Okotoks landowner charged with shooting

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Okotoks landowner charged with shooting

Post by Sparki55 »

Bigjohn69 wrote:You cant go around shooting folks in Canada,. In florida,you can if you think someone sneezed at you . We do not want to go down that road .

Drug issues and shooting issues are two seperate issues .

If you think it is something to get elected on then see if you can get andy to run on shooting for any reason and watch jt. Rule for next 20 years .

Police did the job as our charter says for them to do . There is no debate. Now a judge or jury will choose what. Follows. As it should be

Have you personally been in a situation where you felt threatened and there wasn't a police officer closer than 30 min away? I'd like to see how your storey would play out if a guy with a knife (the criminal in the storey had a gun) entered your home, think you would call the cops and wait and see what happens. The criminal could stab you and walk out with your stuff before the cops get there.

This rancher would not have actively hunted these guys down had he not been home at the time, then it would be with the police to figure out. What changes is that this guy was home and dealt with a threat on his property.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

BS buddy. This guy wasn't out actively hunting humans. He had a stranger on his property touching his stuff and took action. Know what isn't covered easily by insurance? Lost opportunity on your farm with all the equipment that was stolen.

Does not matter . If you fire a gun at someone in canada, there will be reaction you might not like but it will then be up to judge or jury to sort it out . It is part of the reason canada is not suffering the gunplay the usa,has on a daily .we wwnt to keep it that way .

Stuff can be replaced human.life not so much
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Support rural peoples rights to defend their land. Support stand your ground laws. Dont steal u wont get shot
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bigjohn69 wrote:

That's the theme of my posts; my family cannot be replaced. Lots of crimes end up with people being stabbed or beaten to stop them from calling the police. Unless you have a place to hid while to robbery is taking place you need to use force to protect your person especially if the thief doesn't immediately leave after seeing you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bigjohn69 wrote:
BS buddy. This guy wasn't out actively hunting humans. He had a stranger on his property touching his stuff and took action. Know what isn't covered easily by insurance? Lost opportunity on your farm with all the equipment that was stolen.

Does not matter . If you fire a gun at someone in canada, there will be reaction you might not like but it will then be up to judge or jury to sort it out . It is part of the reason canada is not suffering the gunplay the usa,has on a daily .we wwnt to keep it that way .

correct so stay off peoples private property ,that simple
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

You are conflating two issues. Our charter does allow for self preservation .that is fine . But that is not what happened in this case .the guy admitted shooting a,thief in the act of theft not a act of life or death . The guy and his neighbour when being intervied said to bad he got shot for stealing .

And i hav not seen where the thief was charged with possesion of a,fire arm .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bigjohn69 wrote:You are conflating two issues. Our charter does allow for self preservation .that is fine . But that is not what happened in this case .the guy admitted shooting a,thief in the act of theft not a act of life or death . The guy and his neighbour when being intervied said to bad he got shot for stealing.

Would you agree that someone who is willing to steal from you in broad daylight should not expect to be physically harmed if confronted by a homeowner?

One thing you can be sure about is any thief who hears this storey will never attempt to steal from this man's property for fear of dying.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Or go back with more firepower

I agree people can and should protect themselves as in humans and pets . I also agree people should not be shooting other people that are not trying to directly harm them .

I think part of the answer is insurance covering for lost items fully. We will never stop crime with threat of deadly force . It hasnt worked in usa and it wont work here .

And i do agree drug addiction plays a part in crime and it should be part of crime reduction . Jailing addicts was a massive failure so other methods are needed .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bigjohn69 wrote:Or go back with more firepower

I agree people can and should protect themselves as in humans and pets . I also agree people should not be shooting other people that are not trying to directly harm them .

I think part of the answer is insurance covering for lost items fully. We will never stop crime with threat of deadly force . It hasnt worked in usa and it wont work here .

And i do agree drug addiction plays a part in crime and it should be part of crime reduction . Jailing addicts was a massive failure so other methods are needed .

That's not an answer to "would use use force on someone who broke into your home in broad daylight and started to steal your stuff". Even worse scenario, it appears there were 4 or 5 thieves in the video, would you have felt threatened and used force before they had the option to attack you?

I assume you are skirting around the answer because you know you would of done the same as this rancher, thinking it's you vs these guys and the police are a long call away.

We will never stop crime with threat of deadly force

No, you're right, we need to rehabilitate them in jail for 3 years and then hope they don't do it again. If they do maybe we tell them that's wrong again and they go to jail again.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

I am not avoiding anything . I put in plain english what my opinion is and i also pointed out the farmer by his own admission did not feel personaly threatned and was more feeling he was being robbed .

Again our charter allows one to protect themselves if one feels or knows someone is going to harm them . It does not allow you or me to shoot thieves.

Drunk drivers kill more folks than thieves do in canada so would you support. Shooting and killing drunk drivers by canadians ?

And what country has solved petty crime ? I would be interested to read how they did it .

It boils down to a judge or jury will settle the case and that is how it works in canada . The police did what they should have .
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

It boils down to a judge or jury will settle the case and that is how it works in canada . The police did what they should have

What will happen is the farmer will not be compensated the losers will tell a story about how tuff they had it and get some minimum punishment. That is how it works and that is why people will start to protect their farms and ranches. Go ask a rancher see what he tells you. Just be happy they still call the police
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

And when the jails are full of farmers who will have won ? Seems to me the problem in your eyes is not enough police to go around . Time to start paying more taxes to hire more police seems to be path forward
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bigjohn69 wrote:
And what country has solved petty crime ? I would be interested to read how they did it .

Japan has figured this out.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Bsuds wrote:If it were me I would have a few well trained guard skunks.

Sudsy...: :kiss: I just knew you would eventually appreciate many attributes of the little b/w

Coming soon, to a theatre near you: "Dark Side of Skunkdom"...are YOU protected?

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

The Japanese criminal justice system, despite retaining the death penalty, is relatively lenient in sentencing by the standard of the United States. Outside capital cases, many of those sentenced to life sentences are paroled within 15 years. Those convicted of less heinous murder and manslaughter are likely to serve less than 10 years. Those convicted of rape will often serve less than two to five years. It is even possible for someone convicted of murder to serve a suspended sentence if the defense successfully argues for mitigating circumstances. Moreover, in Japanese criminal proceedings the conviction and sentencing phase are separate. In the Japanese criminal justice system, these are distinct phases, echoing that of common law jurisdictions where sentencing is usually remitted to a later hearing after a finding of guilt. The court proceedings first determine guilt, then a second proceeding takes place to determine the sentence. Prosecutors and defense teams argue each phase. Defense lawyers, given the predictability of the outcome in term of guilt once the charge is brought, together with leniency of punishment (except in death penalty cases), often advise the accused to confess their guilt in trial. Remorse is seen as a mitigating factor which tends to bring reduced sentences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_ ... m_of_Japan

Sounds good maybe the cpc will run on making the japanese system our system

Save us some money on jailing costs since. The lengths of jail terms is shorter than ours

Return to “Canada”