New City Manager

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

New City Manager

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ty-manager

I wonder if interim city manager Joe Creron is in consideration for this spot. Maybe he doesn't want it/declined. On the one hand, promoting from within would see some consistency in transition and familiarity with the day to day ops as well as general local knowledge, however there's no shortage of desire to see some fresh thinking get injected into city hall. It's not like the current council takes much advice from them anyway. Interested to know what the remuneration is for the replacement when found. One would hope the current salary is based on Mattiussi's seniority in the position, and is not the base for a newcomer.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: New City Manager

Post by the truth »

hope the new city manager is better than the last useless one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

Matussi, don't let the door hit ya in the A$$ on the way out. It couldn't happen toooo soon.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/219967/Wanted-One-city-manager

I wonder if interim city manager Joe Creron is in consideration for this spot. Maybe he doesn't want it/declined. On the one hand, promoting from within would see some consistency in transition and familiarity with the day to day ops as well as general local knowledge, however there's no shortage of desire to see some fresh thinking get injected into city hall. It's not like the current council takes much advice from them anyway. Interested to know what the remuneration is for the replacement when found. One would hope the current salary is based on Mattiussi's seniority in the position, and is not the base for a newcomer.

Who's going to say no to $250k per year?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So are those of you who criticize going to apply?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

He did a great job!

that job is not for everyone though. you report to council and have to deal with all the public BS. i'd prefer to be one level away from that personally

people are dumb
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Anonymous123 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/219967/Wanted-One-city-manager

Who's going to say no to $250k per year?

That's what I'm wondering - is that the base salary? If so, I would agree - there should be a long line up at the applications desk.

The job posting:
https://careeropportunities.kelowna.ca/postings/4057

Does not indicate what the base salary is however, other than to say:

A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I know Joe Creron from years past and I think he would be a good consideration but Joe may be looking at retirement so hard to say.

I think the base for Ron was higher than 250. I saw it somewhere and remember thinking "wow".

Overall, I think he did a good job.

Truth doesn't like anybody so you have to take his endoresemnt with a grain of buck shot.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bsuds wrote:So are those of you who criticize going to apply?

Lol - I foresee a lot of this sort of reaction to your question:

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

From the article on Castanet.

Mattiussi is the highest paid employee within city hall, taking in $268,000 in 2016, the last year figures are available.

The Prime Minister of Canada makes $167,400 as a member of parliament plus an extra $167,400 for being PM for a total of $334,800. A mere $66,800 more than the Kelowna City Manager.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

According to this story from last June:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... enefits-up

Ron Mattiussi was paid $268,301 in 2016, apparently down almost $20,000 from his 2015 pay.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

All the couch city planners should be applying. After all, they all know EVERYTHING about running the city, should be shoe-ins.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

safe bet they already know who is getting the job next,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

This is a great chance for all those who have criticized him on these forums for making the salary he did to offer up their services on the cheap. I'm sure many of you fit the bill:

• University degree with courses in an appropriate discipline;
• Extensive experience of more than ten years at an executive level, preferably in the public sector;
• Sound knowledge of the Community Charter and Local Government Act;
• Strong leadership and strategic planning skills;
• Demonstrated business and political acumen, as well as influencing and motivational skills;
• Extensive experience mediating and resolving conflicts and negotiating complex matters;
• Strong written and oral communication skills; and
• Commitment to lifelong learning and knowledge development.

The ideal City Manager should be a refined leader who is well-experienced with the nuances and complexities of local government. Possessing an inclusive and collaborative leadership style, they will engage with both staff and Council by creating a collaborative team environment, leveraging the considerable expertise and strength that exists within the organization. The City Manager will demonstrate a proven track record as a team-builder, mentor, succession planner, and developer of talent. They should be decisive, possessing sufficient business acumen and political savvy to assist Mayor and Council with complex decisions and guide city staff through innovative and challenging initiatives. They should demonstrate a nuanced understanding of sustainability and environmental stewardship, community health, and quality of life for all Kelowna residents.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

nothing the last guy was [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Central Okanagan”