A gas increase again?!

sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: A gas increase again?!

Post by sublime »

Dizzy1 wrote: Its always been interesting to me how people keep trying to compare apples with ground beef. The thing about the items people keep comparing fuel to have free competition. If you don't like the price that store A is selling their iPhone or Samsung or litre of milk for, theres always a store somewhere that sells it for less or is willing to give you extra perks. With fuel, there is no or little competition. If one vendor sells a litre of fuel for 113.9, all the other vendors in the city sell for the same price. When a vendor ups their price, all the other vendors in the city up theirs and match it as well. If Walmart is selling the latest and greatest Samsung for $199, Best Buy might be selling it for less or giving you a gift card to offset the price. That is the difference and that is where so many of the complaints stem from.

Bang on. People that defend the industry are usually invested in it in some way. As mentioned above how is it in other countries or even cities the prices vary significantly across a city? It's price fixing and there's no way of spinning it.
Last edited by sublime on Mar 2nd, 2018, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Yet we have a poster in this thread who confirmed they wouldn't bother crossing the street to save a couple cents. So why would a gas station lower their price compared to the one next door? Not like they'll get any more customers. As mentioned earlier, I know of a station in town that discounts one day every week, yet I never see lineups of people filling jerry cans and an empty station across the road.

Maybe after a few decades of stats it's been confirmed that Kelowna buyers don't care enough about small price variations to warrant trying to undercut, so they don't.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Gas station owners have to feed their families too! Kelowna is just an expensive place to do business/reside.
Sure do love Rutland!!
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

slootman wrote: Maybe after a few decades of stats it's been confirmed that Kelowna buyers don't care enough about small price variations to warrant trying to undercut, so they don't.

Until the new Costco brings a gas station...Then it won't be small
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Ha ha all this stuff about market forces and gas prices gravitating towards one another. The reason for the increase given in the article was, and i quote:

The increase at the pumps is due to a spot market hiccup in the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, he explained

Apparently this is why Kelowna pays way more than Edmonton, or is there other forces at work here?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:BC has 4 terminals for fuel distribution, here is yesterday February 28 rack price for each one.
Prince George is .707 per/litre (last 10 days up .05 cents) Mar 02, .686
Kamloops is .775 per/litre (last 10 days up .05 cents)Mar 02, .754
Vancouver is .881 per/litre (last 10 days up .078 cents)Mar 02, .855
Nanaimo is .897 per/litre (last 10 days up .078 cents)Mar 02, .871
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Pretty sure u can blame this latest increase on taxes
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
jof123ca

Post by jof123ca »

Funny how you never see gas in the US jump 40 cents a gallon overnight.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

jof123ca wrote:Funny how you never see gas in the US jump 40 cents a gallon overnight.

They wouldn't dare do that down there. They all have guns and are prepared to use them when they are getting ripped off.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jflem1983 wrote:Pretty sure u can blame this latest increase on taxes

Which tax has changed, these 4 are the only ones on fuel in BC:

• Motor Fuel Tax
• Carbon Tax
• Federal Excise Tax
• GST
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Don't forget the Transit tax in the lower mainland.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:

Which tax has changed, these 4 are the only ones on fuel in BC:

• Motor Fuel Tax
• Carbon Tax
• Federal Excise Tax
• GST

Not even close.

Every roughneck pays 2k a check to income tax. The drilling company pays millions in wcb and ei. The oil company buys the lease pays to survey and clear the land build the roads etc . Pays taxes on all of it then the oil company is taxed when it comes out of the ground. Taxed again when it leaves the refinery and finally taxed again when u buy it at your pump. So why is it expensive. Tax
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Which tax has changed, these 4 are the only ones on fuel in BC:

• Motor Fuel Tax
• Carbon Tax
• Federal Excise Tax
• GST

Jflem1983 wrote:Not even close.

Every roughneck pays 2k a check to income tax. The drilling company pays millions in wcb and ei. The oil company buys the lease pays to survey and clear the land build the roads etc . Pays taxes on all of it then the oil company is taxed when it comes out of the ground. Taxed again when it leaves the refinery and finally taxed again when u buy it at your pump. So why is it expensive. Tax

Total cost + profits on each litre of fuel is within the Rack Price. Todays rack price on regular gasoline from Kamloops terminal is .754 per/litre
Not PC

Post by Not PC »

Funny how gas in Alberta is 30 cents a liter cheaper, El Gordo. Just more BS... :-X

http://www.albertagasprices.com/
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Not PC wrote:Funny how gas in Alberta is 30 cents a liter cheaper, El Gordo. Just more BS... :-X

http://www.albertagasprices.com/

Took a look at terminal at Edmonton rack price today its at .66 per/litre, meanwhile the rack price at Kamloops terminal today is .754 per/litre (Edmonton is .094 cheaper at the terminal)
So now go check fuel prices of a place roughly 2.5hr (reason Kelowna is roughly 2.5hrs away from Kamloops terminal) either east or west of Edmonton (can't go south because Calgary has its own terminal that delivers to southern part of Alberta). Calgary rack price is .684 per/litre.
Then take a look at difference of the taxes on fuel between BC & Alberta.

Return to “Central Okanagan”