Another clueless pet owner

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Another clueless pet owner

Post by Fancy »

buckland wrote:According to the article, "Nelson says warning signs should be implemented near traps, and identification tags should be required on all traps."
Utter nonsense because only people can read, not cats or dogs or raccoons or any other animal.

People walk their animals off leash in areas where there are trap lines. ID's on traps won't work when the one used in this case appears to be illegal.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
abraham
Fledgling

Post by abraham »

Cause i let my cat outside make me irresponsible pet owner? I doubt that, and I sure am not the only person either.
Maybe if I live downtown Kelowna I may consider keeping it indoors but other then that it can go outside because I've done the
"Responsible" thing that was getting my beloved fur baby fixed as I should! The one great thing with that is doing my part in helping control the cat population, but also keeps my cat close to home! The only thing I gotta worry about is the coyotes and owls getting her! I sure wouldnt expect out of all the different issues with letting my cat outside would be some idiot setting up a trap that any animal could get trapped in and suffers a slow agonizing death!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

abraham wrote:The only thing I gotta worry about is the coyotes and owls getting her! I sure wouldnt expect out of all the different issues with letting my cat outside would be some idiot setting up a trap that any animal could get trapped in and suffers a slow agonizing death!
A death by coyote or owl could be just as slow and agonizing.
username_71

Post by username_71 »

Definitely the pet owners fault. Why do people think it is ok to allow their cat to wander around the neighborhood crapping in other yards for someone else to clean up? If you have a friggin cat keep it inside or contained in your OWN yard. Don't blame others because you are irresponsible. To me someone else's cat is just a nuisance and unwanted in my yard such as raccoons or rats. I don't hear of people whining about rats being trapped. Keep your pets at home, just common sense.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I love how worked up everyone gets about cat poop. Despite the fact that cats hide their own poo. Also poo is natural and biodegradable. All animals poop. All wildlife. What about bird poop? Should you set bird traps in your yards? Deer poo? Raccoon poo? Worm poo (all over your garden).

All I see are a bunch of cat haters stretching to try and justify their hatred of cats.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

If you like fresh cat crap in your vegetable garden then so be it. For me it is disgusting to have it beside my fresh vegetables.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

you obviously have never dealt with a cat pooping in your yard then..cats like to poop in the same spot...had a neighbor's cat who used my flower bed as a litter box...it destroyed the entire bed !! and trust me is wasn't just a couple of poops, it was tons of poops...most of my plants (that cost me $$) died and I had to take out all the soil and replace it with new soil and plants...

it seemed a tad unfair to me as to why I should have to tolerate and pay for another person's animal to use my property as a litter box...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:I love how worked up everyone gets about cat poop.

Some are not immune to the effects of toxoplasmosis
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Lots of non-harmful ways to prevent cats from going where you don’t want them to. A responsible gardener would ensure that their flowers are protected from all manor of hazards. Animal litter, bugs, weeds, drying etc.

Sounds like you’re trying to blame nature for not being able to properly care for your vegetables.

Funny how all the gardeners and cat owners I knew and grew up with were the same people. You must just be doing something wrong.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Fancy wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:I love how worked up everyone gets about cat poop.

Some are not immune to the effects of toxoplasmosis

I think cats or not, you should probably wash your vegetables before eating them. I mean this is 2018...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's not just the vegetables. Seriously, who would want a cat's poop in the garden to start with? Maybe the cat owners can come up with all the netting etc. to prevent cats from entering someone else's garden. I shouldn't have to go to the expense.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:Lots of non-harmful ways to prevent cats from going where you don’t want them to. A responsible gardener would ensure that their flowers are protected from all manor of hazards. Animal litter, bugs, weeds, drying etc.

Sounds like you’re trying to blame nature for not being able to properly care for your vegetables.

Funny how all the gardeners and cat owners I knew and grew up with were the same people. You must just be doing something wrong.

Why would you assume I'm doing something wrong? And what does that have to do with the pet owner having their cat trapped?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Lots of people have gardens in my neighbourhood. They don’t have traps to catch or kill birds. Or the deer in the area. Or raccoons. It’s seems in my neighbourhood that are capable of growing nature alongside nature. Lots of neighbour cats too.

Maybe you could learn a thing or two from these responsible and less high strung gardeners on how to protect your crop from neighbourhood animals.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Omnitheo wrote:Lots of non-harmful ways to prevent cats from going where you don’t want them to. A responsible gardener would ensure that their flowers are protected from all manor of hazards. Animal litter, bugs, weeds, drying etc.

Setting aside the reality that I shouldn't have to protect my property from other people's pets beyond having a fully fenced yard, why don't you list some of those non-harmful ways to keep cats out and those of us here who've cleaned the cat poo out of our gardens over and over again can tell you which ones we've tried and had poor results with (I promise you we've tried most, if not all of them). Ironically, the only way that I know of that actually seems to work, is to get a cat of your own (or a cat-hatin' dog) to keep other people's cats out.

Cat feces is horrible in the garden, nothing will grow where a cat has been doing it's business and add to that plants that get dug out when kitty is scratching. I understand that people love their cats, but I don't understand how people think it's defensible to set their domestic pets (which have zero to do with "Nature") loose to damage other people's property to the point of denying that it's harmful.

You might be surprised if you ask the gardeners in your neighbourhood whether they have a cat poop problem. It's not something that generally comes up in conversation.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Feb 11th, 2018, 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: off topic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Social Concerns”