MEC

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: MEC

Post by rustled »

techrtr wrote:
RUEZ wrote:This is a useless and pandering gesture. The US needs to restrict who gets firearms, not the firearms themselves.

That's the point. The NRA is an extremely powerful lobbyist and they prevent any changes to gun laws in the US. Various groups have tried for years and other than a few minor changes, nothing happens.

This is kind of like the whole abuse thing in Hollywood. It went on for years and nothing was done until people started to come forward en mass and the accusations couldn't be ignored anymore. Same thing is happening with the NRA. Enough is enough and now kids have started the movement that might finally break the back of the NRA and allow real changes to gun laws in the US.

The NRA is a dinosaur and has no place in the modern world.

I'm struggling a bit with your final statement.

It seems to me the NRA has taken an extremist position, and they frame everything in an "all or nothing", "terrorist and saviour" way. IMO, they are counting on having people to rise up against the NRA so people will then rise up to protect the NRA, as they have done here, rather than help each other understand what's at stake and how best to resolve the problem. This is how the extremists drown out the far greater number of voices not asking for the NRA to be disbanded or the nation to be disarmed, but simply asking for a rational discussion about sensible change.

I, too, would like to know how NRA members feel about their organization's position on enhanced background checks. What is the rationale, here?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

It’s a simple business decision coupled with seeing the tide finally changing and trying to be on the right side of that change.
They are willing to give up the gun toting rabid NRA members and feel that they will gain on the others who have had enough of the crazy :cuss: that is happening in the states.

I shopped at MEC before and I will continue to shop there. I own three guns but haven’t touched them in probably 15 or 20 years. Times change, activities change for individuals.

As was said in many previous posts, I don’t understand why the position against increased background checks and waiting times, raised age limits, and restricitions on assault weapons, bump stocks etc.
You and 71 others Like this post
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Nedroj wrote:Months before this even happened I decided I am going to get my PAL and restricted arms license this year and the first two guns I’ll be purchasing are a Colt AR-15 .223 and a desert eagle .38. Handgun for protection when I’m in the backwoods and the AR for target shooting.

I’m pretty certain that packing a handgun around in the backwoods for protection is illegal, and what are you going to protect yourself from with a 38 ? squirrels?

As far as I’m concerned semi auto’s are for those that are either emotionally or physically insecure, or just can’t shoot straight.
The most accurate rifles used by the military and hunters alike are bolt action.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hurtlander wrote:I’m pretty certain that packing a handgun around in the backwoods for protection is illegal, and what are you going to protect yourself from with a 38 ? squirrels?

As far as I’m concerned semi auto’s are for those that are either emotionally or physically insecure, or just can’t shoot straight.
The most accurate rifles used by the military and hunters alike are bolt action.

All handguns are semi-autos. Yes, you can pack one in special cases. eg. the park worker at Liard River Hotsprings Provincial Park had a hand gun on his side when we were there. This is because of the problems with bears (a bear attacked tourists a few years ago, and an American took out his gun he illegally brought into the country and shot the bear dead). But this is very rare. My mom has been packing heat lately, but it's a rifle because the paperwork allowing you to use a restricted firearm outside of a gun range is a lot, and you'll probably be denied anyway.

The laws around only being allowed to use short barrel guns (hand guns, AR-15s, etc.) at the gun range do not prevent shootings because anyone who owns one will take it for a shooting rampage if they feel so inclined. They merely make people feel safer. The laws that DO prevent shootings are the background checks and gun safety course you must take. These are things that US SHOULD do. It certainly would have prevented the latest shooting without taking away rights from law abiding citizens.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Nedroj wrote:Months before this even happened I decided I am going to get my PAL and restricted arms license this year and the first two guns I’ll be purchasing are a Colt AR-15 .223 and a desert eagle .38. Handgun for protection when I’m in the backwoods and the AR for target shooting.

Possession of a firearm, including an AR-15, is illegal in Canada. Section 92 of the Criminal Code of Canada

Therefore; you would be breaking two laws in Canada by doing what you are thinking.

They cannot be taken to crown land, hunting grounds, or any other area. Generally speaking they may only be taken from the owner’s residence, where they must be stored in a locked container or safe, to a gun range to be shot, a gun shop to be sold, or a gun smith’s to be repaired.
Bring back the LIKE button.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Nedroj wrote:
Months before this even happened I decided I am going to get my PAL and restricted arms license this year and the first two guns I’ll be purchasing are a Colt AR-15 .223 and a desert eagle .38. Handgun for protection when I’m in the backwoods and the AR for target shooting.

You do realize that a special permit with a long drawn out and stringent application process is required to carry or possess a restricted weapon any where other than your home and membership range? The intended protection under this special permit is for defense against potentially dangerous wildlife such as bears, wolves, cougars etc. The Desert Eagle .38 is a poor choice for this purpose and would be questioned and likely rejected. Approval is based primarily on occupation, personal history and choice of sidearm.

Best to do some research before you get all wound up about playing Rambo in the forest. You're going to need to make each of the various applications count the first time around as rejection will seriously hinder your chances of subsequent approval.
Someone has to say it.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Glacier wrote:All handguns are semi-autos. Yes, you can pack one in special cases. eg. the park worker at Liard River Hotsprings Provincial Park had a hand gun on his side when we were there. This is because of the problems with bears (a bear attacked tourists a few years ago, and an American took out his gun he illegally brought into the country and shot the bear dead). But this is very rare. My mom has been packing heat lately, but it's a rifle because the paperwork allowing you to use a restricted firearm outside of a gun range is a lot, and you'll probably be denied anyway.

The laws around only being allowed to use short barrel guns (hand guns, AR-15s, etc.) at the gun range do not prevent shootings because anyone who owns one will take it for a shooting rampage if they feel so inclined. They merely make people feel safer. The laws that DO prevent shootings are the background checks and gun safety course you must take. These are things that US SHOULD do. It certainly would have prevented the latest shooting without taking away rights from law abiding citizens.

Sorry, when I was referencing semi autos I was referring to rifles, I should’ve been more specific..As for handguns, revolvers aren’t usually classified as semi-autos, though I suppose technically they are...
I am also aware of the fact that it is possible for a special permit to be obtained to carry a hand gun in the bush, but I’m not so sure the person I was replying to was even considering obtaining that permit. Besides, who uses a 38 for protection against a charging bear, a 12 gauge riot gun with a pistol grip is what you’d find in my backpack.

ETA: when asked the parks contractor working Liard Hotsprings about his “handgun” he told me it was just a fancy looking bear banger, when bears are a concern he has a rifle in his truck.
Póg Mo Thoin
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Personally im ok with someone packing a gun.

The last gun i had pulled on me was likely not registered. So i dont really worry about it. The government can not protect u.

MEC will likely be less of a going concern going forward. They have tried to hijack a tragedy and make it about them. I can not ever go into their stores again. Sickening liberal behaviour
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hurtlander wrote:ETA: when asked the parks contractor working Liard Hotsprings about his “handgun” he told me it was just a fancy looking bear banger, when bears are a concern he has a rifle in his truck.

Cool, I did not know that!

P.S. CNN's Attempt To Target Stores That Sell 'Assault-Style Rifles' Backfires

P.P.S. Most semi-auto rifles are not restricted. Restricted is not based upon caliber, power, or action type. It's based upon barrel length.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Glacier wrote:
Hurtlander wrote:ETA: when asked the parks contractor working Liard Hotsprings about his “handgun” he told me it was just a fancy looking bear banger, when bears are a concern he has a rifle in his truck.

Cool, I did not know that!

P.S. CNN's Attempt To Target Stores That Sell 'Assault-Style Rifles' Backfires

P.P.S. Most semi-auto rifles are not restricted. Restricted is not based upon caliber, power, or action type. It's based upon barrel length.

Well except the AR15 it is restricted based on looks alone . Yet a Tavor is non restriced and essentially the same
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Glacier wrote:P.P.S. Most semi-auto rifles are not restricted. Restricted is not based upon caliber, power, or action type. It's based upon barrel length.

I don’t believe anyone said semi-auto rifles are restricted, however many people would like them to become restricted weapons because of the perception that they’re just as likely to be used for the mass shooting of humans as they will be used to shoot a fox in the chicken coop.
Póg Mo Thoin
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

JagXKR wrote:My Bolle ski goggles, my Bell cycling helmet, my Bushnell spotting scope......

Hey, if you get so mad at MEC that just the thought of wearing those 'terrorist' tainted ski goggles drives you crazy, I could sure use a pair that are better than my Gordinis. Please PM me . . ..
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

The power of the NRA is just the power of the people. Its 5 million paid members speak for a hundred million more. There will be lots of people sending money. NRA will be fine.

Terrorist is rite. NRA members didnt kill any kids. No reason at all for any of this. Blame should lie with the sherriff.

Shame on MEC for turning sjw. They are no longer an option for me[/quote]

I highly doubt that. You're saying that 5 million speak for 105 million?
So, 100 million supporters are too cheap to pay $40 US? However, they are ardent supporters, no matter what?
Trolling or a joke, I'm not sure which.
I would say 5 million members, and that's divided between all the way from responsible enthusiasts to total whack jobs.
Odds favour the bulk are near the middle.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

bernie428 wrote:The power of the NRA is just the power of the people. Its 5 million paid members speak for a hundred million more. There will be lots of people sending money. NRA will be fine.

Terrorist is rite. NRA members didnt kill any kids. No reason at all for any of this. Blame should lie with the sherriff.

Shame on MEC for turning sjw. They are no longer an option for me

I highly doubt that. You're saying that 5 million speak for 105 million?
So, 100 million supporters are too cheap to pay $40 US? However, they are ardent supporters, no matter what?
Trolling or a joke, I'm not sure which.
I would say 5 million members, and that's divided between all the way from responsible enthusiasts to total whack jobs.
Odds favour the bulk are near the middle.[/quote]

Lol. Look up election results when gun control is on the ballot. Loses every time.

Return to “Canada”