Fined for selling game meat

Cactusflower
Banned

Fined for selling game meat

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -game-meat
Well, how about that? Hunters have been doing this for years. The only reason this is news is because this guy was targeted. Some people would call it 'entrapment'.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Fined for selling game meat

Post by alanjh595 »

Why would it be "entrapment"? He not only got caught once but twice.

en·trap·ment
the action of tricking someone into committing a crime in order to secure their prosecution.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=entrapme ... e&ie=UTF-8

Was he tricked?
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Cactusflower wrote:Well, how about that? Hunters have been doing this for years.

Hmm, doubt it. Any white hunter caught would have the book thrown at him. Truck, rifle confiscated. Fined. Hunting privileges revoked.... native can hunt any time and just about any place. This is not the only fellow doing this I'd be thinking.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/220336/Fined-for-selling-game-meat
Well, how about that? Hunters have been doing this for years. The only reason this is news is because this guy was targeted. Some people would call it 'entrapment'.

hunters have not been doing this for years give your head a shake :cuss:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Shake your heads all you like. I happen to know a 'non-First Nations' hunter who has been selling meat from the animals he's 'harvested' for years. And no, I'm not going to mention his name here..........or anywhere else. I can't believe I'm the only one who knows someone like this.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

my apologies i don't really classify first nations people as hunters since they don't have to follow the rules and yes i have heard of that happening and in fact witnessed a reefer truck with Alberta tags being loaded with moose on mculloch service road

i was referring to actual hunters
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Cactusflower wrote:Shake your heads all you like. I happen to know a 'non-First Nations' hunter who has been selling meat from the animals he's 'harvested' for years. And no, I'm not going to mention his name here..........or anywhere else. I can't believe I'm the only one who knows someone like this.

It would be appreciated by the people of BC if you reported these activities to the RAPP hotline. If you aware of someone doing this and you don't report it you are part of the problem. Anyone that has more game than they can legally share with family and friends and resorts to selling it is likely taking more than they are entitled to. It is illegal to sell it. Do you support illegal activities?
Someone has to say it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Oops... sold to the wrong person, better luck next time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/220336/Fined-for-selling-game-meat

Why must you continue to make things up? Anyone who does this is a poacher. This guy is a poacher.

Glad he was caught. The fine should have been much higher.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Admit it. What really pizzes you off is it just proves that "FN sustenance" hunting is just a veil for a cash side business. I know a whole lot of non FN hunters, and I cannot think of any that hunt to sell meat. For lord's sake, most are happy to even get lucky enough to get an animal after FN's have creamed of everything that can be shot from a logging road a month before the season to everyone else opens.
And they certainly don't market meat. At most they will share a cpl of steaks or a small roast with some appreciative friends.
It's no different than the FN Salmon sustenance fishery in the Okanagan. Know the right people on the reserve, and fish are 5 bucks a piece to anyone with cash.
You hate that truth though don't you?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

No hunter has ever sold game meat. Ever. Only a poacher would sell game meat, and this individual is a poacher, not a hunter. Sounds like you condone theft though, as you refuse to report the thief with whom you appear to be closely acquainted. Either that, or you're telling stories, again.

Cactusflower wrote:Shake your heads all you like. I happen to know a 'non-First Nations' hunter who has been selling meat from the animals he's 'harvested' for years. And no, I'm not going to mention his name here..........or anywhere else. I can't believe I'm the only one who knows someone like this.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As Alan suggested, this person wasn't tricked into selling the meat, he was willing participant in selling the wild game, twice. And because there was a tip that the was doing it, who knows how many animals died whether in season or not, just to sell meat. As GF and a few others have said, this is

POACHING. Here's the story:

A Similkameen man has been fined $2,500 for illegally selling about $150 worth of deer, moose and elk meat.

Clint Holmes, 29, is a natural resource and cultural technician with the Upper Similkameen Indian Band. He pleaded guilty to one count of trafficking in wildlife Monday in Penticton court.

Following up on a tip in October 2015, undercover officers with the BC COS purchased $150 in deer, elk and moose meat from Holmes on two occasions.

The $2,500 penalty is the minimum allowed by law and was agreed upon by the Crown and defence — $2,000 of the fine will be diverted to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund.

The court heard that Holmes has been on leave from his employment since the charges were brought against him in May 2017. He told the judge he’s struggled with his own identity as an outdoorsman since being charged.

“It’s made me very upset and I’m very remorseful. You will not see me in here again,” he told the judge.

Holmes will have one year to pay the fine.

A charge against Holmes’ wife for trafficking in wildlife related to the same investigation was stayed as a result of his guilty plea.

What a gentleman, he pled guilty to prevent his wife from having a criminal record. :up: That is his redemption right there.
Last edited by Queen K on Mar 5th, 2018, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

generalposter wrote:

It would be appreciated by the people of BC if you reported these activities to the RAPP hotline. If you aware of someone doing this and you don't report it you are part of the problem. Anyone that has more game than they can legally share with family and friends and resorts to selling it is likely taking more than they are entitled to. It is illegal to sell it. Do you support illegal activities?

Of course not. I wasn't aware at the time that he was doing anything illegal. I haven't lived in that area for more than a decade. Perhaps someone has reported him by now if he's still doing this.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Not a hunter at all, this person is a disgrace!!! Just another entitled soul that doesn't feel that he/she has to play by the rules.

If I knew anyone that pulled this garbage I would be reporting them and no longer having anything to do with them.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Stay on topic!* :-X
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “South Okanagan”