Decriminalizing all drugs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Decriminalizing all drugs

Post by Jflem1983 »

JLives wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Rather see it all stay illegal. Spent a few years on the crack. No need for that stuff to be legal

So the legality of the substance had no bearing on you abusing it but you think it should still be illegal? Why exactly?

Seen enough to know this crap is illegal for good reason. Lost more friends than some of u likely ever had .
Go to a few funerals maybe you will see what i mean.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Seen enough to know this crap is illegal for good reason. Lost more friends than some of u likely ever had .
Go to a few funerals maybe you will see what i mean.

Being illegal did not seem to save your friends, nor probably will legalizing it save anyone. People who are going to die from drugs will do it regardless if it's illegal or not.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Jflem1983 wrote:What is broken is the enforcement side of the problem. Hand out 25 years for heroin possesion. Watch the death rate drop.

Then we all have to pay astronimical amounts to keep them in jail so they won't use heroin and die. No, i'd rather let them die and put that amount of money toward care for the elderly who need care thru no fault of their own.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jflem1983 wrote: Who on earth could support giving junkies drugs.

People who are simply sick and tired at throwing away our tax money on failed strategies that have been proven not to work, and that have only made the situation costlier and more destructive for everyone. Not everyone likes to stumble blindly and blissfully along repeating in their heads the conservative mantra of “If it’s broke, don’t fix it”.
Last edited by Ka-El on Mar 3rd, 2018, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Grandan wrote:The reason we have a drug problem is because Dr's prescribed opiates for pain to patients without properly monitoring them.
Just about every story I hear is about someone with an injury who then got hooked and could not withdraw.
Blame the drug companies for creating a problem knowing full well that they would have customers for life.
From what I heard, Dr's were given vacations for prescribing vast quantities of opiates to their patients. My neighbour was prescribed for phantom pain from a lost limb. Criminalizing the final user is like putting your car in jail for speeding.
Yes, give the users clean drugs and then help them get clean through managed programs and get the police out of that racket.
The cost of handing out free drugs to users is small compared to the criminalization created by ill-informed law makers.

Now there's an area which could be targeted. If physicians are going to prescribe opiates longterm then they should be responsible for monitoring those patients for as long as it takes to maintain them, or wean them off properly. Not just cut them off and leave them to go get their drugs on the street. I have also met people who that's how they got hooked on these things, and they weren't the type to abuse intentionally.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

^ another "hard like" phlegm, or should we throw those people in jail too?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lots of doctors to jail yes
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lots of doctors to jail yes

Doctors, junkies ... anyone we shouldn't arrest?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

We are already short on doctors as it is. Putting them in jail means only the prisoners will have enough doctors.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:What is broken is the enforcement side of the problem. Hand out 25 years for heroin possesion. Watch the death rate drop.

I loved it when the penalties were far more severe, the profits made it worth the risk, $200 a quarter gram in those days vs $100 for the whole thing now.

yea,, tougher penalties work lol
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

cutter7 wrote:

I loved it when the penalties were far more severe, the profits made it worth the risk, $200 a quarter gram in those days vs $100 for the whole thing now.

yea,, tougher penalties work lol

Hence why people are dying.

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

cutter7 wrote: yea,, tougher penalties work lol

Conservative mantra: "If it's broke, don't fix it" :smt045
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Something I don't quite get, example being stories lately in the news, are people who had a drug problem got cleaned up, and have a nice life (wife, family, job), and then decide that would be a great time to risk it all and do drugs again. Then die.
I can see why a person who is currently addicted at the time doing these opiods each day, until one day they overdose and die. But having been thru addiction and then turning their life around, why go back to the drugs that will surely kill them sooner or later, leaving their family and friends to mourn a child without a father, a wife without her husband, a mother without her son?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

My understanding is that with some drugs the addiction never actually goes away. Heroin for example, what I've heard is that you'll spend every second of the rest of your life wanting more. Even years after.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

CapitalB wrote:My understanding is that with some drugs the addiction never actually goes away. Heroin for example, what I've heard is that you'll spend every second of the rest of your life wanting more. Even years after.

Gotta out smart the baggie

Return to “Social Concerns”