MEC

Veovis
Guru

Re: MEC

Post by Veovis »

normaM wrote:er, Kale not kelp eating :)Agreed it isn't about morals but spin.
Bet some NRA members enjoy kale too.

Likely, except they feed the kale to actual food.
Love to Hike

Post by Love to Hike »

This should have be put to vote for all members to have their input and not at the whim of a nervous MEC executive body. Vista to my understanding is a large company owning many smaller companies who have been dependable suppliers to MEC. Though any mass killing is totally unacceptable this knee jerk reaction is ludicrous. Why hang smaller companies out to dry and put their employee out of work because a parent company offends you?

The bigger problem is our society's welcoming killing and violent games to even exist. Not to mention movies and television that have totally desensitized our society into accepting human death as normal while at the same time killing animals is an outrage.

Guns have not changed but the people buying them have. Dad always told me to turn on my brain before putting my mouth in gear. Perhaps the MEC is acting too quickly by not putting this to vote.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Love to Hike wrote:This should have be put to vote for all members to have their input and not at the whim of a nervous MEC executive body. Vista to my understanding is a large company owning many smaller companies who have been dependable suppliers to MEC. Though any mass killing is totally unacceptable this knee jerk reaction is ludicrous. Why hang smaller companies out to dry and put their employee out of work because a parent company offends you?

The bigger problem is our society's welcoming killing and violent games to even exist. Not to mention movies and television that have totally desensitized our society into accepting human death as normal while at the same time killing animals is an outrage.

Guns have not changed but the people buying them have. Dad always told me to turn on my brain before putting my mouth in gear. Perhaps the MEC is acting too quickly by not putting this to vote.

Loudly stop business with, well except for the current inventory, get a bump in business from people who agree with such a proclamation, wait 6 weeks for things to quiet down and quietly start restocking the "banned" items.

Profit.

That's my bet, but who knows, maybe the executive board isn't actually trying to make a larger profit.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Love to Hike wrote:This should have be put to vote for all members to have their input and not at the whim of a nervous MEC executive body.

The NRA should do the same. According to some stats, 87% of gun owners in the States (many NRA members I would presume) support some measure of gun control through enhanced background checks. What could the reason be for the NRA to be opposed to that other than the risk of losing a few gun sales (Nicholas Cruz would not have been able to buy ten assault rifles). It seems most of the people arguing against gun control don't even know what the argument is about.
Blackhyper

Post by Blackhyper »

I too will cancel my membership to MEC. This knee jerk reaction and the poor business decisions that go with it are a sad sign of todays society. I received the petition on change.org I deleted it immediately. 35,000ish uniformed people signed the petition. How many Disagree with this stance? Also its 35000 people not MEC members. how many of the roughly 5 million members who are avid outdoors people, see the foolishness in this tactic and disagree to boycotting a particular supplier because it also is a gun and ammunition supplier. If anyone truly thinks these tactics will have any affect on the real world situations they are sadly mistaken.

How sad it is that we are back on the same stupid gun control merry-go-round. What about the real issue? Why Cruz could buy a gun legally? Or why he was allowed to maintain ownership with all of the signs that he should not own a gun of any kind, AR or otherwise. What about the real failure in this whole sad, tragic situation, the failure of the FBI and local law enforcement to contain the threat. It was known fact that he said he WANTED to be a school shooter! You can't get much more black and white than that. This is once again NOT a gun control issue. The gun didn't do the crime. The fact that there is a push to ban the AR15 shows how little knowledge the people trying to do the banning have. The AR15 is NOT a particularly lethal gun (or bullet). I will not go into the technical detail here but the pycho that decided to perpetrate this horrendous act could have chosen a much more devastating round. Anyone with any military knowledge knows the 556 round was chosen for its non lethal characteristics.

There needs to be education and knowledge. I fully agree that measures need to be put in place to prevent people that cannot responsibly own guns to not be able to acquire them. Back ground checks and how about a qualification program to prove you are fit to own a firearm. Much like getting a drivers licence, it is much the same, If you think about it. but banning a certain type of gun is ignorant and will do little stop stop mass shootings. The next shooter will just pick a different weapon. Ban all the weapons you can think of and they will start running people down in the streets, like we are seeing in Europe now.

Bottom line is this was a serious blunder by any agency that was alerted to this sick individual and his clearly telegraphed intentions. Why is it so difficult to recognize that the blame does not fall on the tool that was used. It falls squarely on the people designated to defend against these types of acts. I also falls on the people around him that needed alert those people of the threat. This school shooting was because of a failure of the system.
RUEZ
Fledgling

Post by RUEZ »

This is a useless and pandering gesture. The US needs to restrict who gets firearms, not the firearms themselves.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

RUEZ wrote:The US needs to restrict who gets firearms, not the firearms themselves.

Exactly, and that is precisely what most people are asking for. The big question is, why is the NRA so opposed to this measure? There are only a couple of real reasons that I and many others can see (please elucidate us if there are others), and that is they either see it as a threat to gun sales, or maybe they see it as a threat to their power and influence (or both). If this was an environmental group the usual hypocrites would be screaming about the influence of lobbyists. Right now in the US the NRA has more power than the electorate, and while they claim to stand for freedom and liberty that argument fails when they try to protect the freedom of the violently psychotic to buy assault rifles. Gun sales. The NRA wants Americans to believe they need to sell more guns, to arm everyone, and many Americans are just gullible enough to believe this is actually a second amendment issue. Heck, we have a couple proud life long members here in Canada who are just as dull-witted.
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

Jflem1983...
JagXKR...
Blackhyper...
very well said and Kudos to you all.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I feel for MEC. They were screwed either way. Do nothing and thy alienate one demographic, do something and they alienate another. I would have liked them to do nothing, but when you have 1000s of members, many of whom think that a small little .22 with extra dark molded plastic on it makes it an "assault gun," you are really backed into a corner where the best business decision might be to do what they did.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:

The power of the NRA is just the power of the people. Its 5 million paid members speak for a hundred million more.

Not no more :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I find this ridiculous and will be cancelling my membership as well. Also shame on MEC for using this opportunity for free headlines and to make it about them.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:

The power of the NRA is just the power of the people. Its 5 million paid members speak for a hundred million more.

Not no more :up:

Now more than ever
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

I haven’t bought anything from MEC but with the outdoor wholesale closed down in west Kelowna I was thinking of it. Not anymore though. I refuse to support any type of SJW movement based on illogical thinking and not taking in consideration all the facts. These companies employ thousands of people and make various equipment not even used with guns. Binoculars, spotting scopes, compasses, clothing etc all items used by hunters, hikers, bird watchers, and general nature/outdoor enthusiasts alike. This whole thing is complete garbage and is just a irrational reaction to a tragedy that only happened because all levels of law enforcement failed to do their job. They are the ones that need an overhaul on what they did wrong and make changes to ensure multiple concerned citizens reports are taken more seriously and thoroughly investigated.

Months before this even happened I decided I am going to get my PAL and restricted arms license this year and the first two guns I’ll be purchasing are a Colt AR-15 .223 and a desert eagle .38. Handgun for protection when I’m in the backwoods and the AR for target shooting.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

RUEZ wrote:This is a useless and pandering gesture. The US needs to restrict who gets firearms, not the firearms themselves.

That's the point. The NRA is an extremely powerful lobbyist and they prevent any changes to gun laws in the US. Various groups have tried for years and other than a few minor changes, nothing happens.

This is kind of like the whole abuse thing in Hollywood. It went on for years and nothing was done until people started to come forward en mass and the accusations couldn't be ignored anymore. Same thing is happening with the NRA. Enough is enough and now kids have started the movement that might finally break the back of the NRA and allow real changes to gun laws in the US.

The NRA is a dinosaur and has no place in the modern world.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

techrtr wrote: The NRA is a dinosaur and has no place in the modern world.

No lobby group should wield so much power in government. The Americans have politicians bought and paid for by this group and the NRA has a stronger voice than the politicians own constituents. If this was an environmental group the usual hypocrites here would be screaming bloody murder. Instead, they deflect and try and make this a second amendment issue. Again, what harm could come from enhanced background checks? Can anyone stop deflecting and answer that?

Return to “Canada”