Vancouver night clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

Noisy Boater
Übergod

Re: Vancouver night clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

Post by Noisy Boater »

Back in the mid 80s I worked at Gray Beverage. The lower mainland Pepsi Cola distributor. I was in the food service division which looked after restaraunt and hotel / niteclubs. I delivered your mix that gave us all big fat heads. I was usually in those places long before you party heads. Usually early a.m. when the cleanup crew was working. You people were awful. [icon_lol2.gif] If only I could remember all the names of those glory holes. I eventually got out of the delivery truck and into sales getting to know owners and bar managers sure came in handy Fri and Sat nite when I would impress my date by flashing my buisness card and cruised on in. Those were the days. Does anyone remember Fresgos on Davie street.?? Giant mushroom burger hangover cure!!! :130:
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Noisy Boater wrote:Back in the mid 80s I worked at Gray Beverage. The lower mainland Pepsi Cola distributor. I was in the food service division which looked after restaraunt and hotel / niteclubs. I delivered your mix that gave us all big fat heads. I was usually in those places long before you party heads. Usually early a.m. when the cleanup crew was working. You people were awful. [icon_lol2.gif] If only I could remember all the names of those glory holes. I eventually got out of the delivery truck and into sales getting to know owners and bar managers sure came in handy Fri and Sat nite when I would impress my date by flashing my buisness card and cruised on in. Those were the days. Does anyone remember Fresgos on Davie street.?? Giant mushroom burger hangover cure!!! :130:

I remember Gray Beverage when I worked in the night clubs in early 80's. Probably before your time though.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Think I started at Pepsi 82-83. Our plant was at First and Boundry Rd. Abe Gray was the original owner then asian guy named David Ho bought it and now I think its corporately owned. We used to go up to the Lougheed Hotel after work . Many a night drove home from there to Delta .Wow what a bonehead. Lougheed now gone some yuppy stuff there and skytrain. At least the Knight & Day still there corner of Broadway n Boundry. With McDonalds across the street.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Just read the whole thread (9 years running!) for the last 2 hours. FANTASTIC!

Some I did not see mentioned ?? ... timeframe > mid 70's (teen)

DIMPLES ... gastown.
(near Water st Cafe)

BUMPERS ... teen hangout end of kingsway towards 10th Ave. (seemed soooo far away at the time lol)
(those line dances to "raise a little hell!")
(those long waits @ that bus loop station nearby @ 2AM with the boyz)

STRAWBERRY PATCH ... downtown Vanc.
(went on a blind triple date & she was a knock out! & my buddies were jealous)
(had a descending disco lit dance floor in the middle , so cool)

CHICAGO TONITE ... new west
NEED HELP > (another club towards the Quay under the rails. The Time?)
NEED HELP > (another club to the west , some tropical name lol)

MARDI GRAS ... more 80's in Century Plaza Hotel on Burrard.
(the girl working in the lobby Hotel graduated with me & usually got me in)

Got in Sugar Daddys regular @ 16 yrs old only cause my friend new the owner & looked a lot older @ 17.
Sugar Daddys few yrs later had 'New Wave' nites every Tuesdays (more early 80's) << anyone? :)
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Does Richmond count as Vancouver?

The Buccaneer
Skystage
Skyline
Richmond Inn
Julianna's
Ol' Henry's
Bring back the LIKE button.
ecc

Post by ecc »

Does anyone remember the name of one of the larger dance clubs (3 levels, basement, main and upper level) that was located on a corner, near the edge of Gastown (east side of gastown)
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

The Anchor Hooking
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

ecc wrote:Does anyone remember the name of one of the larger dance clubs (3 levels, basement, main and upper level) that was located on a corner, near the edge of Gastown (east side of gastown)

The Blarney Stone?
Bring back the LIKE button.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

alanjh595 wrote:Does Richmond count as Vancouver?

The Buccaneer
Skystage
Skyline
Richmond Inn
Julianna's
Ol' Henry's

You and I hung out at all the same places. :130:
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Does anyone remember Fresgos on Davie street.??

Wow! Does that ever bring back memories. Got food poisoning there once!!
E92Vancouver

Re: Vancouver Night Clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

Post by E92Vancouver »

sunluvr wrote:Richmond had a club down by the bridge to the airport that we used to hang out at ... it was upstairs from a marina outlet. Do you remember it?

Skyline. Just behind the Skyline Hotel.

The Surf. They had fantastic char broiled burgers and tiki torches. The Keg and Cleaver was across the street.
E92Vancouver

Post by E92Vancouver »

What was the name of the night club at the Lonsdale Quay Market? Before the name changed to Tantra. Holidays up the street was awesome. They had a by the slice pizza place right next door.
al37ford

Post by al37ford »

Wow, just came across this thread & power reading ever since! Burnaby boy '61 grad and trying to recall some of the Bby clubs aside from the Flame, Lamplighter on Canada Way, Admiral hotel (pub & club!), Lougheed hotel pub, Astor hotel pub, Bby Hotel way down kingsway near NWest, can't recall all the names of the place at Sperling & Kingsway - Gai Paie? b4 & after names? . Kingsway hotel pub on Vancouver side on Kingsway, Rough join on Hastings downtown around the corner from the Smiling Budda?
Puccini's was mentioned in a past thread, used to come in from the alley with a bottle of CC right past the cops table & the mixer & ice would arrive before anything else! & there was Vi's Steakhouse around the corner from it. All fried steaks ..great..but she didn't make it easy for drinkers..you could but you were on your own for mixer etc. Stratford Hotel a few blocks into the ghetto ,,shuffleboard and beer but you didn't let your eyes wander much unless you were man mountain. Any answers?
Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Wow this brings back a lot of memories. I worked the door for awhile at Severins in Burnaby (Sev Morin was the owner) Jack Cullen used to do his CKNW "Owl Prowl" from upstairs. A couple of New West clubs mentioned: The Groove Yard was the club across from College Place Pub; The club on Front Street was the Mad Dolphin and lots of bands played there although Apple Jack aka Trooper was kind of a house band for awhile; I also saw Heart a couple of times at the Zodiac at the Royal Towers. Although I frequented these clubs mainly I was also in most of the clubs mentioned a time or two. Pharaohs was a favorite . Dale Cunningham (Wedgie) was the manager for Harvey and followed him to Palm Springs to work at Zeldas. He still lives there and owns a tire shop. I also frequented the majority of the restaurants mentioned. I just returned from Hawaii where I had dinner at Hy's which took me back to the Hy's across from the Cave.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

E92Vancouver wrote:What was the name of the night club at the Lonsdale Quay Market? Before the name changed to Tantra. Holidays up the street was awesome. They had a by the slice pizza place right next door.

Tugs ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”