B.C. government to build replacement for Pattullo Bridge

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The B.C. government will build a new replacement to the Pattullo Bridge, with construction scheduled to begin in the summer of 2019 and completion in 2023.

I like the pedestrian/cyclist lanes on the side. Sounds like a good project.

EDIT: Was originally going to mention that I was curious to see how the extremophiles on this forum would spin this to be a negative mark against the NDP, but figured I'd just let it play out. I must say they did not disappoint, good spin guys ;)
Last edited by CapitalB on Feb 16th, 2018, 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: B.C. government to build replacement for Pattullo Bridge

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Wow, the NDP investing in infrastructure, which is a departure from their 1990's methodology of just letting infrastructure rot and decay while they did unlimited studies and lined the pockets of their sycophants. Though when I read this, I have a few thoughts:
It will also be funded entirely by the provincial government, from a budgeted $14.6 billion capital infrastructure plan scheduled for the next three years.

The provincial government will be solely responsible for the design, building and financing of the bridge, and will have to dispose of the existing bridge, said Horgan.

Thoughts are:

the "province" is funding this, and is solely responsible for all aspects. All I can think this means is that the NDP will hand this entire project off to their union puppet-masters, who well then ensure that this bridge is at least a billion over budget, and a year to two years behind schedule, while they line the pockets of their sycophants.

So prove me wrong Horgan. Actually turn this project over to qualified people who will get it done on time and on budget. I won't hold my breath.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
the "province" is funding this, and is solely responsible for all aspects. All I can think this means is that the NDP will hand this entire project off to their union puppet-masters, who well then ensure that this bridge is at least a billion over budget, and a year to two years behind schedule, while they line the pockets of their sycophants.

So prove me wrong Horgan. Actually turn this project over to qualified people who will get it done on time and on budget. I won't hold my breath.

I may have missed a few but I don't think I've ever heard of a government infrastructure project coming in at or under budget except when it comes out later that they either cut serious corners or were lining their pockets.

I think largely thats a problem stemming from choosing contractors based off whoever puts in the lowest bid. Nobody really cares if it goes over budget, except the tax payers.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

"Replacing the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will cost $1.37 billion and will be funded solely by the British Columbia government."

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks NDP...but dont you mean solely funded by the taxpayer.....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

So is this a gift to translink or does the BC government own the bridge and will be responsible for maintenance?

I would have preferred for Translink to pay a portion if they ended up owning the asset.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The Green Barbarian wrote: *removed*

*removed*

Also the bennet bridge was 44 million dollars over their original budget.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*

Also the bennet bridge was 44 million dollars over their original budget.

All right, fair enough, it cost $144 million instead of $100 million originally budgeted, and that is unfortunate, I guess. Was it delayed too? My question to Horgan on this then would be - is $1.3 billion enough of a budget for this bridge? Does it factor in all of the time wasting and cost over-runs that generally occur when you hand over projects to big unions to complete?
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

The Pattullo Bridge should have been replaced a couple of decades ago.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

From Twitter:

Keith Baldrey‏Verified account
@keithbaldrey
Retweeted Richard Zussman

Province takes over 100% of the Pattullo Bridge, a reflection that the NDP has become a very Metro Vancouver-centric party. #bcpoli
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

And this will not change until we get Proportional Representation.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:From Twitter:

Keith Baldrey‏Verified account
@keithbaldrey
Retweeted Richard Zussman

Province takes over 100% of the Pattullo Bridge, a reflection that the NDP has become a very Metro Vancouver-centric party. #bcpoli

and this won't change until the disgusting NDP is disbanded.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

My first point is that this project was already in the works - with funding commitments from the province in place. The Translink portion of the funding was dependent on the bridge tolls for 2/3 of its portion, and as the BC NDP recklessly killed the tolls, it spun out into the overall funding for this project which meant that the province had no choice except to take over the project.

My next point is that unlike the Liberal plan for the Massey replacement, this design does not appear to have dedicated bus lanes. That's just plain dumb.

The BC NDP trying to take credit for this project, is rather disingenuous. It was long in the works and funding models were established before the BC NDP shot themselves in the foot withe their reckless bridge toll abolition.

Plus we KNOW that "congestion" tolls are coming, so why won't those be used to cover part of the cost? Because the BC NDP are paying back long time NDP stalwart the snollygoster demovictions Derek and the bicycle Gregor NDP junior varsity in Vancouver.

Once again, the BC NDP using "other people's money" to reward their own.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Have to admit , I'm not impressed with the plan. Yes , the old bridge needs to be replaced , but I think the design barely addresses current need + some pedestrian and cycle lanes to make a small portion of the population happy. If you are going to undertake a project of this size , why not make it something that accommodates today's needs while preparing for what transportation will likely look like 20 or 50 years down the road.

As for paying for it , I'm actually in favor of tolls , so that the users pay. Not $3.15 per trip tolls though , that becomes cost prohibitive to many people who have to get to work. Port Mann Bridge traffic went up by 25 - 35 % daily when the toll was removed. All of those cars had been driving through Surrey / Delta / New Westminster , causing congestion all the way and burning extra fuel just to avoid the expensive toll. $1 per trip would bring in close to $100,000 per day on just the Pattullo bridge. Add that same $1 toll to the Port Mann , and the Alex Fraser , and these expensive pieces of infrastructure start becoming less of a burden on the rest of the province. The people who would *bleep* the loudest about any toll , probably have a $3 cup of coffee in the center console. A small toll would not be a huge hardship for most , and could lead to increased usage of mass transit.

This is the Castanet Forums , so I fully expect to get roasted for offering my personal opinion . Keeping on topic would be a pleasant change though.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

gordon_as wrote:Have to admit , I'm not impressed with the plan. Yes , the old bridge needs to be replaced , but I think the design barely addresses current need + some pedestrian and cycle lanes to make a small portion of the population happy. If you are going to undertake a project of this size , why not make it something that accommodates today's needs while preparing for what transportation will likely look like 20 or 50 years down the road.

As for paying for it , I'm actually in favor of tolls , so that the users pay. Not $3.15 per trip tolls though , that becomes cost prohibitive to many people who have to get to work. Port Mann Bridge traffic went up by 25 - 35 % daily when the toll was removed. All of those cars had been driving through Surrey / Delta / New Westminster , causing congestion all the way and burning extra fuel just to avoid the expensive toll. $1 per trip would bring in close to $100,000 per day on just the Pattullo bridge. Add that same $1 toll to the Port Mann , and the Alex Fraser , and these expensive pieces of infrastructure start becoming less of a burden on the rest of the province. The people who would *bleep* the loudest about any toll , probably have a $3 cup of coffee in the center console. A small toll would not be a huge hardship for most , and could lead to increased usage of mass transit.

This is the Castanet Forums , so I fully expect to get roasted for offering my personal opinion . Keeping on topic would be a pleasant change though.

They did mention that they don't expect the traffic needs of that bridge to increase enough to require the extra lanes but followed up by saying they were prepared to expand it to six lanes if necessary.

Other than those I like what your selling. When are you going to put out your political platform?

Return to “B.C.”