Budget 2018

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Budget 2018

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:GB - you would have a frag of credibility if you actually could name the MLA you were talking about.

Good catch! Fixed! Hopefully won't happen again...just enjoying some good BC wine and Alberta beef, forgot to proof read my post.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:|Liberals making excuses for other Liberals - it was ever such!

Certainly no shortage of examples of NDP'ers making excuses for other NDP'ers, only in those instances it was cases of condoning conduct that was vehemently attacked when engaged in by the Liberal party.

Major hypocrisy there, whereas here all I saw, was a logical explanation, in response to a weak criticism.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Everyone should read David Bond's column,
In today's Kelowna Courier.
Nice sense of optimism.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

We once had the "Fudge-it-budget" and maybe this budget should be nicknamed the "Unintended consequences budget." From CBC News:

Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran says he wishes the province had consulted him or even provided a warning about the new speculation tax the B.C. government announced in its 2018 budget.

"It would have been nice," Basran said, adding the lack of notice and consultation on the new measure caused fears in his community and he wants answers.

"What we're hearing right now in the community is there's a lot of concern," he said. "This may have some very dire unintended consequences.
Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4556729
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I'm pretty sure those are intended consequences. They're deliberately going after wealthy no british columbians, which kelowna is literally full of.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

CapitalB wrote:I'm pretty sure those are intended consequences. They're deliberately going after wealthy no british columbians, which kelowna is literally full of.

And I'm literally shocked that somehow you feel that this is fair. Literally shocked.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

CapitalB wrote:I'm pretty sure those are intended consequences. They're deliberately going after wealthy no british columbians, which kelowna is literally full of.
Yeah, wealthy people are a pain in the rear. Who needs their investment money!!?? Colin Basran disagrees though. He seems to want investment in the community. Go figure;-)

They're worried about "disastrous" impacts on the local economy from what Basran says is more like an empty homes tax "which is potentially going to stop people from investing in our economy."
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Urbane wrote:
Yeah, wealthy people are a pain in the rear. Who needs their investment money!!?? Colin Basran disagrees though. He seems to want investment in the community. Go figure;-)

They're worried about "disastrous" impacts on the local economy from what Basran says is more like an empty homes tax "which is potentially going to stop people from investing in our economy."

Considering they usually just hoard it forever, or invest it into stocks that produce no jobs um whatever.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

CapitalB wrote:
Considering they usually just hoard it forever,

my neck is sore shaking my head at the sheer ignorance of this statement

or invest it into stocks that produce no jobs um whatever.

and this one just about made my head fall off. Just such a load of complete crap. Capital is required for corporations to buy and build assets. The stock market is essential to this process. To say that "stocks produce no jobs um whatever" demonstrates a profound ignorance of how the real world work, and essentially nullifies your opinion. How our education system has failed our children.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Why Are Corporations Hoarding Trillions? TLDR : To avoid paying taxes.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

CapitalB wrote:Considering they usually just hoard it forever, or invest it into stocks that produce no jobs um whatever.

AND this is a bad thing? They still have to buy food and pay taxes. Their "hoard" is eventually spent locally.

What about those that eat at the mission and don't pay any tax?
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

CapitalB wrote:Why Are Corporations Hoarding Trillions? TLDR : To avoid paying taxes.

What does this have to do with the brainless morons in the NDP wanting to punish people who own houses in Kelowna?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I posted that because you seem to have a misunderstanding of how companies use money, which multiplies your misunderstanding of how our government makes and applies its budget.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Speculation...

Think about it...

Inflated house prices...

Think about it...

Governments are elected to act...not to consult, forever.

Of course Basran does not have the best outhouse record on any consultation!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

CapitalB wrote:Why Are Corporations Hoarding Trillions? TLDR : To avoid paying taxes.

I don't have time to finish the entire article but does it address the fact that lots of this cash is actually prepaid deposits from customers that no product has been provided for yet?

Starbucks alone now has prepaid deposits larger than most major American banks.

Return to “B.C.”