Fraser Institute weighs in on PR

Cactusflower
Banned

Fraser Institute weighs in on PR

Post by Cactusflower »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4555079
The most famous right-wing think tank rides again. Read the comments to find out what the majority of British Columbians think about this.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Fraser Institute weighs in on PR

Post by Urbane »

I agree with the Fraser Institute's position. The questions must be clear, the questions must not be leading ones, and there must be a clear mandate if change is to occur. Who could possibly disagree with any of that?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The PR advocates who want to jam this through so that small noisy fringes can dominate future governments don't want an informed and open process.

The Greens especially want to jut jam it through, and for cynical political purposes, not for improving our democracy. The way it has been set up now is just a Trojan horse to permanently ensconce the Greens as the "the tail that wags the dog" and steal taxpayer $$$ for them and the bankrupt BC NDP.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:Read the comments to find out what the majority of British Columbians think about this.

why would the comments section represent what the "majority" of BC'ers want? Because their confimration bias is the same as yours? Why do you always represent that the majority in BC feels the same as you, when it's obvious this is just a bald-faced lie?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Green Barbarian wrote:why would the comments section represent what the "majority" of BC'ers want? Because their confimration bias is the same as yours? Why do you always represent that the majority in BC feels the same as you, when it's obvious this is just a bald-faced lie?

I looked at the comments and many of them were about the Fraser Institute and not about PR at all. Some people believe that CBC shouldn't include anything on its website from the Fraser Institute since it's a "right-wing" organization. The FI's recommendation that the question should be clear and not leading and that the mandate should be clear isn't addressed by those who just slam the Fraser Institute.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:
I looked at the comments and many of them were about the Fraser Institute and not about PR at all. Some people believe that CBC shouldn't include anything on its website from the Fraser Institute since it's a "right-wing" organization. The FI's recommendation that the question should be clear and not leading and that the mandate should be clear isn't addressed by those who just slam the Fraser Institute.

LOL - that is hilarious that these idiots would want to censor the CBC to purge of it of anything that isn't on the left side of the spectrum. Do these bozos understand that this is a violation of basic freedoms? Everyone pays taxes (well not much from the Left, but I'm sure they pay some) and so our government broadcaster should be representing everyone's views, even if they go against what is considered "acceptable" by brainless leftist People.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-electoral-reform-referendum-1.4555079
The most famous right-wing think tank rides again. Read the comments to find out what the majority of British Columbians think about this.

That's it, your license to use the term "majority" has been forthwith revoked! :cuss:

Any future use, shall be on a probationary level, accompanied by verifiable supporting documentation, to prove it's acceptable usage, as well as a demonstration of English language cognitive ability.

:topic:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Old Techie wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-electoral-reform-referendum-1.4555079

That's it, your license to use the term "majority" has been forthwith revoked! :cuss:

Any future use, shall be on a probationary level, accompanied by verifiable supporting documentation, to prove it's acceptable usage, as well as a demonstration of English language cognitive ability.

:topic:

:spitcoffee: :laugh: :up: :hailjo: :smt045
Bring back the LIKE button.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I did the actual Provincial survey and linked to the definitions of different PR scenarios. I will guarantee that 99.5% of eligible voters would be absolutely baffled as to what they mean or what the outcome of an election under any of the 5 options were to be chosen. First past the post has it's flaws to be certain, but for cripes sake, we are not electing a dictatorship forever....we are giving a four year mandate to produce, or get booted out for lack of accomplishment. I prefer giving a party 4 yrs of complete control rather than to perpetual argument and watering down of any bold move to enact policy just so it passes muster with a group so diametrically opposed that gets no change at all.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

99.5% of eligible voters are not as stupid as you believe them to be.

Just because you find it hard to understand something doesn’t mean everyone else is the same.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Interesting that the Fraser Institute and NDP heavyweight Bill Tieleman are both critical of the process that the government is following and critical of PR itself. The government is walking a fine line because if the public senses that the fix is in then even some people who might be willing to support PR will vote against it.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

The comments are almost always the best part. My favorite suggestion for a referendum question came from “Robert Borden” and went something like:

Whether you like it or not, we, your overlords are eliminating the FPTP system of voting. We are giving you this one-time opportunity to submit your opinion on our preselected alternatives. They are all good, or we wouldn’t have let you see them. Pick one! Snooze you lose - it’s as simple as that. :-X

The scary part is that he was probably being serious.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

d0nb wrote:

The comments are almost always the best part. My favorite suggestion for a referendum question came from “Robert Borden” and went something like:

Whether you like it or not, we, your overlords are eliminating the FPTP system of voting. We are giving you this one-time opportunity to submit your opinion on our preselected alternatives. They are all good, or we wouldn’t have let you see them. Pick one! Snooze you lose - it’s as simple as that. :-X

The scary part is that he was probably being serious.

Robert Borden said that?? Yikes, he's been dead for like, 80 years!

I got this picture off of one of my $100 bills I have at home. I am hoarding them as I know it won't be long until Selfie Boy replaces him on the $100 with Sheila Copps.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

That’s the problem with CBC “requiring real names”. Nobody actually uses one. I mean it’s easy to anonymously shout your controversial opinions into the ether. But who wants to face the repercussions of their opinions?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:That’s the problem with CBC “requiring real names”. Nobody actually uses one. I mean it’s easy to anonymously shout your controversial opinions into the ether. But who wants to face the repercussions of their opinions?

I sure don't want to face the repercussions of Leftist opinions, which is why I hope this unelected NDP government we have here in BC falls as soon as possible.

Return to “B.C.”