Collisions continue

cgmurphy

Collisions continue

Post by cgmurphy »

The media seems to be blaming all the collisions on the bad roads due to snowfall.
With many being at intersections, I think the main concern should be turning on yellow/red lights which I see everyday I travel the roads in Kelowna. Drivers need to have more caution at intersections, slow down for conditions and be aware.
Drive safe out there! It affects everyone.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Collisions continue

Post by Jflem1983 »

Welcome to the forum. Great post.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

We have winter driving conditions every year but we also have a bunch of people who don't know how to drive according to the road conditions.
In other words people need to slow down and stop being in such a hurry when they know darn well that the snow melt from the day before freezes over night!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Snarf wrote:We have winter driving conditions every year but we also have a bunch of people who don't know how to drive according to the road conditions.
In other words people need to slow down and stop being in such a hurry when they know darn well that the snow melt from the day before freezes over night!

If they are caught driving (way) too fast for the conditions it should be considered dangerous driving and charged accordingly.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:If they are caught driving (way) too fast for the conditions it should be considered dangerous driving and charged accordingly.

Who decides what is "too fast" for conditions? You? Me? The cops? What would be a reasonable speed for winter conditions? 50kmh? 30kmh? 10kmh? What happens if I'm driving a reasonable speed and still get into an accident? Am I then still driving too fast for conditions?

One could set up more variable speed limits, that may reduce accidents. But other than that, driving to conditions is subjective. Driver A might not be as skilled or confident as Driver B, Driver A's tires may not be as good as Driver B's. So if Driver B flies past Driver A, is Driver B still driving to conditions even though he's going twice as fast as Driver A? If a cop saw that, or one of these silly new self appointed internet traffic expert vigilantes, can the slap their hand and charge them for driving "too fast for conditions".
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:If they are caught driving (way) too fast for the conditions it should be considered dangerous driving and charged accordingly.

Who decides what is "too fast" for conditions? You? Me? The cops? What would be a reasonable speed for winter conditions? 50kmh? 30kmh? 10kmh? What happens if I'm driving a reasonable speed and still get into an accident? Am I then still driving too fast for conditions?

One could set up more variable speed limits, that may reduce accidents. But other than that, driving to conditions is subjective. Driver A might not be as skilled or confident as Driver B, Driver A's tires may not be as good as Driver B's. So if Driver B flies past Driver A, is Driver B still driving to conditions even though he's going twice as fast as Driver A? If a cop saw that, or one of these silly new self appointed internet traffic expert vigilantes, can the slap their hand and charge them for driving "too fast for conditions".

If you get into an accident where you hit someone and the police become involved.........you were going to fast. For this, you will be given a ticket.
Bring back the LIKE button.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Dizzy1 wrote:

On top of that everyone who comments on these accidents always seem to think they are the epitome of a great driver. Thanks for your "slow down" comments. The sun also sets in the west.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

There is a bad accident almost every day I read the West Kelowna news. Not just in the winter.
I wonder if they are all being balamed on road conditions.

I spend 2 months in Yellowknife every winter, where the conditions get UGLY Fast.
I have only seen a few trucks in the ditch here.
People actually learn to drive here or stay at home when it gets that bad.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

stuphoto wrote:There is a bad accident almost every day I read the West Kelowna news. Not just in the winter.
I wonder if they are all being balamed on road conditions.

Road design and even summer maintenance is defiantly a factor.

- Lights that aren't timed in any logical fashion promotes frustration which leads drivers to do stupid things like run red lights (and honestly, the way Kelowna has their lights set up, I don't blame the drivers).

- Road markings that last 3 days before they're nearly invisible again (oops, I forgot - the self proclaimed Castanet driving Gods don't need road markings because they're God's behind the wheel).

- Poor drainage on highways, water pools in dips when going around corners on highways.

- Cheaply paved roads, that form tire grooves within weeks of being repaved causing loss of vehicle stability as vehicles drive through them as well as pooling water.

Accidents are almost always a combination of factors - its not always just the driver, weather, road, vehicle conditions also play roles in preventing accidents.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Kelowna is rife with bad drivers PERIOD...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

MAPearce wrote:Kelowna is rife with bad drivers PERIOD...

And old people that love to hypocritically complain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”