(Take your Meds) Florida school shooter was on medication

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: (Take your Meds) Florida school shooter was on medicatio

Post by Gixxer »

johnny24 wrote:
Gixxer wrote:SSRI do cause irreversible side effects. All to often Doctors use meds when a person is feeling down instead of dealing with the root cause.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

How so care to elaborate on your blanket statement?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:SSRI medications regulate Serotonin levels to help make people feel less distressed. Serotonin doesn't make people pick up a gun and become mass murderers. I take an SSRI and I've never even thought about somehow getting hold of a gun and shooting people.

Did all of these shooters drink water? Quick, someone write an article that water causes people to become mass murderers.

Have you tried coming off them yet? If not your in for a great time. Oh and hows the libido?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Why should HorganIsMyHero come off SSRI medication if it is doing whats needed him/or her.

impo anyone who tells someone with mental illness issues to go off meds is an damn fool. If the meds are not working that's between patient & doctor treating that patient.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Why should HorganIsMyHero come off SSRI medication if it is doing whats needed him/or her.

Commonly believed that all these drugs and most of the ailments they treat only work or exist on paper .

To explain you need to go back to the early days of shrinks .
At first they had ZERO respect from anyone and nobody cared what they thought.

Then all of a sudden one guy made a big push. He was gonna get all the quacks called doctors. Even though they treated no diseases and offered no cures . No treatments. Nothing but unconfirmed diagnoses and medication.
Shortly after making the quacks into doctors all the pharma companies began rebranding all sorts of meds as psychotropic meds. Some to disasterous results.
Anyways. Forward to today

We are still seeing the results of testing . All the shootings are exactly that.
Now the question for me is. Are the results as intended or are these the kids who go off the rails
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Why should HorganIsMyHero come off SSRI medication if it is doing whats needed him/or her.

Jflem1983 wrote:Commonly believed that all these drugs and most of the ailments they treat only work or exist on paper .

To explain you need to go back to the early days of shrinks .
At first they had ZERO respect from anyone and nobody cared what they thought.

Then all of a sudden one guy made a big push. He was gonna get all the quacks called doctors. Even though they treated no diseases and offered no cures . No treatments. Nothing but unconfirmed diagnoses and medication.
Shortly after making the quacks into doctors all the pharma companies began rebranding all sorts of meds as psychotropic meds. Some to disasterous results.
Anyways. Forward to today

We are still seeing the results of testing . All the shootings are exactly that.
Now the question for me is. Are the results as intended or are these the kids who go off the rails

Okay you are one of those who only believe depression exist on paper, good to know.
Go back to your rosy glasses
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Commonly believed that all these drugs and most of the ailments they treat only work or exist on paper .

Not commonly believed as there are too many commercials and reports regarding depression being successfully treated with medication.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Its a trial and error process with these meds. What works on one person might not work on another. Its a roll of the dice each time till the proper med and dosage is found. T

To say these meds arent dangerous and deadly is out right false.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not deadly for everyone at all.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:Its a trial and error process with these meds. What works on one person might not work on another. Its a roll of the dice each time till the proper med and dosage is found. T

To say these meds arent dangerous and deadly is out right false.

Very true, for those who have found the ones that work or combination of. It is truly like finding the light at the end of pitch black tunnel (not my words but a friend who suffered for years with depression).
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Why should HorganIsMyHero come off SSRI medication if it is doing whats needed him/or her.

impo anyone who tells someone with mental illness issues to go off meds is an damn fool. If the meds are not working that's between patient & doctor treating that patient.

No ones telling anyone to come off meds. I simply asked if they evwr tried coming off them. So Im not sure why the confusion.

Yes these meds work great for some people but sometimes they stop working. Or the side effects such as lack of libido, weight gain, or drowsiness become to much so they decide to come off.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote:Not deadly for everyone at all.

Whats that even mean???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some people need them to live a normal life.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote:Some people need them to live a normal life.

Yes and it can be deadly for some.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 18th, 2018, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Gixxer wrote:Have you tried coming off them yet? If not your in for a great time. Oh and hows the libido?

-Going off a psychiatric drug isn't too much of a problem as long as it's done slowly.
-Libido issues have largely been dealt with with the newer medications especially when the body has adjusted to the drugs

Jflem1983 wrote:Then all of a sudden one guy made a big push. He was gonna get all the quacks called doctors. Even though they treated no diseases and offered no cures . No treatments. Nothing but unconfirmed diagnoses and medication.

-I think you've been reading too many anti-psychiatrist websites and or believing stories from people who think psychiatrists are secretly demons

-Please do a simple Google search and learn what services psychiatrists offer. There's a whole health center downtown that largely has psychiatrists and other doctors / nurses helping people in various group sessions

Return to “Social Concerns”