An Okanagan drawl?

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: An Okanagan drawl?

Post by JayByrd »

MAPearce wrote:I'm thinking the same thing .... But hey , with out these "geniuses" we wouldn't have the torture of the English language that is "Ebonics" ...

In your travels south of the border, you've probably noticed that many black folks speak with a particular vernacular. If you've never travelled to the US, you've certainly noticed it on TV. Anyways, you can call it Ebonics if you like, but either way, it wasn't invented by linguistics professors. It evolved all by itself!

Otherwise I think you may be referring to a kerfuffle that occurred when a particular school board in the US chose to recognize "Ebonics" as a distinct language. But my dude that was over 20 years ago, and the idea didn't catch on.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

I wouldn't doubt that there is some sort of regional "accent". That reminds me of Saskatchewan, where there are several places that have their own ways to talk. My family included, with their obvious Low German-like akzents.
I am... the law!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They call it dialect over in Europe, it may be the proper term here as well.
We don't care how they do it in Van..anyway.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

There is a bit of an accent in kelownafornia. Sounds similar to the jersey shore. That aswell as a look. White sunglases. flat brim hat. jacked up ford with red plates. roided out. You've all seen them all over town
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

probably all the same ftards that call Kelowna ktown
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

In Calgary, locals tend to pronounce it Cal gry. In Toronto, it generally comes out Tronno. And I have heard the Vangcouver pronounciation myself many times.

It's a comfort thing.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I got a Hangoover in Vangoover once....
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I got a Hangoover in Vangoover once....

Only once? I'm disappointed, I had many.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

LTD wrote:probably all the same ftards that call Kelowna ktown

Do nicknames offend you? I know many who call Kelowna KTown. Cow Town is a common name for Calgary. “The Loops” for Kamloops. I often jokingly call Chilliwack Corn Town. West Kelowna as WestK. Fort Mac...

Giving endearing nicknames to your home or places you frequent doesn’t make you a “ftard”, nor is it a new phenomenon.
Otherwise you should probably go talk to all those businesses that use “OK” in their names, or people that say “OK Valley” instead of Okanagan. What ftards right?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

I’m not from here, so I speak with some outside perspective.

Words that struck me odd on arrival and still catch my ear after 15 years in the province;

Pronunciation of again, been, gondola, plethora and decal.

The concrete divider on a highway is a MEDIAN, not a meridian and I refuse to call a shopping cart a buggy unless somebody hooks it up to a horse. The first time I heard this use of “buggy,” I stared at them confused. If not for context, I wouldn’t have had any idea.

I know these aren’t specific to Kelowna. Maybe they aren’t even specific to British Columbia, but they’re certainly contrary to my own speech.

Return to “Central Okanagan”