New Local Shopping Centre

ktowner
Fledgling

New Local Shopping Centre

Post by ktowner »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ing-centre

Im all for a development for a new shopping centre in Kelowna, but to add this to one of the most chatic intersections in the city sounds like a nightmare. I still believe this intersection requires an overpass and not just an extra lane, then throw this into the mix and it sounds like we better start planning the next intersection upgrade.
featfan
Guru

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Post by featfan »

I would like to see the sliver of ALR that they would like to get rezoned.
If it is the remainder of lot 11 and 12 that is a big chunk of land on the east side of Rutland road.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

featfan wrote:I would like to see the sliver of ALR that they would like to get rezoned.
If it is the remainder of lot 11 and 12 that is a big chunk of land on the east side of Rutland road.

I don't think it is
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

I tried looking on COK maps and could`nt find a yes or no.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What good is a small piece of infertile non productive, and not viable as use for agriculture?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's most likely the piece behind the properties up to the new Rutland Rd. which would be the West side.

ktowner have you even been out there lately? The intersection I think you are talking about is no longer and there is a new roundabout to the East where the new Rutland Rd ends.

I worked in that area for many years and think this would be a good thing.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

alanjh595 wrote:What good is a small piece of infertile non productive, and not viable as use for agriculture?

it would make a nice park or community garden though.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

featfan wrote:I would like to see the sliver of ALR that they would like to get rezoned.

http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?s ... 3339106301

Zoom in on what you want to look at
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:What good is a small piece of infertile non productive, and not viable as use for agriculture?
featfan wrote:it would make a nice park or community garden though.

Don't see much use for that in an industrial area.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?s ... 3339106301

Zoom in on what you want to look at

Yes thanks, BUT lot 11 and 12 are part of the land consolidation across the road.
That is why they are called remainders.

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/02/27/new ... ng-centre/
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

featfan wrote:

it would make a nice park or community garden though.

That would require taxpayer's support and municipal support. Aren't our funds stretched far enough? The community gardens that are already here are falling into disrepair and the one I walked by in November was wreaking of rotting left-over good intentions.
Who would ever want to start a community garden next to a highway that was constantly spraying it with pollution? Ever eaten a carrot that tasted like diesel?
As for a park......who would go there and sit between 2 major roadways to enjoy nature and a little peace and quiet? Where are you going to park? Who would risk their safety by sitting in an area that a major accident could happen at any moment?
Sorry, bad idea. Good try though.
At least a new commercial development would generate tax income, this is a no brainer.
Bring back the LIKE button.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Sorry, bad idea. Good try though.
I agree with you Alan.

But if it is the land in question you get cheap ALR rezoned and now put building d and e in there and BINGO
huge money.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Before that, however, council has to approve a “minor OCP amendment” to remove a “sliver” of the of property from its current agriculture designation.

Lol - given recent events - this I'm sure is a slam dunk but a very minor technicality. Big questions should be raised if it isn't. Meanwhile, other single parcel ALR properties, surrounded by development in other parts of Kelowna that have been trying for years to have them removed continue to be stonewalled.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

WalterWhite wrote:Lol - given recent events - this I'm sure is a slam dunk but a very minor technicality. Big questions should be raised if it isn't. Meanwhile, other single parcel ALR properties, surrounded by development in other parts of Kelowna that have been trying for years to have them removed continue to be stonewalled.

Maybe the owners didn't make the correct "campaign contributions"?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

this was probably a done deal at the same time the land was purchased to realign rutland road

Return to “Central Okanagan”