New Local Shopping Centre

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Post by Grandan »

Once a piece of land is reduced in size to under 1.5 acres the ALC does not oppose removing that land from the ALR.
When land is so small that you cannot turn a tractor around on it there is a problem farming it.
Looking at the future Land Use Map and zooming in:
https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/P ... Use%20.pdf
The sliver of land in question is pretty small to be of any consequence for use as farmland.
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't to do with the "remainder" lots #11 & 12 - but with the properties on the west side of the newly aligned Rutland Rd. which will be within the overall scope of the development.

Before that, however, council has to approve a “minor OCP amendment” to remove a “sliver” of the of property from its current agriculture designation.

Right now, a trio of residential homes, a few sheds, and an unpaved gravel yard sit on the five-and-a-half acres.

One nit-pick item I find odd, is the location of the transit stop immediatley upon exiting the traffic circle onto Rutland Rd. in front of the propossed development (circled in red). Seems it would be less of an impact to following traffic and more centrally located further down (marked with red "X").

InkedScreen-Shot-2018-02-27-at-9.36.07-AM-1020x1024_LI-R.jpg
nordhausen

Post by nordhausen »

with the rise of online shopping and behemoths such as Amazon delivery services, why would anyone want to build a new shopping center? I order online more than go to any shopping center these days. Even groceries are becoming online.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

nordhausen wrote:with the rise of online shopping and behemoths such as Amazon delivery services, why would anyone want to build a new shopping center? I order online more than go to any shopping center these days. Even groceries are becoming online.

There are some things like clothing or items I need quickly that I still go to the stores for.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

nordhausen wrote:with the rise of online shopping and behemoths such as Amazon delivery services, why would anyone want to build a new shopping center? I order online more than go to any shopping center these days. Even groceries are becoming online.

It doesn't have to be shopping in a traditional view. Think places like UPS store, or butchers, or small grocery stores, pizza places, flower shops, etc. They all need to be located somewhere.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

WalterWhite wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't to do with the "remainder" lots #11 & 12 - but with the properties on the west side of the newly aligned Rutland Rd. which will be within the overall scope of the development.

Before that, however, council has to approve a “minor OCP amendment” to remove a “sliver” of the of property from its current agriculture designation.

Right now, a trio of residential homes, a few sheds, and an unpaved gravel yard sit on the five-and-a-half acres.

One nit-pick item I find odd, is the location of the transit stop immediatley upon exiting the traffic circle onto Rutland Rd. in front of the propossed development (circled in red). Seems it would be less of an impact to following traffic and more centrally located further down (marked with red "X").

Walter, it appears to me that the bus will be able to get right off the road. That coupled with the hopefully reduced speed of traffic coming out of the circle, might be safer than around the corner.
I think it's a good location for a small center, hundreds of folks working nearby, and thousands living just past there.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WalterWhite wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't to do with the "remainder" lots #11 & 12 - but with the properties on the west side of the newly aligned Rutland Rd. which will be within the overall scope of the development.

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Walter, it appears to me that the bus will be able to get right off the road. That coupled with the hopefully reduced speed of traffic coming out of the circle, might be safer than around the corner.
I think it's a good location for a small center, hundreds of folks working nearby, and thousands living just past there.

True enough it will be completely off the traffic lane, just seemed the further away from the roundabout and exit point the better as far as congestion goes. I agree, I think it makes sense as there's already a number of commercial units to the southwest, and I'm sure more amenities for UBCO dorms and Quail Ridge residents and the growing residential off Sexsmith and Old Vernon Rd. will be welcomed.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

That is all newcomers , I was thinking Ellison residents, maybe over a thousand, been there decades.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”