Naramata family being evicted

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Naramata family being evicted

Post by southy »

If we look at Penticton, I know of at least two employers who are financially successful at what they do. Yet when they have hired individuals with an enhanced skill set, they will try and keep them at whatever wage they started at. And that wage usually isn’t much more than minimum. They continually lose these employees because they demand more money, yet they will hire individuals who lack both social skills and education. Why? Because they will work for minimum wage and don’t EXPECT more. Yet they will *bleep* about how hard they work and how little they earn except not to the employer. So who do we blame? The employer who knows how to play this game and line their own pockets or the poor employee who doesn’t have the social skills, education or awareness to want to better themselves so they stay in a go nowhere position at minimum wage living in fear and anger that they might lose their job.

How does the system change the mindset of these individuals and show them that better opportunities exist but they will have to become personally accountable to that change. A process of probably taking each one by the hand and leading them step by step ... yet this is where it gets crazy because some will simply say ..."I'm not going to learn that, or take this program, or spend my time listening to someone tell me what I need to do." Nope - they would rather sit and *bleep* and earn their minimum wage. So it is very difficult. The employer - well really is their decision as to what they pay and what kind of employee they want to attract and retain.

I tend to agree somewhat with what Twobits is saying in that people have to choose where they can afford to live with the skill set they bring to the table. They simply can't have it both ways. By that I mean some of these individuals have a sense of entitlement to increased minimum wage and government subsidies for rent, etc. Perhaps they need to look at what their options are in other more affordable markets. But then again this would take education on their part and is a real catch 22.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

seewood wrote:Not sure what "relatively" static is... taxes and insurance are continually going up. Any other costs involved such as maintenance are also going up as perhaps the workers received a...pay raise.

I’m sure there are plenty of instances where a sizeable rent increase is justified, I’m more concerned with “flipping” tenants in order to impose large rent hikes with nothing more than a coat of paint in between.

Vacation rentals are a whole different discussion, it it is worth noting some larger centres where vacancy rates are low are moving to ban the practice outright.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There was once a time where taking some level of responsibility in your employees’ welfare was the sign of a progressive employer. Health coverage, pension plans, increased vacation allowances etc. etc. have pretty much fallen off the radar if you don’t work for the government or belong to a union. There are some exceptions to be sure, but in general isn’t this a sign that that individual is being left on his own? What was wrong with the old way, where employers offered careers not just jobs?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Southy, you had some strong opinions when that lady was being asked to leave the house she was renting from the Naramata centre. She had no problem taking her plight to the media, isn’t that along the same lines as the “entitlement” we’re talking about?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

No!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:No!

Why not? Was she not claiming a right to someone else’s property?
myperson

Post by myperson »

There is no entitlement issue with this current renter. It's more a case of a house being left empty while a family goes homeless. A single Dad of 2 young children at that. Money isn't the problem as the rent was being paid and was almost 2k a month. There are almost 200 vacation homes that sit empty in the penticton area. Its not a case of people not affording these rentals per se, but a lack thereof .Greed is our ultimate demise.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

vacation homes are a reality because of the RTB..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

myperson wrote:There is no entitlement issue with this current renter.

It's an unfortunate situation to be sure, but is the property owner breaking any laws? Doesn't ownership carry some rights? What reason can there be for playing this out in the media if not to try and force the owner out of a decision he has a legal right to make?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It’s easy to lose sight of the forest when you focus on individual trees. My point is that this have/have not thing is here, and growing. The simple fact that left-leaning governments are coming to power more and more is an indication that this is not a passing hiccup.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:It’s easy to lose sight of the forest when you focus on individual trees. My point is that this have/have not thing is here, and growing. The simple fact that left-leaning governments are coming to power more and more is an indication that this is not a passing hiccup.

Don't buy that one bit. Left leaning? BC has been right leaning for a long time until recently. I would bet money that the owners in question are very RIGHT leaning folk and couldn't care less about who they toss out on the street.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its their home period, and no ones being tossed on the street they have been given plenty of notice i wouldn't feel the least bit guilty as they've done nothing wrong
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

LTD wrote:its their home period, and no ones being tossed on the street they have been given plenty of notice i wouldn't feel the least bit guilty as they've done nothing wrong

Yes it is; your are 100% correct, but that doesn't make it right. At this time of year, (especially if the owners won't be moving in themselves) the Christian thing to do would be to give plenty of notice; (perhaps more than what is required) and assist them in finding new accommodations.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

myperson wrote:Greed is our ultimate demise.

Greed is expecting others to provide for you for some reason.

Like a home, because apparently, you know better what people supposed to do with THEIR OWN HOMES.

It's their home.

They can leave it empty.
They can live there every other summer.
They can come up for weekends.
They can rent it out.

It's up to them, not you.
myperson

Post by myperson »

LTD wrote:its their home period, and no ones being tossed on the street they have been given plenty of notice i wouldn't feel the least bit guilty as they've done nothing wrong

Tossed out.. maybe not so much. With an occupancy rate sitting at 1% do you think it's easy find a home in this market? Do you really believe that 2 months is ample time to find a decent 3 bedroom home? There's shop that's been set up as a home-based business, farm animals and equipment to consider as well. Can this person jump into a two-bedroom apartment? Perhaps. Is that suitable accommodations, no. The fact that the home is to be left vacant is ridiculous and not the right thing to do.

Return to “South Okanagan”