Lord of the Board

2018 Budget

Post by gman313 »

disappointed we can't balance the books. sad
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 2018 Budget

Post by CapitalB »

Neither can our neighbor but they seem to be doing ok. Which raises the question, if the most powerful/successful countries on the planet have runaway out of control national debt, does a balanced budget really matter?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wondering what interest payments are on a debt of 651 billion, most likely a huge chunk out of the revenue being collected.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

The NDP campaigned in 2015 on balancing the budget. The Conservatives campaigned in 2015 on balancing the budget. The Liberals campaigned on running deficits and growing the economy.

FAST FORWARD TO 2018:

Fastest-growing economy in G-7!
Lowest unemployment in decades!
Best tourism year EVER!
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

GordonH wrote:Wondering what interest payments are on a debt of 651 billion, most likely a huge chunk out of the revenue being collected.

No worries when they finish ripping the carbon tax money from us they will have lots of money
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Andrew Coyne: The Liberals deliver a federal budget that has nothing to do with budgeting, or the economy

This is a budget that is much more about equality than it is growth. That, and pandering to every conceivable Liberal client group and policy cult

Once upon a time the federal budget was about the budget of the federal government. It was an annual opportunity for Parliament and the public to examine the federal government’s program of expenses and revenues for the coming fiscal year.

As time went on, it became more and more about economic growth, and the ways in which government is supposed to influence it. To the language of accounting, then, was added the language of economics.

All that is now in the past. With this installment the federal budget has reached the final stage of transformation. It is now about virtually everything else except spending or taxing or the economy. Economic analysis, in particular, is not only noticeably absent but in places explicitly abolished. What is more, it proposes to make this approach permanent.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

gman313 wrote:disappointed we can't balance the books. sad

You must be a Liberal Supporter, anyone who thought for a moment that Trudeau could balance anything is somewhat foolish.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:Neither can our neighbor but they seem to be doing ok. Which raises the question, if the most powerful/successful countries on the planet have runaway out of control national debt, does a balanced budget really matter?

It shouldn't, when you have countries like the USA, just printing more money whenever they need it.

I mean they owe the Chinese so much money, I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed China West yet. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:It shouldn't, when you have countries like the USA, just printing more money whenever they need it.

I mean they owe the Chinese so much money, I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed China West yet. :biggrin:

Which I find extra funny considering that china finances most of their own debt through state owned banks and then kind of launders it out of existence over decades. As shady as it sounds it seems to be working out for them pretty well. Between their debt and the other countries debt they own they've managed to make some kind of debt economy.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Legalizing pot has probably been his secret weapon to dig them out of the deficit hole all along.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

lensbaby wrote:Legalizing pot has probably been his secret weapon to dig them out of the deficit hole all along.

I can't wait for that to finally happen. Mostly just so I don't have to see the city and provincial reps whinging about how hard and expensive it is / is going to be to legalize. I'm pretty confident in my belief that piles of money will soon shut them right up.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

CapitalB wrote: I can't wait for that to finally happen.

Once it gets past that group of Conservative Senate members practicing their mantra of "if it's broke don't fix it"
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Ken7 wrote:
gman313 wrote:disappointed we can't balance the books. sad

You must be a Liberal Supporter, anyone who thought for a moment that Trudeau could balance anything is somewhat foolish.

I'll bet he could balance a beach ball on his nose, he is a trained seal after all.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

But is he a competent seal.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lensbaby wrote:Legalizing pot has probably been his secret weapon to dig them out of the deficit hole all along.

If you think that will work..not a chance!

Return to “Canada”