run illegally at large in wildlife areas, and the most self-entitled were arguing that this was no big deal. People need to understand the law, and people need to think about their pets first, as pet owners have an implicit moral contract to care for their pets and that includes keeping them from running wild.
Last edited by TreeGuy on Feb 10th, 2018, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*Off Topic*
Last edited by TreeGuy on Feb 10th, 2018, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Nedroj wrote:
You’re mixing up my two comments.

- Never have I ever encountered an actual RAT in the okanagan
- one would think if there was such a huge rat problem as some people have stated, that I should have seen at least one by now. - I could be wrong about the rat problem, although the article someone posted refered to a rat problem in penticton not Kelowna so that could be why I haven’t seen one.
- I’ve seen plenty of dead MICE after my cat has killed and left them as a prize at my doorstep.
- There is a BIG difference between mice and rats.

In the landmark area my cat would bring home rats almost daily. And I’m not talking mice. Give people here some credit to know the difference between a mouse and a rat.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
buckland
Fledgling

Post by buckland »

According to the article, "Nelson says warning signs should be implemented near traps, and identification tags should be required on all traps."
Utter nonsense because only people can read, not cats or dogs or raccoons or any other animal.

Return to “Social Concerns”