Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

Tony
Übergod

Re: Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

Post by Tony »

alanjh595 wrote:I am wondering if this might be a good opportunity to set-up a winery in Alberta? Just bring in the grape juice from BC and brew it there as an Alberta wine? OR even bring in the completed wine by the railcar and just bottling and labeling in Alberta? Hhhmmmm?

Wait... maybe we could build a pipeline to supply wine.....

Oh - never mind.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/rachel-notley-unveils-task-force-to-defend-alberta-jobs-from-bc-attack/article37929228/

"Premier Rachel Notley has unveiled a task force she says will defend Alberta jobs from B.C.'s "unconstitutional attack" on the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion, but she wouldn't give details on exactly what the high-profile group will consider or when they will act."

SNIP

"The task force members include former New Brunswick premier Frank McKenna, former deputy prime minister Anne McLellan, former Syncrude Canada president Jim Carter and legal scholar Peter Hogg."

Hmmm... two solid political heavyweights, a business leader, and a legal scholar.

Alberta will be ready, Ottawa is already getting ready. Now, just wait for goofy George and hapless Horgan to actually try to do something... down comes the hammer!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/rachel-notley-unveils-task-force-to-defend-alberta-jobs-from-bc-attack/article37929228/

"Premier Rachel Notley has unveiled a task force she says will defend Alberta jobs from B.C.'s "unconstitutional attack" on the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion, but she wouldn't give details on exactly what the high-profile group will consider or when they will act."

SNIP

"The task force members include former New Brunswick premier Frank McKenna, former deputy prime minister Anne McLellan, former Syncrude Canada president Jim Carter and legal scholar Peter Hogg."

Hmmm... two solid political heavyweights, a business leader, and a legal scholar.

Alberta will be ready, Ottawa is already getting ready. Now, just wait for goofy George and hapless Horgan to actually try to do something... down comes the hammer!

It's a little too early to start chortling yet, HG. All those 'former' politicians just love to get their names in the news, and a 'former' Syncrude president? What a surprise! Ooh, and a legal scholar......I'll bet Horgan's really shaking in his boots now! :biggrin:
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:
    It's a little too early to start chortling yet, HG. All those 'former' politicians just love to get their names in the news, and a 'former' Syncrude president? What a surprise! Ooh, and a legal scholar......I'll bet Horgan's really shaking in his boots now! :biggrin:
It's not just the "political heavyweights" that Horgan has to worry about:

Rachel Notley‏Verified account
@RachelNotley
Follow Follow @RachelNotley
More
Steelworkers get why this pipeline fight matters, why these good jobs matter & why defending the laws of our country matters. Their leadership has been at our side since day one... I’ve got to say, nothing steels the resolve like steelworkers at your back! #abpoli
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^And your point is?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:^^And your point is?
John Horgan is way out of his depth.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:^^And your point is?
John Horgan is way out of his depth.

Yes indeed, the grin is gone. Now Johnny knows how Dave (RIP) and Mikey felt when the People within the BC NDP start stuff that they can't finish.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There are a few wineries in Alberta. Google them. I've been to one, Fieldstone Winery, just south of Strathmore. It makes outstanding wines based on prairie fruit. Saskatoon berry, wild black cherry which is really just a polite name for chokecherry, and variations on rhubarb, strawberry, and raspberry. They've won awards for these sweet wines.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Once again, the wine issue is just the current front show that the BC NDP are hoping will distract people from the real issue, that issue being that those same BC NDP are taking it upon themselves to dictate Federal policy.

Ink has already been put to paper, the job is underway. Those who physically get in the way will find themselves under arrest like those recently arrested in Burnaby and Coquitlam now finding themselves (appropriately) facing nuisance and mischief charges. Interesting that one of those arrested a couple of days ago after chaining herself to a piece of pipeline machinery in Coquitlam is listed as an Ontario resident. I wonder who's paying her rent? There is huge money at stake here, I think many of us would be surprised to see just where the currents of influence flow under the surface.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I posted this earlier on "Pipelines" but I might have posted it in the wrong thread so I better re-post it here too:

I read and re-read this letter to Castanet this morning, authored by Jerrilynn DeCock:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218217

I knew ZERO about pipelines before I read it and while I still know next to nothing about the matter, reading this article opened my eyes to the extent that some very good points of common sense were stated.

Because of my ignorance of the workings of pipelines, I really couldn't offer an opinion one way or the other on whether the line should be allowed or not. I do know I would never want to see our beautiful coastline waterways injured, or our natural land scourged. However, I knew I didn't like this trade war between BC and Alberta over the pipeline. I don't think it is being handled from the proper perspectives. Being the two most westerly Provinces, we are sometimes forgotten in the national scheme of things. We have to stick together and have each other's backs so we owe it to each other not to make decisions based on emotion alone. We need facts to act.

I now believe the pipeline should go ahead, provided the safeguards meet at least what Ms. DeCock has suggested for protection of our lands and waters. I think, from other articles I've read from people also educated in such matters, it is very close to being able to be done in a viable and safe way, at least the safest way possible maybe with a few tweaks here and there (remembering that there are never any guarantees for ANYTHING). I think if cooler heads from both Provinces were to hold immediate meetings with a view to moving forward, a solution would be found and everyone involved will come out a winner.

Important to note here: When it comes to the governing of BC I have been finding the Greens, with Mr. Weaver at the helm, don't really seem to listen to any point of view but their own in a very single-minded, tunnel-visioned fashion - almost like they stick their fingers in their ears. I don't think it really does their cause much good - at least in my eyes. I'm definitely for protecting our environment, but with facts, not stubbornness. I knew nothing of the Greens really either until this last election so I've been keeping an interested eye on things to see what they are really all about.

My take is this: Mr. Horgan wanted his NDP in. They decided to get into cahoots with the Greens in order for that to happen. I think there is a chance that Mr. Weaver is using that to influence Mr. Horgan's decision to unilaterally squash the pipeline. If that is the case, I believe that type of calculated political maneuver does nothing to actually explore what's best for both provinces and to actually examine all the possibilities and is NOT in the best interest of any of us.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

dle wrote:My take is this: Mr. Horgan wanted his NDP in. They decided to get into cahoots with the Greens in order for that to happen. I think there is a chance that Mr. Weaver is using that to influence Mr. Horgan's decision to unilaterally squash the pipeline. If that is the case, I believe that type of calculated political maneuver does nothing to actually explore what's best for both provinces and to actually examine all the possibilities and is NOT in the best interest of any of us.

Bull's eye.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

How many wineries are located in NDP/Green ridings? Bet the lot of NDG twits really don't care about the ban on BC wines.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

dle wrote: Important to note here: When it comes to the governing of BC I have been finding the Greens, with Mr. Weaver at the helm, don't really seem to listen to any point of view but their own in a very single-minded, tunnel-visioned fashion - almost like they stick their fingers in their ears.

Yes, something they share in common with all the pipeline protestors :smt045
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

So in what. 6 months of power. BC NDP. Has given the wine industry a haircut. Screwed BC Hydro. Next Horgan will jeprodize all the BC working men who have to travel to Alberta to earn a living.

Sad

The thorough destruction of BC has begun.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

AlienSoldier wrote:Alberta should add additional taxes to any freight moving across the BC and Alberta border as it increases emissions due to diesel fumes and is a green initiative.

Carbon taxes are already in place for trucking across the Provinces so I'm pretty sure those will be included in some way?

Return to “B.C.”