Budget 2018

Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: Budget 2018

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 1st, 2018, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:
they shoot their mouths off, before putting their brains in gear.

LNG! LNG!!LNG! JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! Trillions of dollars for the Prosperity Fund!!! Debt Free BC!!

(sound familiar??)

Yep. Bad idea for any politician to make promises you can't keep.

How do you feel about it when the NDP do it, flamingfingers?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:
they shoot their mouths off, before putting their brains in gear.

LNG! LNG!!LNG! JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! Trillions of dollars for the Prosperity Fund!!! Debt Free BC!!

(sound familiar??)

Actually yes yes it does sound familiar................ oh now I recollect...............it's the sound of peanut chuckers.

I know you don't put much credence in actual facts, but at least Clark's example that you love to abuse, is something that was out of her hands, as she doesn't really have control over what the commodities market does. She also did deliver a low unemployment rate!
I'll take this moment to remind you that Horgan is also trying to sell LNG.

The difference you see though, is the promises the NDP were making, they knew full well at the time they were making them, that they were impossible to fulfill. That sort of takes us into the realm of false promises, false pretenses, name it what you wish, it's crooked and slimy.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Mar 1st, 2018, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

There are some 'broken promises' I resent - like the continuation of Site C - why continue the BC ChristyLiberal folly?? Ridiculous. There are also some 'broken promises' I can agree need to be broken - especially now that the new government has been able to have a good look at the books and examine what the previous government actually did.
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

... but at least Clark's example that you love to abuse, is something that was out of her hands, as she doesn't really have control over what the commodities market does.

Anyone who could read at that time and place should have been well aware that globally we were awash with a glut of LNG. Touting LNG at that particular time was a mugs game but the ChristyLiberal supporters were all rah,rah, rah.

Now it looks like the mid 2020s MIGHT be a reasonable time to get back into LNG but there has to be a better structure of profit flowing into BC before contracts are inked.
Chill
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:There are some 'broken promises' I resent - like the continuation of Site C - why continue the BC ChristyLiberal folly?? Ridiculous. There are also some 'broken promises' I can agree need to be broken - especially now that the new government has been able to have a good look at the books and examine what the previous government actually did.

Well, that should excuse absolutely anything. Like rashly promising to freeze hydro rates... oh, wait. That wasn't contingent on seeing the books, was it? Shoot. Must be another wonderful excuse for making that promise when he ought not to have. I'm just sure of it.

Ah, well, now that they've had a good look at the books, they won't be mucking anything else up, like the health tax thingy, right? Oh, wait... nope, bet there's an excuse for that, too.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:There are some 'broken promises' I resent - like the continuation of Site C - why continue the BC ChristyLiberal folly?? Ridiculous. There are also some 'broken promises' I can agree need to be broken - especially now that the new government has been able to have a good look at the books and examine what the previous government actually did.

That sounds a bit like a crock, given the NDP inherited a surplus, and all your chirping about the "books" doesn't change any of that.

Go back and take a look at your beloved NDP "books" 16+ years back that were consistently in the red, and if current actions are any indication, that's precisely where we are headed back too.

Not even a year in office, and how many sectors has the NDP already alienated? Just off the top of my head, let's see, wine industry, tourism industry, BC Hydro, Real Estate sector, School districts, all small business, oil industry, .............. I'm sure there's some I'm missing, but that's quite the list already.

Just wait until the lower mainland commuters, find their bridge tolls replaced by a commuter tax, that'll go over really well too.

As for Site C it's being finished because the mathematics say it's a good decision, one that even Horgan supported before he flip flopped, and then flip flopped again. That's quite the fascination NDP politicians have with flip flopping. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Well, that should excuse absolutely anything. Like rashly promising to freeze hydro rates... oh, wait. That wasn't contingent on seeing the books, was it? Shoot. Must be another wonderful excuse for making that promise when he ought not to have. I'm just sure of it.

If you read a bit you would see it was the BCUC that said the rate freeze was unjustified and the new government chose to go with the nonpartisan BCUC. Unlike the ChristyLiberals who totally ignored the BCUC.

But now, apparently, BC Hydro is receiving more attention from the BCUC:

VaughnPalmer

Verified account

@VaughnPalmer
1h1 hour ago
More
#bcpoli BC Utilities commission would appear to have some concerns about what BC Hydro is paying for Independent Power Projects -- requested further info from Hydro about costs, terms of IPP contracts.

And well about time!!!!
Chill
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

flamingfingers wrote:
... but at least Clark's example that you love to abuse, is something that was out of her hands, as she doesn't really have control over what the commodities market does.

Anyone who could read at that time and place should have been well aware that globally we were awash with a glut of LNG. Touting LNG at that particular time was a mugs game but the ChristyLiberal supporters were all rah,rah, rah.

Now it looks like the mid 2020s MIGHT be a reasonable time to get back into LNG but there has to be a better structure of profit flowing into BC before contracts are inked.

Ummm... the facts are that the global LNG market is growing by leaps and bounds and exceeding forecasts (by 30%!).

And guess what? Because of BC NDP "we're agin' everything" the industry got scared out of BC.

Instead the Americans, including Tides donors, are liquefying BC and Canadian natural gas and benefiting from the jobs, tax revenues, and profits! The BC NDP are "useful idiots" to the US oil and gas industry.

https://www.shell.com/energy-and-innovation/natural-gas/liquefied-natural-gas-lng/lng-outlook.html
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:

If you read a bit you would see it was the BCUC that said the rate freeze was unjustified and the new government chose to go with the nonpartisan BCUC. Unlike the ChristyLiberals who totally ignored the BCUC.

But now, apparently, BC Hydro is receiving more attention from the BCUC:

VaughnPalmer

Verified account

@VaughnPalmer
1h1 hour ago
More
#bcpoli BC Utilities commission would appear to have some concerns about what BC Hydro is paying for Independent Power Projects -- requested further info from Hydro about costs, terms of IPP contracts.

And well about time!!!!

I must admit I'm confused by what you've written here. This is my understanding of it:
After campaigning on the one-year rate freeze in 2017, the NDP directed BC Hydro in November to change its rate application to the BCUC. The original three per cent increase was proposed by the BC Liberals in 2016.

Seems to me you're tying yourself in knots trying to blame this on Clark, rather than acknowledging Horgan ought not to have promised what he promised in the first place.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

rustled wrote:Seems to me you're tying yourself in knots trying to blame this on Clark, rather than acknowledging Horgan ought not to have promised what he promised in the first place.

Perhaps you don't understand the problem?

For many people in British Columbia a three percent rate hike from BC Hydro is going to cause a hardship. Too bad the BC liberals left the utility in such a mess with their budget balancing (looting), IPP's and Site C commitments, but that's what we're left with.

Despite the best of intentions on the part of the BC NDP, it seems the BC Utilities Commission has turned down the rate freeze.

Blame Premier Horgan and the NDP for trying, or blame the folks that squandered a legacy over the last 16 years? I know, but the 1990's blah, blah, blah...
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:If you read a bit you would see it was the BCUC that said the rate freeze was unjustified and the new government chose to go with the nonpartisan BCUC. Unlike the ChristyLiberals who totally ignored the BCUC.
Horgan promised to freeze BC Hydro rates. I said at the time that it was a terrible idea and you said that it was a good idea because the NDP would have no idea what the Hydro books looked like and a freeze would give them time to have a look. Of course you, I, and everyone else knew that the promise was vote-buying pure and simple and that it had nothing to do with needing all this time to "look at the books."

BCUC recognized that Horgan's rationale was a crock and good for them. So except for Site C you're okay with broken promises from the NDP. Well I'm not and I think that the government you're supporting would be much better off if NDP'ers were willing to critique the government and acknowledge obvious mistakes.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Drip_Torch wrote:
rustled wrote:Seems to me you're tying yourself in knots trying to blame this on Clark, rather than acknowledging Horgan ought not to have promised what he promised in the first place.

Perhaps you don't understand the problem?

For many people in British Columbia a three percent rate hike from BC Hydro is going to cause a hardship. Too bad the BC liberals left the utility in such a mess with their budget balancing (looting), IPP's and Site C commitments, but that's what we're left with.

Despite the best of intentions on the part of the BC NDP, it seems the BC Utilities Commission has turned down the rate freeze.

Blame Premier Horgan and the NDP for trying, or blame the folks that squandered a legacy over the last 16 years? I know, but the 1990's blah, blah, blah...

Anything rather than admit Horgan shouldn't have made that promise, right?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Drip_Torch wrote:

Too bad the BC liberals left the utility in such a mess with their budget balancing (looting), IPP's and Site C commitments, but that's what we're left with.

Quoted for truth!!

Could go with leaving ICBC in a $1.3 BILLION dollar hole too.

BC Liberals "prudent fiscal managers'??? How ludicrous!!
Chill
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Urbane wrote:Horgan promised to freeze BC Hydro rates. I said at the time that it was a terrible idea and you said that it was a good idea because the NDP would have no idea what the Hydro books looked like and a freeze would give them time to have a look. Of course you, I, and everyone else knew that the promise was vote-buying pure and simple and that it had nothing to do with needing all this time to "look at the books." BCUC recognized that Horgan's rationale was a crock and good for them. So except for Site C you're okay with broken promises from the NDP. Well I'm not and I think that the government you're supporting would be much better off if NDP'ers were willing to critique the government and acknowledge obvious mistakes.

Yeah, like the last 16 years didn't happen.

Anything rather than admit Horgan shouldn't have made that promise, right?

Oh, I guess we should just carry on business as usual? Who cares what the BC Utilities Commission, or for that matter, any other independent non partisan commission has to say.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “B.C.”