Snow on vehicles

69cutlass
Übergod

Snow on vehicles

Post by 69cutlass »

Did anyone see this "news" story on castanet. Wow world class reporting. For starters the way the snow has accumulated on the rear of the vehicle is not from someone not clearing snow off their vehicle before leaving home/work/ wherever. It is clearly accumulated from driving on a snow covered road . This is not negligence on behalf of the driver. Just something that happens in the winter and should be delt with the next time the vehicle stops.

As for the tail lights being blocked this is the fault of vehicle manufacturers as older filament bulbs produced enough heat to melt away any accumulated snow on the tail lights. Led tail lights dont produce any heat so tail lights get covered and stay covered.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... his-driver
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Re: Snow on vehicles

Post by LivinginKelowna »

Absofreekinglutely bang on

News story - people need to get bent

I hope they ticket the clown on the video for doing 80 in a 60 zone and recording it in his voice
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Point the finger wherever you want but It's still the driver's responsibility to ensure the lights are visible and their vehicle is safe/roadworthy. The driver of that vehicle failed to do so.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

TylerM4 wrote: The driver of that vehicle failed to do so.

How would you know this ?

It's possible it was pulled out of a garage, fresh and clean one hour away.

Do you stop once an hour to check your taillights ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Incorrect. As long as the vehicle has not stopped since their departure they are fine. Once they stop they must clean.

Every driver coming down from big white looks just like that. How and or when are they to know if they are covered or when to pull over to clean them. Ever 10 min. 20. What you tell us
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

69cutlass wrote:Incorrect. As long as the vehicle has not stopped since their departure they are fine. Once they stop they must clean.

Every driver coming down from big white looks just like that. How and or when are they to know if they are covered or when to pull over to clean them. Ever 10 min. 20. What you tell us

Can you point to the law or ICBC suggestion on this?
Or is this just your opinion?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

69cutlass wrote:Did anyone see this "news" story on castanet. Wow world class reporting. For starters the way the snow has accumulated on the rear of the vehicle is not from someone not clearing snow off their vehicle before leaving home/work/ wherever. It is clearly accumulated from driving on a snow covered road . This is not negligence on behalf of the driver. Just something that happens in the winter and should be delt with the next time the vehicle stops.

As for the tail lights being blocked this is the fault of vehicle manufacturers as older filament bulbs produced enough heat to melt away any accumulated snow on the tail lights. Led tail lights dont produce any heat so tail lights get covered and stay covered.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... his-driver

Are you kidding? Many times I've had snow covering my filament style bulbs. The snow will not accumulate on the rear of the vehicle to that degree. That is clearly someone that parks outside and only clears off the front of the vehicle. Last couple of days I've seen cars with clear spots only where the wipers touch. Laziness.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Most cars have heated rear windows so why don'y they make heated tail lights?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Bsuds wrote:Most cars have heated rear windows so why don'y they make heated tail lights?

Wouldn't that drive up the cost of parts and repair in event of damage ?

We can't afford it ! ie premium paying residents of B.C.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We put more importance on heated seats than heated lights. Comfort before safety!

Makes no sense.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Im baseing this on my experience as a commercial driver. At every stop in the winter months the rear of the trailer needed the lights cleaned if they were led. Filament bulbs would usually clean themselves. Plate still needed cleaned either way. And yes that picture was of accumulation while driving not of resting snow not being cleared.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

it would appear that those blaming the driver for this have never driven down from Big White on a typical afternoon [icon_lol2.gif]

I drove on the highway saturday and you couldn't tell the colour of my truck due to all the snow and it was completely clean when I left
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Exactly. Thank you
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

69cutlass wrote:Exactly. Thank you

It doesn’t mean that once in a while, and particularly once a driver hits town, they shouldn’t get out and do a walk around and knock the snow off the tail lights and the licence plate.

No one else is going to do it for you.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

wow unbelievable social media shaming had hit an all time low. This person really needs to get a life.

Who knows the back story of where the snow covered vehicle came from? Maybe it just came down from the connector or big white.

Return to “Central Okanagan”