Potatoes and Potatoes only.

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Potatoes and Potatoes only.

Post by LANDM »

Bman wrote:Next time u pop by, make a point to peek at my spud patch.
You can stick your arm in up to your shoulder. Nice and rich and totally unrestricted .

If that isn't the Euphemism-of-the-Year, I don't know what is! :200:
You and 71 others Like this post
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Now now!

Tomorrow I'm planting some German variety, they're all ready now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I have a friend who grew a LOT of potatoes in tires. Here's a link to an article (and an excerpt) that tells you all about it.

Crazy to think that four tires high can can yield so much:

Stacking Tires
As the potato plants grow, more tires and soil are added to the stack. The stacking begins when plants reach about 2 to 3 inches high. The plants are not completely covered, as a small portion of the plants should be visible. The stacking continues to three or four tires high, and the tubers continue to grow in the depth of the stack. A four-tire stack can yield up to 25 pounds of potatoes.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/many-potato-plants-can-planted-per-tire-43326.html
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

ok-kel wrote:Hi.
I need opinions.
I have this metal frame bin that i wanted to grow potatoes in.
It is basically one of those that you would see at Walmart that would hold beach balls.
I love the idea that i could stick my hand through one of the many open squares to reach the potatoes.
I also have 2 bales of straw and great dirt.
If i frames the inside of it with thin cardboard and filled the lower area about 3 ft tall with thick straw and then put in a ft of soil with the seed potatoes in the soil layer, would that work?
Any other ideas?

Get your spuds in?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

3 types of taters this year red Pontiac another red one I forget and Yukon gold . Hoping for 100 lbs
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

coffeeFreak wrote:I have a friend who grew a LOT of potatoes in tires. Here's a link to an article (and an excerpt) that tells you all about it.

Crazy to think that four tires high can can yield so much:

Stacking Tires
As the potato plants grow, more tires and soil are added to the stack. The stacking begins when plants reach about 2 to 3 inches high. The plants are not completely covered, as a small portion of the plants should be visible. The stacking continues to three or four tires high, and the tubers continue to grow in the depth of the stack. A four-tire stack can yield up to 25 pounds of potatoes.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/many-potato-plants-can-planted-per-tire-43326.html

I did this when we lived in Williams Lake with great success. Tried it here last year and wasn't so good. Thinking it was too hot in the black tires above ground.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Likely very hot. Too hot, yes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote:Likely very hot. Too hot, yes.

I agree with you. That seems to be the most reasonable diagnosis. Potatoes like cool.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm on the last of last year's taters.
Still got lots of corn tho.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote:Likely very hot. Too hot, yes.

The ONLY advantage to growing spuds in a tire, in Kelowna, is that; they will come out "half baked".

Pretty much same applies to out of town, beach dwelling, tourists too. (one hot afternoon on a hot bed of sand and some local weed fertilizer........) :D
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:3 types of taters this year red Pontiac another red one I forget and Yukon gold . Hoping for 100 lbs

Jflem, did you ever get your 100lbs of taters? :D
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

On CBC's North by Northwest this morning (saturday) hosted by the silken-voiced Cheryl McKay is a 15 min. Garden talk.

Discusses growing spuds in sacks, you can start now...need bags, a little soil, straw and warmer for bag bottoms (yes, spuds too)

Also, you allprobably know this, but I sure didn't, that brasicas should NEVER be planted in withother types of crops because they kill the beneficial mychorrizal growth in the soil that other plants MUST have to survive. Because of that, never rotate other crop types the following year into a previous brasica area unless you have done extensive soil amendments.

15 min listen, good stuff

(Chin up Catsumi, spring will come).
Last edited by Catsumi on Mar 17th, 2018, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good to know! Bring it on!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

90 days to the first pick of warbas!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”