Snow on vehicles

delSol97
Board Meister

Re: Snow on vehicles

Post by delSol97 »

If you are following at a safe distance and have any sort of depth perception that should be required to operate a motor vehicle, even if the car in front of you had two inoperable/burned out tail lights you should be capable of stopping without rear-ending it.

I see far worse things occuring on roads regularly than "uncleared snow".

The stuff people fixate on ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Loki2u wrote:Would it have been so bad for the maker of this video to politely pull up beside them at the stop light, rolled down the window and informed them their lights were covered?

Going to the media? Treating the driver like they were a dangerous criminal? Give me a break!

When did being nice and neighborly become uncommon in Canada?

That is true, and I think that the following driver could have done more....BUT....they were BOTH going 20 KMH over the speed limit, and considering the road conditions that was probably 40 over the safe speed.
Both are wrong for their actions and the manner that they dealt with the situation. They both deserve official RCMP coupons.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

alanjh595 wrote:Okay then, he took the time to clear the snow off the whole window, because if it was just cleared by the wiper, it would have been a 1/2 circle shape. That means that he was aware of the condition of the rear of his car but failed to address this situation in order to comply with the MVA.
Obviously, negligent and worthy of a "coupon" issued by the RCMP.

Wrong. The heat within the vehicle would've made the glass warm melting the snow or perhaps they used something called the rear defrost.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

When did "rear defrost" apply to the the licence plate and the tail lights?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:

ummm...I thought I had.

KL3-Something wrote:It doesn’t mean that once in a while, and particularly once a driver hits town, they shouldn’t get out and do a walk around and knock the snow off the tail lights and the licence plate.

No one else is going to do it for you.

yup...i did

See? Not see "cut and dry" now is it? :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:Not really all that difficult to understand.

KL3-Something wrote:I didn’t think it was either.

No one said it was - you're just missing the point I was trying to make - that's all :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I try to keep my lights clear when I can. As for the plate, I could care less - its not a safety requirement so not a priority compared to the lights.

* cue in the Castanet Road Gods "but you're breaking the law, blah, blah, blah" :up:
momma2a.sage

Post by momma2a.sage »

Its clear to see that many of you did not understand the intention of my initial post.

I don't know about those of you who say you cannot see snow...but to me its pretty clear that there is, in fact, snow on the window as well as on the back portion of the vehicle and covering the license plate. If, as you seem to believe, the individual has a 'clean' window... then how is it that they managed to clear the parts extending further than the wipers reached and not the rest of the snow? I have a rear window wiper and it absolutely does not cover the entire window for cleaning. With my car sitting in the snowy weather, I will almost always have to give the area that is not covered by the wipers a good wipe down. So to me, this argument is futile.

Also, when I said that a person should check their peripheral, it was meant that an individual should be using all forms of visionary devices to see when they are unable to by turning their head. The definition of peripheral vision is "side vision; what is seen on the side by the eye when looking straight ahead". So therefore, a person who driving and looking straight ahead while looking at the rear view mirror to see behind is technically using their peripheral vision.

Yes actually, I have driven up and down from Big White for over four years in many different types of vehicles. I drove a Chevrolet Avalanche for about 2 years (which anyone who knows what these vehicles look like, they are completely obstructed in view by the cab). I also drove a Ford F150 and a van similar to the one that is in this video. So I am well aware of the hazards that each of these vehicles bestow during the winter. I stopped almost every day in either upper Rutland at the Esso along Hwy 33 or at the Petro further down, to pump gas into my vehicles and to check for any issues. This is what any responsible driver should be doing if they are driving in winter conditions. But like I said, I never once had an issue with my license plate being covered to that extent. But be my guest in trying to tell me that I don't know what I am talking about... because I am sure that you have MUCH more experience :up:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

momma2a.sage wrote:
I don't know about those of you who say you cannot see snow...but to me its pretty clear that there is, in fact, snow on the window as well as on the back portion of the vehicle and covering the license plate. If, as you seem to believe, the individual has a 'clean' window... then how is it that they managed to clear the parts extending further than the wipers reached and not the rest of the snow? I have a rear window wiper and it absolutely does not cover the entire window for cleaning. With my car sitting in the snowy weather, I will almost always have to give the area that is not covered by the wipers a good wipe down. So to me, this argument is futile.

Seriously?

As mentioned in other posts. It’s this little feature cars have called “rear window defrost”
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attacks.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I drove from West Kelowna to Penticton on Saturday night and had my license plate covered in that short, maintained drive... window was clear though because of rear window defrost.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

Jhunter199 wrote:I drove from West Kelowna to Penticton on Saturday night and had my license plate covered in that short, maintained drive... window was clear though because of rear window defrost.

please don't bring real world experience into this conversation *removed* [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I watched a neighbour drive away this morning with his back window still covered in snow. He cleared all the others so why leave that one? I Know he probably has his defroster on but it only takes a second to clear it.
He then proceeded to not stop at a stop sign so I guess that shows his mind set.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:I watched a neighbour drive away this morning with his back window still covered in snow. He cleared all the others so why leave that one? I Know he probably has his defroster on but it only takes a second to clear it.
He then proceeded to not stop at a stop sign so I guess that shows his mind set.

Not disagreeing with you - but as long as one has side view mirrors, a rear window being obstructed isn’t illegal. However, snow blowing off a car could warrant a ticket - but from a rear window that’s not as low key then say the roof or hood.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I just thought it was kind of dumb to clear every window but the back one. He did 5 why not one more?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”