Close highways sooner??

Home of the traffic rant.
djbarnes

Close highways sooner??

Post by djbarnes »

These highways are the life lines of our province. Get the proper equipment and manpower out to properly maintain these highways. Look at the cost to our economy every time a road is closed under normal circumstances, now you want to close the road when someone feels it is unsafe. Maintain, maintain, maintain, you don,t have to be too smart to figure that out!!!!
Chevbert
Fledgling

Re: Close highways sooner??

Post by Chevbert »

More like learn how to drive, it's just a road, put some proper tires on and adjust to conditions
iamnos

Post by iamnos »

The big accident the other day couldn't have been prevented by better equipment.

As described by a witness, the drivers were coming up over the peak of a hill to fast to stop before plowing into the accident scene. You can sand and plow all you want during a snowstorm, if people are driving too fast for the road conditions, accidents are going to happen.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yes they will happen but they happen a lot more when the contractor doesn't put sand and salt on the roads which one of the truck drivers also stated this reduction in maintenance has been occurring slowly over the years most likely in the hope that no one will notice
bar54

Post by bar54 »

I don't think there is enough maintenance this winter. I live in the Shuswap and we have had times where the main roads are not plowed, including the Trans Canada Highway. There is way too much traffic on the TCH to not be plowing. Eventually the roads get plowed, but seems to take longer than usual rather than being on top of it as the snow is falling. I wonder if the word from above was to reduce maintenance? I plan to contact our contractor and our MLA in an attempt to find out. More of us need to complain if we want to see changes.

We just drove the Coq to Vancouver and back and did not have any problems, however we wonder if we will make it through because of potential closures. Most people were driving responsibly, however some were driving way too fast for conditions. Perhaps the variable speed limit needs to be implemented throughout the Coq and Connector.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

I wonder if there is any way to compare the number of accidents, quality of highway maintenance and of number of people driving on the Coq when they had the tolls vs now? From what I have heard things have changed significantly since then.

Yes some people are traveling way too fast. But I have also noticed that many of the local highways seem to take longer to get plowed, and are definitely not properly sanded/salted compared to 10 - 15 years ago.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

RustyCrayon wrote:I wonder if there is any way to compare the number of accidents, quality of highway maintenance and of number of people driving on the Coq when they had the tolls vs now? From what I have heard things have changed significantly since then.

Yes some people are traveling way too fast. But I have also noticed that many of the local highways seem to take longer to get plowed, and are definitely not properly sanded/salted compared to 10 - 15 years ago.

a study would be interesting

part of the problem is our fixed price bidding system. That is weather dependent and should be a cost plus bid
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

Excuses, excuses, I am tired of hearing excuses. We have seen the results now let us get to the solutions. So they say almost all of the incidents are caused by drivers not driving to conditions well let us change the conditions and the problem is now solved, boy that was easy no more incidents wow. We do not need any more studies as the results of these incidents tells us we have a problem. So my stupid answer would be lower the speed limit in severe weather and raise it back when the conditions allow. Second stupid idea is skip sand the evil spots and either convoy the semis with pilot vehicles at a slower speed so they do not blow the salt and sand off. Put warning signs up to state that going over the new lower posted speed will result in a serious fine to be paid like the USA did to me 50 years ago. You pay the Police at the time or go to jail. Get the people that are not involved in the incidents off of the freezing darn highway right away by building more turnarounds and places where the dividers can be removed. Put lots of pickups, with snow blades behind the big plows for final cleaning in severe conditions and they can also be used for pilots of the semis after that by separating them from the cars and busses by quick removal and a secure lockup of the blades. These stupid ideas will work if done now, or yesterday and not by ten years of studies. Now let us hear of the next problem to be solved. P.S. there is no fee for these stupid ideas so there is no taxpayer monies involved and it is cheaper. When I was a young lad many, many years ago I watched the choo choo trains turn on their sand on the grade and the sparks would fly as the steel wheels got grip and on they went. An idea for an inventor would be to invent a system for our semis to not use sand but environmental anti freeze to trickle down in front of their driving wheels to give traction on the unexpected zones. Hey drivers get your bosses to lookie at it or do it yourselves.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

I forgot to mention that kitty cat litter would also work for those semi drivers to put a reservoir in front of their drive bogies to trickle down in emergency situations when the start to spin out on the grade. Mix a little salt with it if needed. All of the semis should use this if they are not chained up. You do not get out of the truck when doing this or they will have to hire more drivers. Please someone make a million and help our Truckers. Welcome to 2018 and beyond.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its been done and is a bad idea for a variety of reasons
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

There's is a reason semis have chains.

Any driver caught in situations like Sunday's that does not have chains on should be heavily fined and his license pulled for 6 months.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

So they fine the trucker and take his, or her license away. So that stops the carnage, incidents, closures, injuries, deaths and highway shutdowns. So fine them 200 dollars and take away their licence [if they have one ] and all will be happy time. How do we tell the hundred and sixty people involved in the last little fender bender that the driver has been punished as they recover in the Hospital, at home or worse in the cemetery if the incident involved a fire. what if the driver is dead and they will never drive again and will not pay that fine?. We have another one now just North of Merritt this morning and more fines and license suspensions?. Has anyone noticed that this is not working? What will work is fix the real problem whatever that is. Can no one see what is going on and will continue until it is solved and fines or other minor excuses will not cure this Cancer. Why do we delay the cure?. Crash numbers, weather, drivers, no chains, hills, ice, snow, sleet, hail, speed, curves, darkness, winter, slush, excuses, reasons, and on and on. Just simply fix this minor problem before it gets serious. Oh wait a minute, or two it is very serious right now and will forever this way until it is recognised as such. Where are the experts in this dire situation on holidays?.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

I'm thinking more like a $2000 fine.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'm thinking some people are just daft and should just not go out !

I'll say it again..Ban passenger vehicles from the big road and
the vast amounts of incidents will be greatly reduced.
If your not hauling goods, you don't belong.

And all the bubble-wrapped entitled ones can just go to their
keyboards and have all their consumables delivered so they can stay
safely at home and attempt to not slip in the shower or cut themselves
chopping broccoli.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

iamnos wrote:The big accident the other day couldn't have been prevented by better equipment.

As described by a witness, the drivers were coming up over the peak of a hill to fast to stop before plowing into the accident scene. You can sand and plow all you want during a snowstorm, if people are driving too fast for the road conditions, accidents are going to happen.

Couldnt have been prevented??? I think you answered your own question. People driving to fast for the road conditions.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”