Canadian consequences from WA's fish farm ban

Cactusflower
Banned

Canadian consequences from WA's fish farm ban

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e38200537/
There are at least two Canadian politicians who need to stop procrastinating on this fish farm file, IMHO: Donaldson and LeBlanc.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Canadian consequences from WA's fish farm ban

Post by rustled »

Hm.
Natural Resources Minister Doug Donaldson has said the province is working with First Nations, the aquaculture industry and the federal government as it reviews the fish-farm tenures, many of which come up for renewal this June.
Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc said in a statement that the Canadian government is committed to regulating a responsible and sustainable aquaculture sector.

"We understand Canadians' concerns around aquaculture and are committed to science and evidence-based decision making," LeBlanc said.

He added that the government is convening a panel, announced Feb. 5, on the appropriate use and consideration of scientific evidence as it relates to aquaculture regulation.

He also pointed to a $24-million investment in the Aquaculture Sustainability Program, which aims to streamline regulation, improve regulatory management and increase scientific knowledge of the sector.

I see nothing objectionable in here. Looks to me like cooperation and cautious use of resources. Science-based policy decisions.

What, precisely, do you want Donaldson and LeBlanc to do?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

rustled wrote:Hm.
Natural Resources Minister Doug Donaldson has said the province is working with First Nations, the aquaculture industry and the federal government as it reviews the fish-farm tenures, many of which come up for renewal this June.
Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc said in a statement that the Canadian government is committed to regulating a responsible and sustainable aquaculture sector.

"We understand Canadians' concerns around aquaculture and are committed to science and evidence-based decision making," LeBlanc said.

He added that the government is convening a panel, announced Feb. 5, on the appropriate use and consideration of scientific evidence as it relates to aquaculture regulation.

He also pointed to a $24-million investment in the Aquaculture Sustainability Program, which aims to streamline regulation, improve regulatory management and increase scientific knowledge of the sector.

I see nothing objectionable in here. Looks to me like cooperation and cautious use of resources. Science-based policy decisions.

What, precisely, do you want Donaldson and LeBlanc to do?

They should be doing their jobs.Those floating fish farms should never have been allowed in the first place. There have been so many 'accidents' over the past couple of decades that other jurisdictions around the world have banned them long ago. The first one that comes to mind is Chile, but I'm sure you can do the research if you find it necessary.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:They should be doing their jobs.Those floating fish farms should never have been allowed in the first place. There have been so many 'accidents' over the past couple of decades that other jurisdictions around the world have banned them long ago. The first one that comes to mind is Chile, but I'm sure you can do the research if you find it necessary.

So to clarify, you want Donaldson and LeBlanc to ban ocean fish farms, and nothing less will satisfy you that they are doing their jobs.

Yes, of course I'd like to see factual, science-based evidence that banning ocean fish farms is necessary. As the one who wants to change policy, it's your responsibility to show it's necessary. You've been unable to provide the evidence to support this action in another thread. Are you able to provide it here?

Until then, I will continue to support what Donaldson and LeBlanc are doing, as described in the news story. To my mind, it would be irresponsible for them to react to alarmist propaganda. To my mind, it is not their job to pander to alarmists who are unable to provide science-based evidence to support their case.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^It's their job to see that the Cohen Commission recommendations are implemented. The Cohen Report was released in 2012 and very few have been addressed, most notably ignored is the one that refers to salmon farm licences.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:^^It's their job to see that the Cohen Commission recommendations are implemented. The Cohen Report was released in 2012 and very few have been addressed, most notably ignored is the one that refers to salmon farm licences.

So you are NOT telling us they should immediately enact a ban on ocean fish farms?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

rustled wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^It's their job to see that the Cohen Commission recommendations are implemented. The Cohen Report was released in 2012 and very few have been addressed, most notably ignored is the one that refers to salmon farm licences.

So you are NOT telling us they should immediately enact a ban on ocean fish farms?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? What I'm saying is, DFO has had six long years to address the issues brought up in the Cohen Commission report, one of which was the Atlantic salmon farms. Instead of curtailing licences, there have been hundreds more approved. This is unacceptable.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:
rustled wrote:So you are NOT telling us they should immediately enact a ban on ocean fish farms?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? What I'm saying is, DFO has had six long years to address the issues brought up in the Cohen Commission report, one of which was the Atlantic salmon farms. Instead of curtailing licences, there have been hundreds more approved. This is unacceptable.

The Cohen report did not recommend an immediate ban on ocean fish farms.

So, I'm asking again: are you, or are you NOT, calling for an immediate ban on ocean fish farms?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 6th, 2018, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

We are allowed to ask posters to clarify what they've posted. I'm asking you to do that, please.

In this thread, you've stated you want Donaldson and LeBlanc to do their job, and for you this means they should implement the recommendations of the Cohen report.

You seem to feel this would mean they would implement a ban on ocean fish farms. And yet this is not a recommendation of the Cohen report. (Feel free to correct me if this is not what you believe.) You also seem to feel a full ban should be implemented immediately (again, feel free to correct me if this is not what you want), and yet you've been unwilling to provide us with good evidence to support changing public policy to ban ocean fish farms.

I'm not sure you understand what the Cohen report actually does recommend, or why some of those recommendations are not playing out on the timeline you would prefer. The issues the Cohen report addressed are fairly complex, and as the Cohen report explains, there's not a lot of data with which to support evidence-based decisions.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

See my last reply on the B.C. 'game meat' thread. If you wish to discuss anything further with me, you'll have to do it on another public opinion forum.

Return to “Canada”