Hedley Kelowna Cancellation?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Hedley Kelowna Cancellation?

Post by JayByrd »

So Hedley has stated they will finish up the tour and then take an indefinite hiatus. This doesn't stop individual venues from cancelling shows, though that would be an expensive prospect. It's been interesting to see some ticketing agencies providing refunds, even though their refund policies don't require them to.

I expect this will be the end of Hedley. Jacob Hoggard will have a lot to overcome if he's to resume a career in show business. Although Mike Tyson managed to do it, so who knows? The other band members will likely be able to move on, as long as there are no more allegations directed toward them specifically.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

JLives wrote:Both.

There's a feeling that more mass accusers coming out means females are capitalizing on a trend. In reality, it's that the abuses that have always been happening are coming to public attention.

Indeed. My brother went on tour with a Kelowna band a few years ago. He witnessed first hand the hookers and blow. He said every night he'd hear the lead singer "banging away in the room next door." The reason some band members went with hookers over adoring fans (who are more than willing) is that prostitutes are less likely to complain afterwards if you abuse them. Plus, your wife back home is less likely to find out.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Oh Jacob knows he is finished, stepping away from his career indefinitely
https://globalnews.ca/news/4055149/hedl ... legations/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Calculator

Post by Calculator »

This CBC article about the upcoming Kitchener, ON concert seems strikingly similar to what is happening here in Kelowna.
It might be a bit more difficult for Kelowna to cancel due to some strong local ties. Relatives of band members here I do not know which member.

"The allegations of sexual misconduct against the band, and more recently, the allegations of rape against their lead singer, are horrendous,"

"would rather make a profit than stand with survivors of sexual assault."

"This isn't 2015 anymore...hearing all the allegations come out, as well as this tour really brought back parallels to the Bill Cosby show that happened in January 2015 at the Centre in The Square,"

It seriously seems that profit over doing the right thing is happening in Kelowna by the promoters and Prospera Place.

Anyone know if the venue & promoters can be held liable if they knowingly pay to bring an alleged rapist here and they he does something to someone here?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.4557366
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Calculator wrote:
Anyone know if the venue & promoters can be held liable if they knowingly pay to bring an alleged rapist here and they he does something to someone here?

What ? No ? lol?

SMH.
Calculator

Post by Calculator »

Hassel99 wrote:
Calculator wrote:

What ? No ? lol?

SMH.

Ya /sarcasm... but the pain of just knowing something can, will, might or did happen is easily relieved by the sweet soothing comfort of profits.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Hassel99 wrote:
Calculator wrote:

What ? No ? lol?

SMH.

Calculator wrote:Ya /sarcasm... but the pain of just knowing something can, will, might or did happen is easily relieved by the sweet soothing comfort of profits.

Whether you feel a business/businessperson is acting unscrupulously/immoral or not - the final decision on whether to patronize any business is ultimately up to you the consumer.
Calculator

Post by Calculator »

WalterWhite wrote:
Whether you feel a business/businessperson is acting unscrupulously/immoral or not - the final decision on whether to patronize any business is ultimately up to you the consumer.

I totally agree... that said, whether or not this show goes on I am not planning on boycotting any future shows promoted at Prospera. I sure as :cuss: am not letting my teenage daughter go to this show though and she has been to previous Hedley shows before.
Last edited by ferri on Mar 2nd, 2018, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

JLives wrote:Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but there will be thousands more cases coming out. This is an epidemic and has been going on for centuries. You're just starting to hear about it now.

Exactly...Social justice...keyboard warriors..

Anyways we might as well start looking back into time and check everyband....Beatles Elvis Motley Crew.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Calculator wrote:
"would rather make a profit than stand with survivors of sexual assault."

It seriously seems that profit over doing the right thing is happening in Kelowna by the promoters and Prospera Place.

Oh please. "Stand with survivors of sexual assault"? They're a concert venue. They have a contract, signed long before any of this went public, which they are honouring. Goodness, does every person and every business have to be taking a stand for something? Can't we just do what we do? Sometimes?

What about the guitar techs and stage hands touring with Hedley? Are they choosing profit over doing what's right?

Jacob Hoggard has a cell phone I'm sure. Should his cell provider "do the right thing" and cut him off? Should the hydro company stop supplying electricity to his home? Where do we draw the line?

If a company with business ties to Hedley wants to sever those ties (and make no mistake, they're looking out for themselves, not "standing with survivors") it's their choice to do so. Not doing so is also their choice.

And no, a concert promoter is not liable for the after-hours conduct of the band they hire. Sorry.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

And then again some ppl don't learn
" At one point in the show Hoggard encouraged fans to hold the hand of a friend next to them and profess their interest in having the other person serve them "breakfast."

"Because, baby, you're my most important meal of the day," Hoggard added, which seemed to imply oral sex."
Fairly icky given what has been happening in the News about him of late
Entire article here
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/he ... -1.3825468
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Calculator

Post by Calculator »

"It looks like I wasn't the only one,"... "Interesting."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/he ... -1.4559347
jasmineschmidtz

Post by jasmineschmidtz »

Apparently there is a protest planned according to Buzzfeed? Anyone heard anything about this? :135:

The band's tour ends March 23 in Kelowna, BC. A protest is planned outside the venue. - https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/hedley-indefinite-hiatus
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Hedley Kelowna Cancellation

Post by Ken7 »

Calculator wrote:Not sure if it should be more of a question or a call out for action and i don't know how to punctuate that.

Hedley has performed here a few times now so there may be the possibility of silent victims locally or the possibility of reoffending at this show.... but I get innocent until proven guilty.

I'm more of the let's not take the chance with our girls opinions.

I like your line of thought. If one is concerned about being victimized by these people, why go?

It is allegations at this time and sometimes there are underlying reasons.

In today's world, there are many false accusations as it can be a simple money grab in some cases, not all. It will be interesting to see how this closes.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jasmineschmidtz wrote:Apparently there is a protest planned according to Buzzfeed? Anyone heard anything about this? :135:

The band's tour ends March 23 in Kelowna, BC. A protest is planned outside the venue. - https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/hedley-indefinite-hiatus

Some people need more to do with their lives... wow!

Return to “Social Concerns”