Elementary Schools

RhianneM

Elementary Schools

Post by RhianneM »

We are considering moving to Kelowna in time for the start of the 2018-2019 school year. We have 2 kids who will be going into grades 4 and 6 (new school year). In terms of areas to live we have been considering Kettle Valley, Upper Mission, Wilden, but the choice of elementary school will largely impact that too, and it will ultimately be about finding a nice, safe neighbourhood with a good school :-)

I'm familiar with which schools are in those catchment areas, and I've had a look at the Fraser Institute (but know that a 'good' school is much more than just the academic achievement), so I would love to hear some of your experiences at, or knowledge of Kelowna elementary schools. Other than the academic side of things, I'd be interested in the more general aspects of the way the schools are run; parent-school communication/involvement, stance on bullying, non academic opportunities (sports, music programs, other things they can get involved with). Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!
kelbear25
Fledgling

Re: Elementary Schools

Post by kelbear25 »

You should also consider middle schools as some areas already have middle school starting at grade 6 or will soon. Kettle Valley (Chute Lake Elem) is over capacity and could be difficult to get into. There is no middle school in that area yet but "The Ponds" middle school is proposed for upper mission. I hear good things about Watson Rd and Glenmore schools that I expect would be options for Wilden area. Consider also if you want french immersion as that is also in high demand.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Elementary School in the district generally ends at grade 6. As mentioned, if school is important then you should be focusing on middle school unless you plan to move again after a couple of years.

Honestly tho - all of the schools are fine. Some may be marginally better than others. Rutland area doesn't have the best reputation, but Rutland Senior Secondary and Rutland Middle Schools are consistently rated as some of the best in Kelowna.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

TylerM4 wrote:Elementary School in the district generally ends at grade 6. As mentioned, if school is important then you should be focusing on middle school unless you plan to move again after a couple of years.

Honestly tho - all of the schools are fine. Some may be marginally better than others. Rutland area doesn't have the best reputation, but Rutland Senior Secondary and Rutland Middle Schools are consistently rated as some of the best in Kelowna.

Elementary ends in grade 5 at a lot of schools. Fraser Institute rankings are a joke in my opinion.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Looking at Elementary Schools alone may be a bit short sighted. You need to consider commuting distances to all the other amenities you will need going forward.
Most services are clustered along the Hwy 97 corridor or on either side of it. More businesses are locating north of Hwy 33 where land is available and continue to stretch out to the airport.
If you are a newcomer to the city, moving into an old established area means your kids will have a harder time breaking into the social networks. New areas like North Glenmore are within easy reach of both elementary and middle schools and easy reach of shopping. A new recreation centre is being developed at Cross Road and Valley Road. Access to the University will be improved with a new road from Glenmore. This will also improve access to the airport from Glenmore. This new road will open by September. Good luck and welcome to Kelowna.
Waste not
RhianneM

Post by RhianneM »

Thanks for your replies, and good point about Middle School! Where we are at the moment, the kids go from elementary straight to high school, so I was thinking we had 2 more years of elementary for my eldest. I have just called a couple of the schools and asked about Middle Schools, so have an idea now of what the options are here, i.e. Okanagan Middle School for Anne McClymont.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

If you want to be close to all schools(elem.middle.high) you may want to consider Rutland. Close to everything you need like hardware ,groceries, costco,walmart, ice rink, rec center, etc i could go on.
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 2nd, 2018, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

johnrae wrote:*removed*

*removed*

Welcome to Castanet! ;-) :up:
Last edited by ferri on Mar 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

RhianneM wrote:We are considering moving to Kelowna in time for the start of the 2018-2019 school year. We have 2 kids who will be going into grades 4 and 6 (new school year). In terms of areas to live we have been considering Kettle Valley, Upper Mission, Wilden, but the choice of elementary school will largely impact that too, and it will ultimately be about finding a nice, safe neighbourhood with a good school :-)

I'm familiar with which schools are in those catchment areas, and I've had a look at the Fraser Institute (but know that a 'good' school is much more than just the academic achievement), so I would love to hear some of your experiences at, or knowledge of Kelowna elementary schools. Other than the academic side of things, I'd be interested in the more general aspects of the way the schools are run; parent-school communication/involvement, stance on bullying, non academic opportunities (sports, music programs, other things they can get involved with). Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Upper Mission and Kettle Valley areas are overpriced and a traffic nightmare in the morning and afternoon when schools get out. Wilden is also high priced and will require driving the kids to school. Not sure of your budget for mortgage (if any) but the Lower Mission and Glenmore might be more to your liking.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Dont move here. We are full. Lol
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Before you move here come and stay for a week or two. Check out the various neighbourhoods and drive. Kettle Valley and Wilden are "one road in, one road out" developments and traffic can be a deal-breaker for some. Just ask anyone about the fire of 2003.

Are you going to be working here? Do you already have jobs or are you self-employed? Think about commutes, grocery shopping etc.

My kids went preschool to 12 at Heritage Christian. Daughter is now in Pastry Arts at Okanagan College and son is working until he heads to Vancouver to join the military. They have former classmates in law and med schools and still get together with them. Our kids loved going there, but it isn't for everyone.

Good luck in your hunt!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Not much good to say about SD 23. Hopefully your kids get better teachers than i had . Wishing you luck in your move
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Central Okanagan”