Be smart while shoveling snow

gsc
Board Meister

Be smart while shoveling snow

Post by gsc »

So this is kind of a rant and a safety warning at the same time. The past couple dumps of snow we have had I have seen about 8 people shoveling the road way as well on residential streets. That's awesome for people walking and snow melting.

The problem I have is these 8 people I have seen also feel that its safe to be on a slippery road and could care less to move off of it when vehicles are coming. If they do decide to move its at a snails pace and its dangerous for both driver and the person shoveling.

I have also come across 1 person who was snow blowing there driveway onto the road. Now I could careless what others decide to do how ever it would be nice if they stopped while we drove through. It completely blinded us for a couple seconds lucky we where only crawling hoping he would have stopped.

I don't know if these people have no regard for there life or others but please be smart and use your head when out there shoveling or snow blowing. Roads are slick and not everyone drives to the conditions sadly and I would hate to see people get hurt. I get that some people including my self shovel part of the road for others but I also move off the road when I see a car coming. I don't want to become a statistic and you shouldn't either so please be safe out there.
KelownaDavid

Re: Be smart while shoveling snow

Post by KelownaDavid »

these people you mentioned are doing a good deed. they are also mindful of the drivers on the road. as mentioned in an un-aired news story, it was mentioned that people are really scared to walk the road because of careless, unthoughtful dangerous drivers. the snow clearing is just another form of 'neighbourhood calming techniques'. Some people should also consider that they should not be doing the power-turn stunting.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

KelownaDavid wrote:these people you mentioned are doing a good deed. they are also mindful of the drivers on the road.

Just curious if you actually took the time to read what was written? I never said they were not doing a good deed lol I also stated that I do it as well. However I tend to get my butt off the road as fast as I can when a car comes.

What bothers me about your comment is the "they are also mindful of the drivers on the road." It makes me really feel like you don't get the point I was trying to get across or you just didn't read what was written.

What I said was "The problem I have is these 8 people I have seen also feel that its safe to be on a slippery road and could care less to move off of it when vehicles are coming. If they do decide to move its at a snails pace and its dangerous for both driver and the person shoveling.

I have also come across 1 person who was snow blowing there driveway onto the road. Now I could careless what others decide to do how ever it would be nice if they stopped while we drove through. It completely blinded us for a couple seconds lucky we where only crawling hoping he would have stopped."

I would absolutely love to hear your response on how you think "they are also mindful of the drivers on the road". Clearly they are not if they are not moving for drivers or blinding them with snow blowers.

One with any type of common Sense would think hey it's slippery out and a car is coming I should move to a safer spot till it passes. Maybe I'm wrong but I value my life and have seen how many drive so I get my butt off the road.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I also never stated where I saw these people! I'm also not to sure what area your talking about where people are scared to walk the street lol.

I personally have many people walk past my home every day many I even wave to and chat with if I'm out side. Just a few examples few families, elderly, people with dogs and many kids. As I type this there is people walking by laughing I don't see any scared.
KelownaDavid

Post by KelownaDavid »

gsc wrote:
KelownaDavid wrote:these people you mentioned are doing a good deed. they are also mindful of the drivers on the road.

Just curious if you actually took the time to read what was written? I never said they were not doing a good deed lol I also stated that I do it as well. However I tend to get my butt off the road as fast as I can when a car comes.

What bothers me about your comment is the "they are also mindful of the drivers on the road." It makes me really feel like you don't get the point I was trying to get across or you just didn't read what was written.

What I said was "The problem I have is these 8 people I have seen also feel that its safe to be on a slippery road and could care less to move off of it when vehicles are coming. If they do decide to move its at a snails pace and its dangerous for both driver and the person shoveling.

I have also come across 1 person who was snow blowing there driveway onto the road. Now I could careless what others decide to do how ever it would be nice if they stopped while we drove through. It completely blinded us for a couple seconds lucky we where only crawling hoping he would have stopped."

I would absolutely love to hear your response on how you think "they are also mindful of the drivers on the road". Clearly they are not if they are not moving for drivers or blinding them with snow blowers.

One with any type of common Sense would think hey it's slippery out and a car is coming I should move to a safer spot till it passes. Maybe I'm wrong but I value my life and have seen how many drive so I get my butt off the road.

very commendable of you to koodo those 8. i came across a guy on a side street doing the same thing. hed thought he was ok. I stopped and he was like, what was wrong. My neighbour as well will snow blow into street and cross street into neighbours driveway. no koodos for any around here. now i am rambling.

my reply to mindful of drivers on the road is for the snow shoveling, not snow blowing. snow blower would be inconsiderate.

I personally make my snow pile to left side of driveway facing street and off street where the snowplow will not pick it up and place in the next doors driveway.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So Friday night after the game I took a longer way home I went south on Water St. Was rather shocked to see polar opposites, Court House sidewalk & steps snow was totally removed. As I walked by City Hall snow was not touched, in facted it was packed down & slippery.
So City Hall does not even adhere to their own bylaws, what made even funnier was Queensway transit area even sidewalks the snow was removed.

So for hell of it I drove passed City Hall Saturday afternoon still not touched. impo unacceptable
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Just Google "shovelling snow onto road" and peruse the local bylaws of numerous municipalities that do not permit it - Kelowna included. To actually be mechanically blowing snow not only onto a roadway - but while traffic is present, well, that's just a whole other level of stupid.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:So Friday night after the game I took a longer way home I went south on Water St. Was rather shocked to see polar opposites, Court House sidewalk & steps snow was totally removed. As I walked by City Hall snow was not touched, in facted it was packed down & slippery.
So City Hall does not even adhere to their own bylaws, what made even funnier was Queensway transit area even sidewalks the snow was removed.

So for hell of it I drove passed City Hall Saturday afternoon still not touched. impo unacceptable

They've made it clear in a number of ways they feel they don't have to follow their own rules :)
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

what a petty thing to make a thread about...

grown men fighting about snow removal and what's the right way to do it..haha

there is so much more to life :) the snow will melt soon..
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

W105 wrote:what a petty thing to make a thread about...

- and yet you still felt compelled to post a reply to it.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I believe the intention of the thread was more to remind people that sometimes even when you're thinking you're doing a good deed, you may actually be putting yourself in harms way, or unintentionally someone else.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yup for sure Jhunter..thank god for advice like this for people out there who's lives are in danger because of someone's decision on how they get rid of their snow...

it's gonna melt soon..it's gonna be ok and go away :)
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Jhunter199 wrote:

I believe the intention of the thread was more to remind people that sometimes even when you're thinking you're doing a good deed, you may actually be putting yourself in harms way, or unintentionally someone else.

Well I'm glad some people understand lol.

W150 I was not fighting about snow removal and could honestly care less how one removes it lol. I do how ever have a problem with people standing on the road not moving when they see a vehicle coming. Your also right there is a lot more to life but that life can be taken very quickly with one :cuss: decision to not move off the road when a vehicle comes towards you on a slippery Rd.

Return to “Central Okanagan”