Mind your own goose droppings sjw

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Mind your own goose droppings sjw

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote: He said leaving the heads behind wards off other geese who might be planning on stopping by the field.

Hmmmmm,

:biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Ha, I said Godfather pages ago. Now we can say " beating a dead Goose" switching up the old horse line keeping things fresh.
Not a vegan
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

playhard2010 wrote:
techrtr wrote:Disgusting story. What a rednecked community we live in.

Ignorant comment. Redneck refers to farmers fyi, the Okanagan is based on agriculture, dont like it then leave

That's a mature response.

I have to wonder about the intelligence of allowing someone who can treat an animal like that to possess a firearm but that's beside the point. If someone was caught on video doing something like this at a poultry processing plant, I bet there would be hell to pay and an investigation. If some kid with a crossbow or 22 did this for fun, the police would be on it and it would be front page news.

For some reason though, if a "farmer" does it, it's okay. I wonder how many were still alive when this yahoo was pulling their heads off.

I still stand by my comment that it's disgusting, and we live in a ticky tacky rednecked town.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

no one makes you live in this ticky tacky town and should the the farmer not be allowed to protect his lively hood seems somewhat of an ignorant attitude on your part just because you don't agree doesn't mean its wrong
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

LTD wrote:no one makes you live in this ticky tacky town and should the the farmer not be allowed to protect his lively hood seems somewhat of an ignorant attitude on your part just because you don't agree doesn't mean its wrong

So, how are the geese threatening this "farmer's" livelihood? This a barbaric act and there's no justification for treating any animal like this.

Why is this "threatening their livelihood" always used as an excuse for things? There are lots of things that threaten my livelihood everyday but I don't cry about it or demand special rights. It's a stupid argument.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

8. Agricultural Conflicts
Not all conflicts with geese are related to temperate-breeding Canada Geese. As often as not, it is large migrating flocks of northern-breeding geese that cause damage to crops. A flock of geese can destroy newly planted pasture or cash crops in a short time if allowed to graze without interference. Geese can be discouraged by using the scare tactics listed in section 7.1.3.1. You must obtain a permit if you wish to use the scaring techniques outlined in section 7.1.3.2.

If scaring geese is not effective in preventing the geese from causing serious damage to an agricultural property, a kill permit may be issued. The intent of kill permits issued to farmers is to allow a limited number of birds to be killed to reinforce scaring. During hunting seasons, farmers experiencing persistent problems with Canada Geese should consider encouraging hunting of geese on their property. It is recommended to contact local hunting clubs if farmers do not know of hunters interested in hunting there. Note that this may occur only if the farm is located in an area where discharge of firearms is allowed or where a municipal permit has been acquired.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... ter-4.html
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

9. Summary
Implementation of an effective goose management program involves cooperation between land managers and wildlife agencies. Public education outlining the problems associated with too many geese is a vital component of any such program. Any program to stabilize and/or reduce numbers of geese should include efforts to reduce recruitment (by preventing nesting or hatching), increase mortality, increase emigration and alter habitats. These may be accomplished through preventing feeding, scaring, egg destruction/sterilization, modification of hunting seasons and liberalization of bag limits, relaxation of restrictions on discharging firearms, and habitat modification through appropriate land management practices. The control of Canada Goose populations is a long-term undertaking that requires a persistent cooperative effort on the part of all concerned if it is to be effective.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... ter-4.html
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

They may be lovely to look at. But Canada geese are considered pests, walking feces factories that take over parks and ponds, leaving a slick of guano in their wake.

A new study suggests the problem may be more than cosmetic. Canada geese can pick up and shed antibiotic-resistant pathogens, potentially making them an effective winged delivery network for so-called superbugs.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Hate to break it to some of you but Okanagan farmers (or their agents) have been shooting pests that damage their crops for generations. Nothing new here except some yuppie witnessed it and had a cow.

Part of visiting my grandparents farm as a kid was to grab the air rifle and wander the property for a couple of hours gunning for starlings. When it's not birds, it's moles/mice.

For those of you with a better way: Let's hear it. Egg addling is only an option for few weeks a year and is a way to control general population, not to protect a specific property/crop. Dogs are a temporary solution (geese come back) and these are farmers not animal trainers - I really don't see dogs as a viable solution.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

TylerM4 wrote:Hate to break it to some of you but Okanagan farmers (or their agents) have been shooting pests that damage their crops for generations. Nothing new here except some yuppie witnessed it and had a cow.

what they kill animals. Nooooooo! I don't think she was a yuppie. some people are really compassionate about animals. It's not something they want to see.
Darn her for having feelings.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

so now we need 8 foot wood fences around farms to protect people from farming in progress
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

LTD wrote:so now we need 8 foot wood fences around farms to protect people from farming in progress

now you're just being silly.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

If she was truly as close to the action as she makes herself out to be the guy doing the culling could have a)waited until she was further away or b)just said to her that there was about to be guns firing and animals being shot. This truly is the downside of agriculture and residences being too close to each other. We all have to eat, and that food, whether it be animal, vegetable, or mineral, has to come from somewhere, and it will displace wildlife OR bring in nuisance wildlife which doesn't really belong in this ecosystem anyway.
Is it news? Not really. This lady would have been better off to write a letter to the farm asking that they train their permitted hunters to exercise a little more discretion.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Don’t worry....it will all be better soon. I noticed that many of the geese in my neighbourhood were sporting red and white plates. I heard that Ms. Nutley will be asking them to stay home - over the Rockies - when she discovers that Horgan is a Weaver!
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

We use to have issue's I remember when I was growing up with the raven's flying into the turkey and chicken pens. They would eat their food and if there were chicks they would attack and kill them. Once a week we would shoot a couple of the Ravens and hang them over the pens and that instantly solved the problem. Scarecrows never worked as the birds are pretty smart, smart enough to realize that one of their unkindness was killed for going in there.

Return to “Central Okanagan”