Sheriffs in US putting assault rifles back on the streets...

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Sheriffs in US putting assault rifles back on the street

Post by dle »

Even Steven wrote:
dle wrote:A lot of gang members own legitimate businesses to launder their money and dress like businesspeople, and that's the persona they project to their neighbours.

I highly doubt that sheriff's department is selling firearms based on how people dress and their "persona".

Jeez I just have to take this bait....I guess I'll have to clarify for some but I'm thinking most people would understand the statement " lot of gang members own legitimate businesses to launder their money and dress like business people, and that's the persona they project to their neighbours" to mean that things aren't always what they appear to be. ANYONE with connections and a desire can have phony ID/background history to make them someone they are not - how do you think organized crime operates? I didn't infer the cops would sell to them if they showed up wearing Prada. Of course they'd show up to buy the guns with all the proper credentials to make them appear, on paper, to be a "law-abiding citizen".
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Jlabute wrote:It’s unlikely the US will become like Canada and restrict the living daylights out of the smallest of weapons. They love their second amendment and right to bear arms even though it is an old rule of law, and much less common in modern constitutions. I don’t think they are ready yet to rewrite their constitution.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

I could see more laws put in place perhaps, restricting more powerful weapons and increasing the age of ownership. As for cops selling used weapons, I’d worry more about liability and the used weapons being in substandard condition ;-)

What else can you do other than lay down more restrictive laws to obtain an assault weapon? If you had a new law like you had to be over 25 before being able to purchase a semi-automatic, or automatic gun, would that fly? You could still illegally obtain one.

So riddle me this: Why? Why would you (or anyone) want one? Second amendment aside, what possible "good" reason could anyone other than military personnel in combat have for possessing an operating assault rifle etc? Target practice? Not much of a target left to examine for accuracy so probably not. Hunting for game? Wouldn't be much left of that moose either...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dle wrote:
Jlabute wrote:It’s unlikely the US will become like Canada and restrict the living daylights out of the smallest of weapons. They love their second amendment and right to bear arms even though it is an old rule of law, and much less common in modern constitutions. I don’t think they are ready yet to rewrite their constitution.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

I could see more laws put in place perhaps, restricting more powerful weapons and increasing the age of ownership. As for cops selling used weapons, I’d worry more about liability and the used weapons being in substandard condition ;-)

What else can you do other than lay down more restrictive laws to obtain an assault weapon? If you had a new law like you had to be over 25 before being able to purchase a semi-automatic, or automatic gun, would that fly? You could still illegally obtain one.

So riddle me this: Why? Why would you (or anyone) want one? Second amendment aside, what possible "good" reason could anyone other than military personnel in combat have for possessing an operating assault rifle etc? Target practice? Not much of a target left to examine for accuracy so probably not. Hunting for game? Wouldn't be much left of that moose either...

Why not have one. Cops got em. Army has em. Crooks got em. Only person lacking an assualt rifle is u
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*bleep* do I need an assault rifle for? A target for people to break into my house to get after?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Omnitheo wrote:*bleep* do I need an assault rifle for? A target for people to break into my house to get after?

IF a gun floats your boat as your choice of defence there are plenty of non-automatic hand guns you could use....still NO, ZERO, NADA reason to have an assault rifle.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Dizzy1 wrote:Police. Cabela's. Walmart.

What does it matter who's selling the guns? The fact alone that these guns being resold were already used in some sort of criminal activity and to put them back out on the street is beyond ludicrous.

What does it matter...exactly. Why pick on the sheriff or other police when the vast majority of guns are bought elsewhere. Not all guns sold by the police were used in criminal activities. Many were turned in because they didn't want them anymore. Some are turned in due to a family member's death and the other members do not want them. Some that are seized by police have never been used in any crime but were simply in the possession of someone who isn't allowed to possess a weapon of any kind.
The only ludicrous statements are the paint everyone with the same brush garbage that is so prevalent after one of these shootings.
The real breakdown was in the 39 calls to the house of this psychopath's house in the last 7 years with no power to do anything. Thanks ACLU, protecting rights no matter what the cost.
Unintended consequences of myopic left wing dogma.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JagXKR wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:Police. Cabela's. Walmart.

What does it matter who's selling the guns? The fact alone that these guns being resold were already used in some sort of criminal activity and to put them back out on the street is beyond ludicrous.

What does it matter...exactly. Why pick on the sheriff or other police when the vast majority of guns are bought elsewhere. Not all guns sold by the police were used in criminal activities. Many were turned in because they didn't want them anymore. Some are turned in due to a family member's death and the other members do not want them. Some that are seized by police have never been used in any crime but were simply in the possession of someone who isn't allowed to possess a weapon of any kind.
The only ludicrous statements are the paint everyone with the same brush garbage that is so prevalent after one of these shootings.
The real breakdown was in the 39 calls to the house of this psychopath's house in the last 7 years with no power to do anything. Thanks ACLU, protecting rights no matter what the cost.
Unintended consequences of myopic left wing dogma.

K, so again, tell me the NEED for the everyday person to own an ASSAULT RIFLE? Better make it good because I need a LOT of convincing....
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Once again the media and the anti-gun crowd is being somewhat dishonest. No military in the world uses a strictly semi-automatic rifle as a main battle rifle. The term "assault rifle" was a propaganda term that Hitler came up with with for their Sturmgewehr rifle that translates to "storm " rifle or "Assault" rifle. So here we have the modern media and their friends using Nazi propaganda to further their agenda. Figures. Modern military battle rifles have selective fire including fully automatic. They also have support systems to supply them with plenty of ammunition. They also use heavy machine guns and grenades etc. something no citizens own. So the term "assault rifle" is loosely used to strike fear into the hearts of people, just like for the same reasons the Nazis used it. We will never come up with any solutions when the media and their allies are being dishonest and are fear mongering to try and impose their will on us. They are trying to link good people with guns to mass murderers. This is the logic racists use. If we want to come up with solutions we must stop the finger pointing and work together. Gun owners are not enemy.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Dizzy1 wrote:No point has been missed. Weapons that shouldn't be out in general circulation are being put back out there.

Nope, you missed the point. There's no point of closing ONE store while there are 99 other stores selling the exact same thing. This ONE store you're upset about isn't doing anything against the current laws. While the guns might have been used for criminal activity, it doesn't mean they caused the crime. At this moment it's goods just like cars or popcorn machines.

If the sheriff's department would be selling the cars they seized for street racing would you be upset too? After all, these cars can be used for speeding again. Let's melt them all? Doesn't make sense since 99 other dealerships selling same cars to the public around the corner.

You want to prevent people from acquiring firearms you change the laws and policies. Stores or police departments have nothing to do with laws. They just follow them.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Mark5 wrote:Once again the media and the anti-gun crowd is being somewhat dishonest. No military in the world uses a strictly semi-automatic rifle as a main battle rifle. The term "assault rifle" was a propaganda term that Hitler came up with with for their Sturmgewehr rifle that translates to "storm " rifle or "Assault" rifle. So here we have the modern media and their friends using Nazi propaganda to further their agenda. Figures. Modern military battle rifles have selective fire including fully automatic. They also have support systems to supply them with plenty of ammunition. They also use heavy machine guns and grenades etc. something no citizens own. So the term "assault rifle" is loosely used to strike fear into the hearts of people, just like for the same reasons the Nazis used it. We will never come up with any solutions when the media and their allies are being dishonest and are fear mongering to try and impose their will on us. They are trying to link good people with guns to mass murderers. This is the logic racists use. If we want to come up with solutions we must stop the finger pointing and work together. Gun owners are not enemy.

Ok it seems the name 'assault rifle' is confusing the issue and the technicalities of that are bogging us down.....let's call it something new, like what it really is, such as an "automatic rapid repeat death stick" to coin a new name. Seems to fit the bill. Now let me ask WHY any regular Joe or June has ANY NEED whatsoever for such a weapon? Don't say self-defence, there are many other guns that fit that bill.

Is it some kind of macho thing? Trying to portray a "bad boy/girl" image? A bully tactic? A weak person trying to show "who is boss"? A power trip? All of the above would seem to fit.
There have been lots of bla-bla "because I can", "because it's my right", "why shouldn't regular peeps have them?" type reasons.... but no NEED for one has been given so far other than maybe psychological that I can come up with so please feel free to enlighten me on the merits/worth/useage - this is a serious question.
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

well DLE....I think that's how I read it.I agree with Mark 5.
The term "assault" is very much a trigger word used by the MSM(main stream media) to scare the uninformed,meaning you,into believing a certain "thing' is evil and should be banned or otherwise wiped out of existence.
The AR15 is only the latest incarnation of a mechanical device that has been in existence for over 100 years.Nothing new !
Only the appearance has changed.That's it ! So why not take advantage of all the research and technology brought to us via our military in the form of a civilian version of the M16 and M4.We paid for it through our taxes.It's rugged,light,easy to shoot,accurate and cheap to shoot with military surplus ammo.My daughters have shot the AR15 and do so very well.
In Canada the AR15 is restricted because of it's looks only which makes no sense whatsoever as other semi autos using the same ammunition don't have any restrictions at all.It's the minimum caliber allowed for hunting deer sized game so is not what I would consider a "high powered" rifle as the "msm" would have you believe.In the U.S. it is used mostly for varmint control on coyote and hog sized game.Also very popular for competition but also for casual target practice at local gun clubs and recreation facilities.The AR15 is also very popular as a handy,light,durable and reliable rifle for the farm or ranch.Some owners of the AR15 just like it because of the military heritage.No big deal to my mind......just another semi auto rifle.
Oh,by the way,that's SEMI-AUTO as in one pull of the trigger,one bullet fired,just in case you've been in a closet for the last 100 years !
Also,if you think for a second that I'm not sensitive to hearing about some moron going on a shooting spree using "any" firearm you better get back in the closet.Just get it straight.....don't blame the gun,blame the psycho behind it !
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LOL - it doesn't matter if Walmart down the street is selling the same gun.

The Sheriff's job is to take guns that are used for criminal activity off the street - not put them back on to the street.

You want a gun - go to the appropriate venue to purchase one :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Mark5 wrote:Once again the media and the anti-gun crowd is being somewhat dishonest. No military in the world uses a strictly semi-automatic rifle as a main battle rifle. The term "assault rifle" was a propaganda term that Hitler came up with with for their Sturmgewehr rifle that translates to "storm " rifle or "Assault" rifle. So here we have the modern media and their friends using Nazi propaganda to further their agenda. Figures. Modern military battle rifles have selective fire including fully automatic. They also have support systems to supply them with plenty of ammunition. They also use heavy machine guns and grenades etc. something no citizens own. So the term "assault rifle" is loosely used to strike fear into the hearts of people, just like for the same reasons the Nazis used it. We will never come up with any solutions when the media and their allies are being dishonest and are fear mongering to try and impose their will on us. They are trying to link good people with guns to mass murderers. This is the logic racists use. If we want to come up with solutions we must stop the finger pointing and work together. Gun owners are not enemy.

If you think the nazis,were bad because they came up with a,name for a gun you really need to do some research
Ask some jews would be starting point .

The avg person doesnt need a.Ar type weapon . or any other that mimics a assualt type guns .

There is,reasons,why the type of mass shootings happen in the usa, hint it is not because they like gumbo or deep fried pickles
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Dizzy1 wrote:LOL - it doesn't matter if Walmart down the street is selling the same gun.

The Sheriff's job is to take guns that are used for criminal activity off the street - not put them back on to the street.

You want a gun - go to the appropriate venue to purchase one :up:

They still have to do the paperwork. If I decided to sell my pistol to my neighbor the 6 pages of paperwork have to be done and then taken to the police to run background checks on the buyer. I think buying directly from the police would make that even faster. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ferri wrote:

They still have to do the paperwork. If I decided to sell my pistol to my neighbor the 6 pages of paperwork have to be done and then taken to the police to run background checks on the buyer. I think buying directly from the police would make that even faster. :D

Even better. One of the whole reasons for a long background check is to have a cooling off period before you put your hands on a weapon. Maybe the Sheriff's are gonna sell slurpee's and some beef jerky with that too :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “World”