Christians close church

Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Christians close church

Post by Bigjohn69 »

The leaders of the major Christian sects in Jerusalem closed the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, built on the traditional site of Jesus‘ crucifixion and resurrection, for several hours on Sunday to protest an Israeli plan to tax their properties.

The Christian leaders responsible for the site issued a joint statement bemoaning what they called a “systematic campaign of abuse” against them, comparing it to anti-Jewish laws issued in Nazi Germany.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4046750/jeru ... x-protest/
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Christians close church

Post by Bsuds »

Churches should pay tax just like the rest of us.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Bsuds wrote:Churches should pay tax just like the rest of us.

Is that what the gop and cpc will run on as a issue ?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Be pretty tough for the CPC or the GOP to run on that. Seeing as religious people make up the base of those 0
Parties. Bsuds is absolutely correct they ought to pay some taxes. Its not like 100 years ago when they were providing hospitals and schooling for the masses
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I remember reading an article a long time ago (so it might have changed) but in the US if Churches paid tax on just their property and business holdings it would more than cover all the personal income taxes paid in the US.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Bsuds wrote:I remember reading an article a long time ago (so it might have changed) but in the US if Churches paid tax on just their property and business holdings it would more than cover all the personal income taxes paid in the US.

I think they should but good luck getting any leader in north america to put it into law
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:I remember reading an article a long time ago (so it might have changed) but in the US if Churches paid tax on just their property and business holdings it would more than cover all the personal income taxes paid in the US.

I've also read that the net benefit would be negative in the long run because the money first goes to keeping the doors of the building open, and then what's left goes into feeding the poor, etc. If they pay tax, the money comes out of soup kitchen work, not out of building maintenance, paying minister, etc. This makes your tax dollars go up because it then becomes the problem of the state to make up the difference. You might think that those extra property taxes will make up the difference, but the problem becomes that having the government running stuff makes it far less efficient.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Glacier wrote: If they pay tax, the money comes out of soup kitchen work, not out of building maintenance, paying minister, etc. This makes your tax dollars go up because it then becomes the problem of the state to make up the difference. You might think that those extra property taxes will make up the difference, but the problem becomes that having the government running stuff makes it far less efficient.

Interesting point. Leaving the care of the disenfranchised and downtrodden up to the government would be a disaster. I know, I know - why don't they all just get jobs. Sad thing is, just blaming people for their circs has never solved anything.

Return to “World”