What's the plan Kelowna/West Kelowna for new ice facilities?

Rhime

What's the plan Kelowna/West Kelowna for new ice facilities?

Post by Rhime »

Just wondering why it seems Kelowna is more concerned with installing more soccer pitches when I see a very high demand for new arenas including multi-ice facilities like Richmond or Fraser Valley. Hockey and Ringette players could really use three or four new rinks in Kelowna or West Kelowna. Ice times could really use a boost!
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: What's the plan Kelowna/West Kelowna for new ice facilit

Post by Jflem1983 »

Rhime wrote:Just wondering why it seems Kelowna is more concerned with installing more soccer pitches when I see a very high demand for new arenas including multi-ice facilities like Richmond or Fraser Valley. Hockey and Ringette players could really use three or four new rinks in Kelowna or West Kelowna. Ice times could really use a boost!

Soccer field can be used for all sorts of stuff. Cheap to look after compared to refrigeration systems. Hockey is a dying sport . Only able to be played by the richest whitest people on earth. Canadians are starting to figure this out
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

With the Ultimate Hockey rink, Jim Lind and Royal Lepage in West Kelowna, I don't see another rink coming any time soon.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

As stated, soccer facilities are cheaper to build and maintain. The indoor facility on what used to be the Rutland Senior Secondary playing field is very near completion.

I don't think hockey is going anywhere, but with six ice surfaces in Kelowna (which are also used for figure skating, ringette, public skating, and at least one is used for lacrosse in the summer), I'm not sure there's an acute need for more. At least not one that would trigger the massive expenditure needed to build an ice rink.

Rhime, you asked why the City seems to be prioritizing soccer. Have you asked any City staff members about this?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Rhime

Post by Rhime »

JayByrd wrote:As stated, soccer facilities are cheaper to build and maintain. The indoor facility on what used to be the Rutland Senior Secondary playing field is very near completion.

I don't think hockey is going anywhere, but with six ice surfaces in Kelowna (which are also used for figure skating, ringette, public skating, and at least one is used for lacrosse in the summer), I'm not sure there's an acute need for more. At least not one that would trigger the massive expenditure needed to build an ice rink.

Rhime, you asked why the City seems to be prioritizing soccer. Have you asked any City staff members about this?

I haven't asked anyone about this topic as yet.
My question stems from our time at the multiple rinks around Kelowna, West Kelowna and Winfield. When teams (from Kelowna) are forced to practice early mornings as far away as Armstrong or Enderby, it begs the question about why this is so? Hockey is NOT dead as posted by someone up top, and ringette is only growing each year and the demand for ice times are growing too. Richmond and Fraser Valley have multi-ice facilities (4 rinks) which I believe our area could stand to use.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Rhime wrote:Just wondering why it seems Kelowna is more concerned with installing more soccer pitches when I see a very high demand for new arenas including multi-ice facilities like Richmond or Fraser Valley. Hockey and Ringette players could really use three or four new rinks in Kelowna or West Kelowna. Ice times could really use a boost!

Because soccer is a way better sport.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Almost double that play soccer. If we put the resources into soccer that we do hockey, we should be competing with the best nations in the world.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

IMO the city isn't going to build another costly arena with multiple ice sheets because it won't bring in more revenue. They are supporting all of KMHA, figure skating, ringette, Adult hockey, public skating, and other programs as is. The arena's major revenue sources come from the programs that use them, if they build another multi-sheet facility they aren't going to suddenly see another 1000 kids sign up to play hockey to cover the cost. They are just going to be using the same revenue they have to pay another liability.

Plus I've found with the Okanagan that if you DON"T build something you have a few people, like yourself, ask "why don't they build this". But when you say we're going to build this you have HUNDREDS of people that want to complain about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

johnny24 wrote:Because soccer is a way better sport.

Soccer is very good sport, its a damn shame it's main body FIFA is so damn corrupt.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Rhime

Post by Rhime »

johnny24 wrote:

Because soccer is a way better sport.

Well, that's debatable. 75 teams from the Okanagan, Lower Mainland and Alberta that left last weekend after an awesome Sweetheart Ringette tournament bringing much $ to the city would like to disagree. How much revenue does soccer bring in with registrations and tournaments?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Rhime wrote:
Well, that's debatable. 75 teams from the Okanagan, Lower Mainland and Alberta that left last weekend after an awesome Sweetheart Ringette tournament bringing much $ to the city would like to disagree. How much revenue does soccer bring in with registrations and tournaments?

I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but the City of Kelowna as a business entity doesn't see much of that money. It benefits the city in general (hotels, restaurants, etc) but a tournament like Sweetheart does very little to offset the cost of building and maintaining a facility.

I'm not sure how many years Memorial Arena has left. I could see it eventually being mothballed (at least as a functioning ice sheet) and something else being built in town to fill the void. That might be the opportunity to see a multi-sheet facility get done.
Rhime

Post by Rhime »

JayByrd wrote:
Rhime wrote:

I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but the City of Kelowna as a business entity doesn't see much of that money. It benefits the city in general (hotels, restaurants, etc) but a tournament like Sweetheart does very little to offset the cost of building and maintaining a facility.

I'm not sure how many years Memorial Arena has left. I could see it eventually being mothballed (at least as a functioning ice sheet) and something else being built in town to fill the void. That might be the opportunity to see a multi-sheet facility get done.

Agreed! The City of Kelowna should be more concerned with the kids and families than just the revenue generation. Ice sports in Canada is a way of life and that should be supported in every way. Sadly, I see Memorial arena being turned into another commercial property judging by the layout already in place.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Rhime wrote:
Agreed! The City of Kelowna should be more concerned with the kids and families than just the revenue generation. Ice sports in Canada is a way of life and that should be supported in every way. Sadly, I see Memorial arena being turned into another commercial property judging by the layout already in place.

I believe the Simpson Covenant prevents that site from being used for something other than public use. I could see the building being razed and turned into a park or plaza of some sort. Even that could be a decade or more away though.
beaknjenn

Post by beaknjenn »

I was under the impression KU ( Kelowna United Football Club ) along with the school district and many parent volunteers paid for and erected the new dome in Rutland. I didn't think it had anything to do with the City. Hockey is alive and well in Kelowna and so is Soccer and my sons plays both. When you play for a club soccer is just as if not more expensive than hockey.

Return to “Central Okanagan”