Jenga Tower

Frisk
Guru

Jenga Tower

Post by Frisk »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-219979-1-.htm#219979

Seems like there's a lot of new tall buildings in the works?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Jenga Tower

Post by dodgerdodge »

Probably be built and finished before Sopa Square. :biggrin:

I mean how much longer can Sopa build be for christ sake?
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

dodgerdodge wrote:Probably be built and finished before Sopa Square. :biggrin:

I mean how much longer can Sopa build be for christ sake?

I started working on that site when Pendozi machine shop and the Tastee Freeze were there.
It was so long ago my hair was still one color Brown not grey as it is now.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

"In order to make the project possible the developers are asking the city to rezone the property and dramatically increase the height allowed on it, from seven to 15 storeys."

Here we go again. Time to grease the pockets of the mayor and council once again and watch them not listen to the recommendations from the planning department. Same old song and dance.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Looks nice. Interesting design and not too big of a podium. Taller but skinnier tower should have less of a negative impact on the feel for the area.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh here we go again with the height complaints.

If allowable heights were never increased, the tallest building in Kelowna would be the Starbucks.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Even Steven wrote:Oh here we go again with the height complaints.

If allowable heights were never increased, the tallest building in Kelowna would be the Starbucks.

Oh here we go again with completely misunderstanding the issue - it's not the height - it's the request to more than double the current zoning allowance from 7 to 15 stories.

This is no longer a surprise - but the new norm - and we can owe a lot of it to several members of the current council. Sharon Simpson couldn't have spelled it out any clearer.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Well when I move here the height restriction was the Kiwanis tower, which is little taller then a Starbucks. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

WalterWhite wrote:

Oh here we go again with completely misunderstanding the issue - it's not the height - it's the request to more than double the current zoning allowance from 7 to 15 stories.

This is no longer a surprise - but the new norm - and we can owe a lot of it to several members of the current council. Sharon Simpson couldn't have spelled it out any clearer.

Looks more to me like the issue is that the zoning allowance is to low [icon_lol2.gif]
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Actually we had 6 or so in the early 60,s and a 12? Or so on Lakeshore I think 10 years later..
But I agree in light ofvthe last year, there will be many requests to go higher..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

sublime wrote:Here we go again. Time to grease the pockets of the mayor and council once again and watch them not listen to the recommendations from the planning department. Same old song and dance.

Just to be clear...you are suggesting that the Mayor and City Council will be bribed in order to make this happen?

Or does "grease the pockets" have another meaning?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Where exactly is the South Pandosy Urban Square? 15 stories is a far cry from 35 or so right on the water. It is when 15 gets approved and the developers next wish will be 20 plus. This story reads over and over again with this b%$-licking city council.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Zerograv said:

Looks more to me like the issue is that the zoning allowance is to low [icon_lol2.gif]

....but until they do change the zoning allowance through the proper channels, Council shouldn't be going rogue and allowing DOUBLE the height restriction and going against City planning. What is the point in having zoning laws? The rest of us have to abide by the zoning in our neighbourhoods no questions asked. Why should Council not follow the laws as well. If they want higher buildings then they need to change the zoning properly.

I have nothing against this "Jenga" building - I think it looks pretty cool and I also think South Pandosy would be a nice place for it. I don't live in South Pandosy area though and hopefully the people who do also like it or they are SOL if council approves it whether it's zoned for it or not.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

JayByrd wrote: Just to be clear...you are suggesting that the Mayor and City Council will be bribed in order to make this happen?

Or does "grease the pockets" have another meaning?

If you even have to ask and haven't been following all the recent developments with the city? [icon_lol2.gif]
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

sublime wrote:
If you even have to ask and haven't been following all the recent developments with the city? [icon_lol2.gif]

Maybe I haven't been.

But is that a yes or a no? If you're going to make an accusation, even about something that's apparently obvious, then make one. Don't use innuendo and then answer a question with a question.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Central Okanagan”