Good bye John A., hello Viola

Snman
Übergod

Good bye John A., hello Viola

Post by Snman »

While I cannot question the efforts and achievements of Viola Desmond or her courage for that matter, I have to wonder why we need to push John A. Macdonald off the ten spot and into the abyss. A statue of him was vandalized in Montreal and another of him was spray painted head to toe in Regina. For crying out loud, he was the first Prime Minister. Should we all be ashamed to be Canadian or something? I have to think that political correctness has made it's way into Canadian currency. What do others think?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/22 ... eiled-soon
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Good bye John A., hello Viola

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well ill start by saying. We can not get rid of Trudeau fast enough. Suddenly under the godless liberals. History is the enemy and protesters are good. No sorry not in my Canada.

Sickening behaviour to deface a statue.
These people who are so angry would not even be here were it not for John A .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

viola.jpg
Apparently, Sir John will be moved to a higher denomination. :up:

The only mockup with Viola Desmond I’ve seen has her on the twenty. :135:
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What's wrong with change?

Change in currencies and on currencies has been happening since Roman times.

To Viola Desmond! :130:

It was in 1946 when she rejected racial discrimination by sitting in a whites-only section of a New Glasgow, N.S., movie theatre. She was arrested and fined.

Even though Desmond has been compared to Rosa Parks, the U.S. civil rights hero who refused to give up her bus seat to a white passenger in Montgomery, Ala., in 1955, Desmond's story from nine years earlier received little attention until recent years.

Prof. Isaac Saney, a senior instructor of black studies at Dalhousie University in Halifax, has said that unlike Parks, who was part of a well-organized protest movement seeking its day in court, Desmond's act of defiance was a singular act of courage.

Desmond's legacy is being increasingly recognized. Her name now graces a Halifax Transit harbour ferry, and there are plans for streets in Montreal and Halifax.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
justincase
Board Meister

Post by justincase »

Snman wrote:While I cannot question the efforts and achievements of Viola Desmond or her courage for that matter, I have to wonder why we need to push John A. Macdonald off the ten spot and into the abyss. A statue of him was vandalized in Montreal and another of him was spray painted head to toe in Regina. For crying out loud, he was the first Prime Minister. Should we all be ashamed to be Canadian or something? I have to think that political correctness has made it's way into Canadian currency. What do others think?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/22 ... eiled-soon

Besides, the Native issue, Conservative John A. MacDonald had to resign over a bribery scandal. (typical Conservative..lol)
1) People forget conservatives used to be fiscally conservative. After harper, they have become fiscally liberal and socially racist. Fascism is the only thing they wish to conserve.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Prof. Isaac Saney, a senior instructor of black studies at Dalhousie University in Halifax, has said that unlike Parks, who was part of a well-organized protest movement seeking its day in court, Desmond's act of defiance was a singular act of courage.

Not to take anything away from Parks, but Desmond certainly deserves kudos for acting under her own volition.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lol. Sat in a theatre. Well that makes her more important than our first prime minister. What was i thinking
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Queen K wrote:What's wrong with change?

Change in currencies and on currencies has been happening since Roman times.

To Viola Desmond! :130:

It was in 1946 when she rejected racial discrimination by sitting in a whites-only section of a New Glasgow, N.S., movie theatre. She was arrested and fined.

Even though Desmond has been compared to Rosa Parks, the U.S. civil rights hero who refused to give up her bus seat to a white passenger in Montgomery, Ala., in 1955, Desmond's story from nine years earlier received little attention until recent years.

Desmond's legacy is being increasingly recognized. Her name now graces a Halifax Transit harbour ferry, and there are plans for streets in Montreal and Halifax.

QK, I also toast Desmond. She was courageous indeed. I was only questioning the need to toss John A. Macdonald but I was unaware that he was simply moving to a higher currency, as d0nb pointed out. However, please don't confuse my post with opposition to change. That was not my point.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lol. Sat in a theatre. Well that makes her more important than our first prime minister. What was i thinking

No JFlem, you're not seeing it right.

She was black and sat in the Whites Only section of the theater. A crime based on the colour of her skin. She was saying my skin doesn't make me a criminal in the face of racist man-made laws. A crime which may have seen her lynched in the USA.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

John has a stamp :) Was he even Canadian? Time for fresh faces on our money.
I still miss $2 bills, we could bring those back. And the thousand dollar bill ( altho stores hated breaking them for me LOL)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lol. Sat in a theatre. Well that makes her more important than our first prime minister. What was i thinking

No Canadian has played a role of greater importance than Sir John A.

Without him, BC and the rest of the West would probably be part of the US. The fact that I tend to think that might have been preferable to becoming colonies of Central Canada does nothing to diminish my respect for the magnitude of the accomplishments of Macdonald.

I wonder who will be bumped to make room for him. Perhaps Trudeau will insist that all the 'dead white guys' be crowded onto one bill. [icon_lol2.gif]
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

d0nb wrote:
No Canadian has played a role of greater importance than Sir John A.

Without him, BC and the rest of the West would probably be part of the US. The fact that I tend to think that might have been preferable to becoming colonies of Central Canada does nothing to diminish my respect for the magnitude of the accomplishments of Macdonald.

I wonder who will be bumped to make room for him. Perhaps Trudeau will insist that all the 'dead white guys' be crowded onto one bill. [icon_lol2.gif]

You are likely right, but would the change make those minorities look at JT as a hero? He tried to pull the Indo-Canadians on board, now he's looking for the Afro-Canadian support.

Am I incorrect in my line of thinking? He likely has a promise for next election like low cost education to pull his sorry *bleep* through another term. Just my line of thinking.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Be happy it isn't JT's Daddy's face on the bill. ohoh..
maybe next year, he can go on the $1,000 bill
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

HA! Which is being taken out of circulation because it won't be legal tender, just like any left over one and two dollar bills.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

normaM wrote:Be happy it isn't JT's Daddy's face on the bill. ohoh..
maybe next year, he can go on the $1,000 bill

Could be mistaken as TP if they did that.... toilet paper!

Return to “Canada”